Need advice on Phone Upgrade?

dav1257

I am due a phone upgrade and cant decide on what to get?

Any advice?

What do you have at the moment? Anything you specifically want in a phone?

Give us more details. What type of phone do you want ? What's your budget ? Do you like Androids or Windows Phone ?

Like others have said be useful to know what you have at the minute.

I've currently got an iphone 4 which is currently serving me well, but i'll probably move to the galaxy S3 when my next upgrade is due. I've got a nexus 7 which is probably swaying my choice a bit.

Like others have said be useful to know what you have at the minute.

I've currently got an iphone 4 which is currently serving me well, but i'll probably move to the galaxy S3 when my next upgrade is due. I've got a nexus 7 which is probably swaying my choice a bit.

or the S4 if it's released by then

Using iphone 4 now and quite like it.

In uk so handsets are almost always free. Monthly payments are not an issue. Just want opinions on what ppl are using and what they like or dont like about their phones?

Dont need a phone for any specific purpose. Just sumthin i will enjoy using.

Any1 got any experience with the new windows 8 phone?

I've heard good things about the Windows 8 phone. If you feel like a change from IOS, there is obviously Samsung Galaxy S3, HTC have some good phones, aswell as the Windows Phone. And there is also the Iphone 5 if you wish.

I sold my iphone 4 to buy a second graphic card. But if I were you, I would look into the samsung galaxy s3, or the s4 (when its released) like LeeJC73 said.

If I could upgrade my phone now, I'd probably go Lumia 920. I've got my hands on it a few times and it feels really good and snappy. If you have an iPhone 4 and you like it, maybe go iPhone 5 and enjoy the fact that you know the OS and have all your favourite apps there already.

I think part of what makes a big problem for windows phone is that most people have already gotten used to their mobile OS already and have everything set up there.

I went from ios to android and i haven't looked back, both great operating systems i just really enjoy the customization of Android and what google does to integrate everything from gmail to chrome. i would recommend the samsung s3 or if you can get your hands on it the nexus 4.

Agree on the integration on Android. It would be hard for me to switch from android to something else, but for windows phone I might try... ^^

Buy the next HTC 5" Full HD smartphone or a Nokia Lumia 920. Everything else is crap.

• MB MSI Z77A-GD65

CPU Intel Core i7-2600K + Corsair H60 + 2x Alpenfohn Wing Boost

RAM Corsair Dominator 16 GB

GPU MSI Radeon HD6950 Twin Frozr II / OC

SC Asus Xonar D2X

SSD Corsair Force GT 120 GB

HDD WD Black 1 TB + Blue 1 TB + Green 500 GB

PSU Corsair HX650

Case NZXT Phantom 820 Black

Rheobus NZXT Sentry LXE

Monitor: 3x LG IPS231P + Philips 298P4Q

Hi-Fi Onkyo HT-S3305

OS Windows 8.1 Pro

I dont see any future on Windows phone, google doesnt develop any apps for it for example.

I would go with Android device / iPhone 5, I just got a Gs3, but just because i was bored of iOS

I prefer the closed system and overall ecosystem of iOS, so I would recommend an iPhone 4S/5, but it depends on your individual preferences.

You were a noob once too!

I like Android phones as you can root and flash a custom ROM onto them - gives you a lot more control even if their market place isnt as controlled as ios.

I hate apps randomly going onto the internet without premission to download anything they can so with Android once you root it you can use a firewall app to whitelist what apps can access the internet and via what method ie mobile or WiFi.

I have configured my htc to last nearly 4 days of use.

I like the HTC always a good built phone

I think the only way to do it dav1257 from my experience is to find the phones you like or that have been suggested here and look at the battery life and major features. then see if there are any complaints about it then make your finally choice.

Does nobody have any opinions on the forthcoming Blackberry 10? or we assuming they're pretty much dead now?

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

No. We just don't know what to expect. ): So we can't really give any advice on that.

I have no complaints with my Galaxy Note II. Best phone I have ever used, put a custom ROM on it and overclocked it to to a 1.8Ghz quadcore with a 800Mhz GPU clock rate, the phone is so fast and responsive.

Been using my HTC One X for about 6 - 8 months now. It is an amazing phone and would strongly recommend it. Amazing build quality and screen as well as 32gb storage. Personally i like HTC sense and believe the apps/widgets included are useful. The only real gripe i have is i have to charge every night but there are only a few phones that can last more than a day with my usage scenario.

If you are looking for something that offers good specs at an amazing price i would recommend the Google Nexus 4 as you will get new updates before anyone else and will get to enjoy the "pure" Google experience.

As for windows phone7 and 8 I've had no personally experience but i know many people who are happy with them and see no real problems with the OS. I do like the tight Facebook integration and wish Google would do something similar with android.

Going with the iPhone4s or iPhone 5 would give you the benefit of using the apps you already have and not having to learn a new interface and OS but you wont have the same customization you get with Android or WP devices.

Just an aside, i recommend going with 3 as they offer unlimited data on a £15/month rolling contract which is amazing value for money.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

For a good, mid-sized, Android phone, I really the the Nexus 4 is a good choice. Since it is Google's phone, and Android is Google's software, there will always be software updates every time a new version is released. It also has pretty good specs, no 4G but that really isn't that big of a deal for most people.

If you are feeling adventurous or don't particularly want all the apps that come with Android or iOS, then Windows 8 Phone seems like a fun thing to try out. The Nokia Lumia 920 is pretty much the flagship Windows 8 Phone at the moment, and it's specs are just as good as any other phone on the market.

If you don't care a whole lot about tons of customization and aren't particularly into phones and just want one to use, the iPhone 5 is a great option. It works very well, almost never crashes and its specs are as good as if not better than most other smartphones on the market at this time. Some little things like the lack of NFC may turn you off, but the way you described what you wanted in the phone I doubt it will.

Also, I suggest buying at BestBuy if you are looking for a good warranty. I know they have it for iPhones and I think they have it for most other smartphones, too. It is either 15 dollars a month for 2 years for an iPhone, or about $250 as a down payment for and iPhone. I know other phones are just 10 dollars a month but I don't know what the down payment is. For that you get a brand new phone no matter what happens, as long as you can give them your old phone. So unless you lose it you will always be able to get a new one.

Dont be afraid to give the Note II a try. I've been using one for two weeks now. It has great battery life, Best performing android device ive personally seen, and the "s pen" is great for typing and browsing. The only con i can think of is the size, but Id rather have the big phone more times than not. Good luck.

im still rocking my brick phone!

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

The battery life . . . or lack of it does really annoy me actually.

Gonna check out the note 2 in store actually. Not really looked at it b4.

Bit different which is always nice

Since you have an iphone I don't really see the reason to leave ios unless you are looking for more customization.

Go for the Galaxy Note II. Fantastic battery life, overclockable, and it works great with custom ROMS. I have an S3 myself and I'm loving every minute of it.