Does XB281HK (60hz?) support 144hz using newer displayport 1.4a or 2.0?

MultiGamerClub
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
1 minute ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Is it possible to get this monitor to 144hz using newer displayport cables using 1.4a or 2.0?

Nope, the port on the monitor is only 1.2, so even if everything else was version 1.4a or 2.0, it would still be limited to 1.2. 

Besides, those early 4k panels didn't usually do too great refresh rates, even if you lower the resolution down, so there would be no guarantee that it would do 144Hz even if you managed to swap the control board for one that does support 1.4a DSC or something like that.

Found a used Acer XB281HK in the wild west listed with only being 60hz. But I think this is mostly due to displayport didn't support it with 1.2 version.

Is it possible to get this monitor to 144hz using newer displayport cables using 1.4a or 2.0?

Its listed at 230$ and it's only an hour away from me😅, kinda wanna go to 4k gaming.

(And have 3 monitors again!)

Asking here, googled it but there's varied opinions from 2018-19 about it with the displayport question.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

1 minute ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Nope, the port on the monitor is only 1.2, so even if everything else was version 1.4a or 2.0, it would still be limited to 1.2. 

Besides, those early 4k panels didn't usually do too great refresh rates, even if you lower the resolution down, so there would be no guarantee that it would do 144Hz even if you managed to swap the control board for one that does support 1.4a DSC or something like that.

17 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Alright, guess I'll look around for a decent ips panel with 4k capabilities.

Even 75 Hz would be okay too, just above the qvqrage 60hz 🤣

If it's gonna be a new m28u or m32u looks to be decent options.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

30 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

Even 75 Hz would be okay too, just above the qvqrage 60hz

75Hz is within the range of reasonable for an overclock, even on DP1.2, it's just that if this is gonna be a gaming panel you really want it to be a 100Hz+ display.

31 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

If it's gonna be a new m28u or m32u looks to be decent options.

I own the FI32U, which as far as I can tell from reviews is just the M32U with a more gamer aesthetic, same panel and everything, and can say, it's a really good monitor. It's well priced, looks good, has a ton of features, and if you care about refresh rate, the panel (at least in mine) can do 240Hz if you're willing to lower the resolution to something like 1080P or 1440P. I'd just make sure that you get the 32" variant, Windows Scaling is a nightmare and the less you have to rely on it, the better.