is this $470 Built good?.

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Dual channel is better than single channel,  and Dual Rank is better than Single Rank (unless you're going for overclocking)

4 GB sticks are always Single Rank because they don't make those tiny memory chips on the stick in small enough capacity to make a Dual Rank stick that's only 4 GB

They make 4 gbps ( 512 MB) , 8 gbps (1 GB) and 16 gbps (2 GB) chips, and each stick needs a multiple of 8 chips to work, so you make a 4 GB stick with 8 x 512 MB chips.

Probably 70% or so of 8 GB sticks are Dual Rank , and pretty much all 16 GB sticks are Dual Rank

Dual Rank doesn't have as much benefit as Dual Channel, let's just say that in some applications or games you may get 5-10% performance bonus if you use Dual Rank sticks instead of Single Rank sticks. You don't have to stress about it.

Dual channel doubles the bandwidth between the processor (and therefore the integrated graphics) and the memory, so it's always good to have Dual Channel if you use integrated graphics.  BUT you have to remember that you can always ADD more memory sticks, so if your budget is very tight now but can find a bit more money to buy a second stick later (in a month or two, at next paycheck), it may make more sense to buy just one stick now and allocate a larger percent of your budget to a part you are unlikely to change so easily, like your motherboard, or your SSD.

You can use the computer with just one stick, and when you have the money you can buy the 2nd stick and simply plug it in and you have Dual channel mode and double the memory amount.

Yes, 3600 Mhz memory sticks would be better if you use integrated graphics, but the performance difference between 3200 Mhz and 3600 Mhz is not that big ... think of it like having 35 fps with 3200 Mhz sticks and 37 fps with 3600 Mhz ... you'll get a couple extra fps. Up to you if the price difference makes it worth it.

Dual channel vs Single channel will be a bigger hit ... like 35 fps with dual channel versus 25 fps for Single channel but again, it's temporary, the moment you install the second stick your fps goes up.

With SSD, you will definitely notice a difference between a 120-128 GB SSD and a 250 GB one.

A 120 GB SSD will barely be enough for the operating system and maybe some small game but a 250 GB SSD will offer more space ..

Also it's recommended and a good idea to always have at least around 10% of the capacity free, otherwise a SSD will work slower and degrade faster than normal.. so with a 120 GB SSD, you're looking at 40-50 GB just for Windows, around 10-15 GB free space ... you'll be left with around 40-50 GB available for programs and games, too little.

i have several BUilt from Local Store. with price and component

the build will be used mainly for Valorant 1080p75hz. and Excel Workflow. ( other game with will be Minecraft shaders ).

Build Number 1

Price : 470USD

5600G                                                  240$

MSI B450M A-Promax                         70$

Team Elite Plus 2x4 3200mhz              47$

Adata SX6000lite 128GB                      26$

HDD 1 TB ( Free )

Be Quiet! u9 500W 80+ Bronze           56$

Venom RX nemesis                              24$

Question

1. Is this overkill for valorant? 

2. Is there is component that you might other sugest for better price and performance

3. Im using MX1504GB single channel Ram. i got 40-60fps low valorant 720P. would it be better if i have just add another ram?

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

I highly recommend a good B550 board with good VRM cooling for a 5000-series, even a 5600G. I almost made the mistake of using a cheaper board with my 5900X and I'm very glad I listened to others who said it wouldn't end well. Word to the wise. If you're getting a good processor, don't skimp on the other stuff - it's like building a 700 hp race car without enough transmission or cooling to handle the extra power.

Edited by An0maly_76

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

I highly recommend a good B550 board with good VRM cooling for a 5000-series. I almost made the mistake of using a cheaper board with my 5900X and I'm very glad I listened to others who said it wouldn't end well. Word to the wise. If you're getting a good processor, don't skimp on the other stuff - it's like building a 700 hp race car without enough transmission or cooling to handle the extra power.

5900X and 5600G are very different CPU's with very different power needs.

Almost any board will run a 5600G just fine. 5900X needs good power delivery and VRM cooling.

Three things I would note:

• Agreed with An0maly that I would go for a B550 board.
  • Since you will use an iGPU, your RAM speed will make a big difference. Try to see if you can find a 3600 kit, but mind the timings.
  • It's good to see you didn't cheap out on the PSU.

For the price, I'd say you assembled a good system.

I would also say aim for a B550 motherboard. 

Aim for at least 250 GB SSD - it's not about capacity, it's about performance and endurance ( 250 GB and higher SSDs have more "channels" - like dual channel ram vs single channel ram - and more spare memory that can be used to extend the life of the SSD.

Buy 2 sticks of 8 GB or buy a single 8 GB stick  and buy a second stick later, if you can gather enough money to buy a second stick a month or two later, you'll be able to live with a single stick for now. Or just buy a 3-5$ mouse with 2 buttons and a scroll wheel and spend that money on a 2nd 8 GB stick of ram.

19 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

i have several BUilt from Local Store. with price and component

the build will be used mainly for Valorant 1080p75hz. and Excel Workflow. ( other game with will be Minecraft shaders ).

Build Number 1

Price : 470USD

5600G                                                  240$

MSI B450M A-Promax                         70$

Team Elite Plus 2x4 3200mhz              47$

Adata SX6000lite 128GB                      26$

HDD 1 TB ( Free )

Be Quiet! u9 500W 80+ Bronze           56$

Venom RX nemesis                              24$

Question

1. Is this overkill for valorant? 

2. Is there is component that you might other sugest for better price and performance

3. Im using MX1504GB single channel Ram. i got 40-60fps low valorant 720P. would it be better if i have just add another ram?

5600G is definitely not overkill. I did some quick math based on benchmarks I could find, and the iGPU in the 5600G might only be 25% or so faster than your MX150. I assume your current system is a laptop, since MX150 is a laptop GPU.

So it will run Valorant, but not significantly faster than your current setup. I would recommend getting a decent used GPU like a RX580 or GTX1060 or something like that. Should be able to find a RX580 for under 200 USD on Ebay if you shop around. New GPU's are very expensive at the moment, and won't fit your budget.

You seem to be confused. The MX150 has 4GB of video RAM. This is separate from your system RAM. How much of that do you have? Upgrading from 4GB of RAM to 8GB will make a difference to overall system performance, but won't help framerates much, if at all. If it is even possible to upgrade the RAM in your laptop (sometimes not).

14 minutes ago, maartendc said:

5900X and 5600G are very different CPU's with very different power needs.

Almost any board will run a 5600G just fine. 5900X needs good power delivery and VRM cooling.

Understood, however, my suggestion of B550 with good VRM cooling, was, of course, with the idea that a future 5800X / 5900X upgrade would be easier with no fuss / no muss. OP will likely want to step to a 5800X and GPU eventually. I'm honestly not a fan of B450 boards even with lower performing processors, especially MSI, after the trials and tribulations of upgrading my previous rig in 2020, and again when I planned to upgrade to the 5900X. It's quite telling when a manufacturer's tech support admits that their own BIOS update necessary for a board to use a 5000-series can fry the board. I will never deal with MSI or their components again, and I'll gladly pay the difference for a B550 over a B450, for many reasons.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Some recommendations:

- the weird choices you make are the 120 GB SSD, 240 GB SSD's are almost the same price.

- Same goes for the RAM, 2x8GB is like $10 USD more than 2x4GB. Always go for 2x8GB. Like others have said, fast RAM is important for the iGPU in the 5600G.

- I would order online and build yourself, the local shop's prices are not that great.

- Use the system now with the iGPU, and get a (used) dedicated GPU when you save up some more. The 5600G is still a good CPU even if you don't use the iGPU.

- B550 motherboards are slightly more expensive ($20) than B450. B550 ones are by and large better built. It is probably worth the extra $20.

I would get something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI B550M-A PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Za 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA SU635 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair SPEC-04 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($33.26 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: be quiet! System Power U9 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.00)
Total: $479.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-03-22 07:16 EDT-0400

im going to respond all at once in one post.

@An0maly_76 @maartendc

• Any suggestion on other mobo beside B550M MSI from @maartendc?
  • And also what i meant is MX1504gb with a laptop ram 8GB single channel.  i propose that it will significantly increase my performance if i upgrade to 16 / 12? because 720p60 fps on low setting is not realistic for valorant. 
  • also @maartendc also tweaking checking you reccomendation. in my place the price goes to 540USD. 

@HQuan it is.

@Mojo-Jojo

• any sugestion with MOBO?
  • i forgot 3600 exist. thank you. what is timing?? and how do i know if its compatible with mobo i suppose?.
  • yes PSU never go cheap. initially CX but u9 is cheaper and aslo bronze 80

@mariushm

• i can try to check 240GB ones

is 16GB necessary? i mainly game valorant tho. not doing heavy task. but i put i keep it in my mind for 16GB ram. since the price here for 16GB kinda squeeze budget.

Thank you for replying !

• and i also have alll peripheral from my laptop desk setup.

11 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

@An0maly_76 @maartendc

• And also what i meant is MX1504gb with a laptop ram 8GB single channel.  i propose that it will significantly increase my performance if i upgrade to 16 / 12? because 720p60 fps on low setting is not realistic for valorant. 
  • also @maartendc also tweaking checking you reccomendation. in my place the price goes to 540USD. 

The MSI board is good, but check other boards on the AMD tier list page, I would get tier  C or better.

The A-Pro from MSI is really good, and one of the cheapest options right now on PCpartpicker.

Asrock: B550 Phantom 4 or Pro4 are also good.

MSI: B550 Pro-VDH, Bazooka, Mortar, Gaming plus, etc. are also good.

Any Asus B550 board will be good as well.

Gigabyte: B550 Aorus Elite.

Getting 16 GB of RAM instead of 8GB on your laptop will NOT increase your valorant performance. Don't bother.

11 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:
  • i forgot 3600 exist. thank you. what is timing?? and how do i know if its compatible with mobo i suppose?.
  • yes PSU never go cheap. initially CX but u9 is cheaper and aslo bronze 80

is 16GB necessary? i mainly game valorant tho. not doing heavy task. but i put i keep it in my mind for 16GB ram. since the price here for 16GB kinda squeeze budget.

Thank you for replying !

• and i also have alll peripheral from my laptop desk setup.
  •  

Timing means CL18, CL16, etc. It means CAS Latency, which determines how fast the system can access the RAM. Anything CL18 or CL16 and below is good.

16GB is not strictly necessary. But since 2x8GB kits are much more common nowadays than 2x4GB kits, the price is almost the same.

Good luck.

35 minutes ago, Wolfycapt said:

@An0maly_76 @maartendc

It depends on your future plans. As I said, I'm not a fan of B450s, especially MSI. I used the Asus Tuf B550 Plus, though I should have gone for the Asus Tuf B550 PRO. Not because the Plus is a bad board, mind you, it just so happens that my case has a 3.2 Gen 2 that I can't use because the Plus doesn't have the header for 3.2, the PRO does. Not a deal breaker for me, but for some it might be.

Side note, my previous rig has an MSI B450M Bazooka that has been the bane of my existence. Refused to work with an upgraded video card (booted with original, would not boot with replacement) and shut down completely, requiring a 35-45 day RMA. When I wanted to upgrade to a 5900X later, MSI informed me that even though their site stated the B450M Bazooka supported the 5900X, that their own BIOS update to work with this CPU could fry the board. Seriously? Their support people also come off like they can't be bothered if you have questions. Like I said, not impressed with MSI.

Anyway, my point is that if a GPU and possible later 5800X / 5900X / 5950X upgrade are in your plans (or could be at some point), it would behoove you to spend a little more on the board now and not have to worry about it later. Ditto with the PSU, for the same reasons. Also, it's likely not as big a deal with a 65W TDP 5600G, but mainboard VRM cooling is a huge factor with its bigger brothers if one of those are in your future plans.

One other thing -- you're better off with more 3200 RAM than 3600 -- the CPU and GPU are the two biggest factors in performance besides the difference in loading times of HDD vs SSD / vs NVME / M.2.

Above 3200 Mhz RAM speed, you're looking at 1-3%, maybe 5% performance increase at best. Hardly a good bang-for-the-buck when you consider the extra cost.

I would also recommend a WD Blue SN570 M.2 -- they are a much better bang for the buck as well.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

@An0maly_76ah isee thank you

@maartendc even if its single channel to dual channel?

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

One other thing -- you're better off with more 3200 RAM than 3600 -- the CPU and GPU are the two biggest factors in performance besides the difference in loading times of HDD vs SSD / vs NVME / M.2.

Above 3200 Mhz RAM speed, you're looking at 1-3%, maybe 5% performance increase at best. Hardly a good bang-for-the-buck when you consider the extra cost.

I agree with your remarks re motherboards.

But keep in mind for the RAM speed: if using an iGPU like the one on the 5600G, the RAM is also used as VRAM (shared by the system). For the GPU performance, the difference between 3200Mhz and 3600Mhz can be big. Even 4000Mhz would be worth the cost actually.

The difference in framerates between 3000 Mhz and 3600 Mhz can be as high as 20-30% (see CSGO and Rainbow Six Siege results in video below; the other games are less significant because the GPU is too weak overall to run them)

For CPU performance, there are diminishing returns, 3200 or 3600 is best price/performance. (price difference is so small nowadays anyway between 3200/3600). Spending more to get 4000 Mhz or more is useless.

1 hour ago, Wolfycapt said:

@An0maly_76ah isee thank you

@maartendc even if its single channel to dual channel?

It will give you some extra CPU performance to go dual channel. But your poor gaming performance is due to your GPU (MX150) being too weak. Even the fastest RAM in the world wont change that.

3 minutes ago, maartendc said:

I agree with your remarks re motherboards.

But keep in mind for the RAM speed: if using an iGPU like the one on the 5600G, the RAM is also used as VRAM (shared by the system). For the GPU performance, the difference between 3200Mhz and 3600Mhz can be big. Even 4000Mhz would be worth the cost actually.

The difference in framerates between 3000 Mhz and 3600 Mhz can be as high as 20-30% (see CSGO and Rainbow Six Siege results in video below; the other games are less significant because the GPU is too weak overall to run them)

They say you learn something new every day. Didn't realize the integral graphics needed faster RAM. Is that an AMD thing, or the Intels also?

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

11 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

They say you learn something new every day. Didn't realize the integral graphics needed faster RAM. Is that an AMD thing, or the Intels also?

That goes for all iGPU's both Intel and AMD. They don't have their own built-in memory, so they use the system memory as VRAM. So the RAM speed, latency, and also single/dual channel becomes very important for framerates all of a sudden. The iGPU can only work as fast as it can access the system memory.

Dual channel is better than single channel,  and Dual Rank is better than Single Rank (unless you're going for overclocking)

4 GB sticks are always Single Rank because they don't make those tiny memory chips on the stick in small enough capacity to make a Dual Rank stick that's only 4 GB

They make 4 gbps ( 512 MB) , 8 gbps (1 GB) and 16 gbps (2 GB) chips, and each stick needs a multiple of 8 chips to work, so you make a 4 GB stick with 8 x 512 MB chips.

Probably 70% or so of 8 GB sticks are Dual Rank , and pretty much all 16 GB sticks are Dual Rank

Dual Rank doesn't have as much benefit as Dual Channel, let's just say that in some applications or games you may get 5-10% performance bonus if you use Dual Rank sticks instead of Single Rank sticks. You don't have to stress about it.

Dual channel doubles the bandwidth between the processor (and therefore the integrated graphics) and the memory, so it's always good to have Dual Channel if you use integrated graphics.  BUT you have to remember that you can always ADD more memory sticks, so if your budget is very tight now but can find a bit more money to buy a second stick later (in a month or two, at next paycheck), it may make more sense to buy just one stick now and allocate a larger percent of your budget to a part you are unlikely to change so easily, like your motherboard, or your SSD.

You can use the computer with just one stick, and when you have the money you can buy the 2nd stick and simply plug it in and you have Dual channel mode and double the memory amount.

Yes, 3600 Mhz memory sticks would be better if you use integrated graphics, but the performance difference between 3200 Mhz and 3600 Mhz is not that big ... think of it like having 35 fps with 3200 Mhz sticks and 37 fps with 3600 Mhz ... you'll get a couple extra fps. Up to you if the price difference makes it worth it.

Dual channel vs Single channel will be a bigger hit ... like 35 fps with dual channel versus 25 fps for Single channel but again, it's temporary, the moment you install the second stick your fps goes up.

With SSD, you will definitely notice a difference between a 120-128 GB SSD and a 250 GB one.

A 120 GB SSD will barely be enough for the operating system and maybe some small game but a 250 GB SSD will offer more space ..

Also it's recommended and a good idea to always have at least around 10% of the capacity free, otherwise a SSD will work slower and degrade faster than normal.. so with a 120 GB SSD, you're looking at 40-50 GB just for Windows, around 10-15 GB free space ... you'll be left with around 40-50 GB available for programs and games, too little.

all right thanks for all feedback!