Why wait to game?

I keep seeing the same thing on the forum over and over. Someone wants a budget pc and everyone tells them they need to buy expensive parts. There are sevral problems with this mentality. 

1. If someone wants a BUDGET pc them they most likely have the money for $180-250 CPU and $250-500 GPU.

2. As long as they buy the right parts they can upgrade as the money becomes available or they find good sales.

3. Why should you wait to save up to buy better parts when you can be playing games on the cheaper ones NOW!

4. Just because its not the top of the line parts dues not mean it CAN'T play games at good setting.(games today don't need THAT MUCH POWER)

Over and over I see the same thing ppl giving bad advice on what to buy, do you all hate budget pc THAT MUCH!?!

As long as it can play games on high setting what dues it matter if its a Pentium or an I7?

Is it necessary to to buy as GTX 780 when a GTX 750 ti will play all the same games?

Lol I haven't heard of someone recommending to wait for a 780 when the budget calls for a 750ti price range. Just saying.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Lol I haven't heard of someone recommending to wait for a 780 when the budget calls for a 750ti price range. Just saying.

This 

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

What you're describing is called "elitism"... it's a negative emotional response to something that any given individual considers "inferior".

Unfortunately, games being played on lower than the highest settings seems to trigger this response among many members of the PC gaming community. However, I don't believe I've ever encountered this here... on this forum.

At any rate, you can get a pretty decent gaming PC for around $800 US. Hell, I'm using one. So I guess you're correct?

EDIT: You also seem to contradict your point with this comment...

As long as it can play games on high setting what dues it matter if its a Pentium or an I7?

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Because E-PEEN.

← Do you see this guy? He bougth a 3400€ PC today just to be badass and have a better rig than his girlfriend. That's why. 

^

The majority of the times I see 'Save up and get better parts' is when the current budget won't get what the OP is looking for or when the compromises that come with building such a budgeted system are pretty harsh. 

At any rate, you can get a pretty decent gaming PC for around $800 US. Hell, I'm using one. So I guess you're correct?

800USD seems to be the sweet spot for most people's budgets while getting a decent system for gaming.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I keep seeing the same thing on the forum over and over. Someone wants a budget pc and everyone tells them they need to buy expensive parts. There are sevral problems with this mentality. 

1. If someone wants a BUDGET pc them they most likely have the money for $180-250 CPU and $250-500 GPU.

2. As long as they buy the right parts they can upgrade as the money becomes available or they find good sales.

3. Why should you wait to save up to buy better parts when you can be playing games on the cheaper ones NOW!

4. Just because its not the top of the line parts dues not mean it CAN'T play games at good setting.(games today don't need THAT MUCH POWER)

Over and over I see the same thing ppl giving bad advice on what to buy, do you all have budget pc THAT MUCH!?!

Is it necessary to to buy as GTX 780 when a GTX 750 ti will play all the same games?

I think it's because there are so many enthusiasts on this forum, who keep track of release cycles and so on... This generally translates into them wanting to wait for the next thing (like I'm waiting for the 880)...

This can be good in some scenarios, but for people buying a budget PC, usually they would not care as much (Not to say someone with a budget pc isn't an enthusiast.. Though it's proberly more likely that they don't want to spend as much, hence the budget thing).

A casual gamer would proberly not regret their purchase as long as their purchase lives up to their expectations..

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

800USD seems to be the sweet spot for most people's budgets while getting a decent system for gaming.

Especially if you go AMD. $800 can get you a decent rig that will play pretty much anything on the market currently, with plenty of room for upgrades.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

What you're describing is called "elitism"... it's a negative emotional response to something that any given individual considers "inferior".

Unfortunately, games being played on lower than the highest settings seems to trigger this response among many members of the PC gaming community. However, I don't believe I've ever encountered this here... on this forum.

EDIT: You also seem to contradict your point with this comment...

Not True

If you have an I7 and I can play the same games as you on a Pentium dues it matter that I don't have a I7? The point was that the ppl that tell you to save up and get something better are using higher end parts. They think all lower end parts aren't worth your money.

Not True

If you have an I7 and I can play the same games as you on a Pentium dues it matter that I don't have a I7? The point was that the ppl that tell you to save up and get something better are using higher end parts. They think all lower end parts aren't worth your money.

you're worried about playing the game only. Other people worry about playing the game and the experience as well. People enjoy pretty and detailed things the way they were intended to be experienced. 

If not we'd all be complacent with a thumb up our butt on a C2D and 9800GTX+ 

this thread sounds like a rehash of the guy with a GTX670 that gets on here to do nothing but complain about people wanting hardware and claiming his 670 dominates all the things. 

Error: 410

Not True

The different between a I7 and pentium is HUGE. Yes it is true not all lower end parts aren't worth your money. But with the performance you get with them, yea try to get something better. Save up more and get something better or buy now and play bad, and then spend more in the future. You're bound to buy something better, since you're gaming.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

it very much depends on the budget... so much that it is hardly even worth making a discussion about it, but i will say this, if you go low end and upgrade to medium you will end up spending more money in the long term instead of going medium right off the bat, again it depends on the budget and what you have planned, apu upgrade to dedicated gpu later etc etc, buying a low end system at first then swapping out mobo and cpu few months later is not cost effective.

sometimes it is for the better to wait out and save up a few more bucks to get something decent as a starting point if you're not in a big rush, it depends if the budget is extremely tight, if they plan to buy something that will be replaced or buy a base that they will expand on later.

It's a give and take. True, you can still play the games with lower component PC's, but what do you sacrifice?

I'm not saying that either way is the best - everyone is in a different situation. But some people appreciate being able to play games smoothly at high video settings (like 50-60 fps+) more so than just being able to play the game. I personally like to be on the overkill side a little to have a smoother gameplay experience (yeah, I've got 2 760's - wish I had gone the 780 route). That's why I personally recommend saving up a little more. It's really not that hard if you put your mind to it, and that game you want to play will still be around tomorrow.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

I think one of the main reasons is people are trying to get the most out of their money, and the best way of doing that is saving just a little more then buying the next level up. Especially with budget rigs the next level up can provide a huge performance improvement for the extra money they're spending.

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

My budget PC is great and was 600$

Fx6300 for 110

Hd7850 for 115

Mb ram case HD PSU for the rest

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Fx6300 for 110

Hd7850 for 115

Yea, but hes even going lower. 

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

The different between a I7 and pentium is HUGE. Yes it is true not all lower end parts aren't worth your money. But with the performance you get with them, yea try to get something better. Save up more and get something better or buy now and play bad, and then spend more in the future. You're bound to buy something better, since you're gaming.

Huge you say how so? What would you need to do with a BUDGET pc that you NEED high end parts like a I7? Surfing the ne?t = No 2 cores dues that fine.  Gaming? = 2 core still is the standard for games today(BF4 being the only exception and it still plays fine on 2) Using work app like word/excel/tax? = no 1 core can do that fine. The POINT is its a budget you not going to do video editing or some other extremely heavy work load on a budget pc. 

Fx6300 for 110

Hd7850 for 115

Yet there are several that will tell you to scrap the 7850 and get a 7970 or a 770.

Yet there are several that will tell you to scrap the 7850 and get a 7970 or a 770.

I cant realy say about that, I built my computer before i found any tech forums, and only used amazon reviews to pick parts. Im surprised it didnt come out horrid.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I try not to drop the 'save up' post, but it just makes sense sometimes. The price may be right, but the value certainly isn't. The difference between 400€ and 500€ is mind blowing! The difference between 700 and 800 isn't, pretty much all of it is going towards the GPU!

For uber low budget builds i sometimes would recommend saving. I did so with a friend of mine. He wanted to spend 350-400€. I convinced him to spend 500€ and it was good imo. The value just rises faster than the price in that budget range.

who cares...

Not True

I'm assuming you meant my statement of you contradicting yourself is not true... but it is. You said "as long as it can play games on high". Not all budget hardware can play all games on high. At least, not at a decent framerate.

I have an FX-6300 and an R9 270x, and they can't play Crysis 2 on high. I can play it on medium-ish with no AA and get a decent framerate, but that's about it. And I haven't even tried playing Crysis 3.

But at the end of the day, it depends entirely on what you're trying to do. If you just want an HTPC... then you can do that on the cheap. If you want it to play games, you're going to have to spend more. And if you want it to play all modern games on the highest settings... you need to stop pinching pennies.

If someone comes here and says "I'm on a budget of $500 and I want to play Battlefield 4 on Ultra..." the only response I'd have is "good luck".

I'm assuming you meant my statement of you contradicting yourself is not true... but it is. You said "as long as it can play games on high". Not all budget hardware can play all games on high. At least, not at a decent framerate.

I have an FX-6300 and an R9 270x, and they can't play Crysis 2 on high. I can play it on medium-ish with no AA and get a decent framerate, but that's about it. And I haven't even tried playing Crysis 3.

But at the end of the day, it depends entirely on what you're trying to do. If you just want an HTPC... then you can do that on the cheap. If you want it to play games, you're going to have to spend more. And if you want it to play all modern games on the highest settings... you need to stop pinching pennies.

If someone comes here and says "I'm on a budget of $500 and I want to play Battlefield 4 on Ultra..." the only response I'd have is "good luck".

My Pentium G860 and my HD 5850 play Crysis 1,2 on high with no AA I don't know what the framerates are but it smooth when i play. Remember crysis has High, Very high and ultra settings, yea I cant play on ultra but that will not ruin the game.. Crysis 2 was not as demanding on my system as 1 was, I have been gaming on them for more than 2 years now.  

I only take a peak at the new builds and planning every now and then and it seems you're statement is wrong. Yeah, they might go over by 50 bucks, but really, most PC's are built to what the OP wants. And in some cases, when people want to buy a PC now, it just isn't the right time. Maybe HDD prices are through the roof or memory prices and it's just not practical to buy a $400 PC at the time. Waiting is sometimes key.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

Over and over I see the same thing ppl giving bad advice on what to buy, do you all hate budget pc THAT MUCH!?!

Granted often tech enthusiasts can get carried away, in general, and here specifically in this forum.

But there's a very simple and VERY GOOD reason to save up. Your gaming PC is an investment. Especially if you're trying to build it on a budget, that means you don't have a lot of money to waste, and that also means that you're likely going to KEEP THAT PC FOR A LONG TIME. You want it to last. AND you'll want it to still perform well for a long time with minimal expense.

Building cheap budget builds, sure you can get it RIGHT NOW, and sure it might play the games you want RIGHT NOW decently. But in 6 months it'll start to struggle with new games. In a year it'll be even worse, and in 2 years you won't be able to play new games at decent settings anymore.

Granted, there's a sweet spot. Spending over $2000 on 780 Ti's and i7 extreme edition CPU's might be kickass, but it's diminishing returns at that point. They're not THAT much better then a step down.

But taking your budget, and saving up to $800 to $100 instead of the usual $500 or 600 WILL make a big difference. Your PC will last longer, and will be a better value. You'll spend less in the long run by a noticeable margin while keeping performance high enough up there.

So sure, if someone is asking for a budget build, don't suggest i7's and top of the line graphics cards, but asking them to save up more is quite a good suggestion to boost them into the sweet spot of something like an i5 K edition CPU with R9 280x or equivalent graphics. And I can't stress enough how valuable getting a budget build to have an SSD boot drive is for boosting noticeable system performance. That snappiness of an SSD is just the best upgrade I've ever done to any PC.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I do not really understand the point of this thread, here on LTT and OCN, i have never seen anything like you have described, i have seen recommendations to save money, this is usually when the budget will not allow for anything acceptable to the users needs and wants.

I do agree that the next best thing is not needed, but for those few who are competitive, and enjoy trying to improve their skills in a certain game, will need a good PC to accomplish these wants properly.

You mentioned BF games, it is only right that people do pOint to a quad core CPU, it is middle ground for all games out there, a 2 core will bottleneck most cards out there that can deliver decent performance, to me this is a terribly balanced PC with no real thought on efficiency.

I could go on another 7 pages of how absurd your point is, but my bastard finger is now aching banging my fucking iphone screen, please do not make this thread again, it only wounds those with proper intelligence.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW