How do you stop the computer case from giving electrocution

MS-DOS
On 5/4/2022 at 3:37 AM, Bitter said:

Is your table metal? There's no way a laptop power supply could be passing high enough voltage into the laptop to shock you without frying the laptop. You need to get a multimeter and measure the actual voltage happening, set it on AC and check between PC and ground and laptop and ground and metal table and ground.

It's a wooden table. I'll take pics eventually, im busy for now.

Hi, here's finally the pics:

cw4z6aV.jpg

CufGIdf.jpg

KN1kwei.jpg

This includes all sockets (2) to be found in by bedroom. The second pic contains the socket where I plug the whole thing. The third pic contains the socket where I plug the bed lamp. It looks like trash but works.

The interesting part is that as you can see on pic 2, the socket has a cable that goes directly into the box with the 3 sockets where i plug the air purifier, a speaker and the PSU. Not sure how this works or if relevant for this whole thing.

Also, both sockets are flat, they aren't wired to earth.

Another note is that as you can see, on top of my computer I have the headphone amp, the silver box, and it's unplugged, because like I said before, it gives me the buzz when I touch the volume knob.

I can't also touch the laptop other than the keyboard because it's made out of metal.

Any tips etc? I would like to be able to use my laptop on my desk.

KN1kwei.thumb.jpg.ad847e091f1cce38309e226dd6fa733a.jpg

👀

1092051035_Screenshot_20220517-040016_SamsungInternetBeta.jpg.feecb6e6ca8289514ea7d7d2a212e59a.jpg

🧐

I am no expert but i dont think any of this is safe even if it "works"...

Also is this a vinyl floor? im serious that could very well also be part of your issues combined with the "most likely" not connected to earth electrical installation.  

well tbh i think you need to have an electrician look at and fix this all.

9 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

the socket has a cable

yeah... that is most likely your main issue... who knows what went wrong with this but it cant be good!

On 5/11/2022 at 2:53 PM, Guest 5150 said:

So no, it's not because he has no ground. It's litterally a shitty PSU design

it actually does look like a faulty  electrical installation foremost... (still not sure how the laptop also has this issue... 🤔)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

KN1kwei.jpg

Also, both sockets are flat, they aren't wired to earth.

Another note is that as you can see, on top of my computer I have the headphone amp, the silver box, and it's unplugged, because like I said before, it gives me the buzz when I touch the volume knob.

The outlet taped to the wall did not give good vibes to recommend you to fix it by yourself.

Get an electrician to fix it. Seriously. He/She will be able to fix everything in an hour or two.

If you live in a house with no grounding, ask him/her how much it is and ask him/her to install it, if you can pay for it.

It is important for safety of your stuff and especially for yourself.

Also, check with him about the possibility of installing GFCI breakers.

Getting shocked IS NOT NORMAL (unless it is from static electricity, but it is just a short spark and it stops after discharging).

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

it actually does look like a faulty  electrical installation foremost... (still not sure how the laptop also has this issue... 🤔)

He says he gets a buzz from the volume knob from the low voltage box thats insulated with cardboard on top the pc.

If you can explain that, I'd be super interested.

*hint, the switch internals are plastic, the knob is too.*

11 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

This includes all sockets (2) to be found in by bedroom. The second pic contains the socket where I plug the whole thing.

Picture 2 has a wall socket and a green arrow pointing at it. Out of the right hand side of the socket is a cable which looks like a two wire cable. If that supplies the wall socket and it is only two wires that is your problem.

Basic "3rd world" (primitive) wiring and something that most definitely wouldn't be allowed in this country.

You need the house wiring brought up to standard. It is dangerous as it is.

7 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

how do you know though,  do you have one of those? the housing at least looks metal'y to me, not sure about the knob...

7 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

No, i cant, its all very mysterious,  but i can somehow imagine there's really something majorly off with the outlets etc,  hence

On 4/27/2022 at 1:34 AM, Forbidden Wafer said:

But I really recommend you get an electrician to check it. 

🚨 🚨 🚨 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

13 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

how do you know though,  do you have one of those? the housing at least looks metal'y to me, not sure about the knob...

No, i cant, its all very mysterious,  but i can somehow imagine there's really something majorly off with the outlets etc,  hence

🚨 🚨 🚨 

I have power strips too. Those are cased in plastic. The plug ends and wires are insulated.

The leakage comes from inside one of the components. I see no bare wires touching anything.

So conclusion, muliple components are leaking high voltage (cause you can't feel low voltage) and some amount of current measured in amps.

Or this is just another BS thread. I'm thinking the later.

11 hours ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

The outlet taped to the wall did not give good vibes to recommend you to fix it by yourself.

Get an electrician to fix it. Seriously. He/She will be able to fix everything in an hour or two.

If you live in a house with no grounding, ask him/her how much it is and ask him/her to install it, if you can pay for it.

It is important for safety of your stuff and especially for yourself.

Also, check with him about the possibility of installing GFCI breakers.

Getting shocked IS NOT NORMAL (unless it is from static electricity, but it is just a short spark and it stops after discharging).

It's not a shock, it's a constant buzz, not sure how to describe it exactly. I don't know wtf the person that was here before me did but there is indeed a cable that goes into the socket coming from that triple power strip. It is an appartment, not a house, so no idea how you would connect this room to earth. There is another room that has a socket that looks like the one connected to earth. This room sucks but it's the one im using and im not going to be moving all this stuff since I will be moving somewhere else in some months/a year.

10 hours ago, RollyShed said:

Picture 2 has a wall socket and a green arrow pointing at it. Out of the right hand side of the socket is a cable which looks like a two wire cable. If that supplies the wall socket and it is only two wires that is your problem.

Basic "3rd world" (primitive) wiring and something that most definitely wouldn't be allowed in this country.

You need the house wiring brought up to standard. It is dangerous as it is.

This is an appartment built in the 70's I think. It's probably not allowed if it's a problem, thing is, no one comes here to do electrical inspections appartment by appartment. All countries have old stuff like this but no one uploads a pic on the internet.

Im moving soonTM from this old appartment so I haven't really bothered to get this sorted until I realized I was getting this buzz when touching the headphone knob, computer case or the laptop. The computer has 4000€ worth of components inside so im definitely interested in mitigating any risks.

The socket thing, that wire goes into the triple power strip. The way I see it is that this triple power strip gets power from this cable. Im assuming whoever did this, ran out of sockets to plug stuff, so instead of buying a larger power strip, he used one that he already had around (the triple one) and connected it directly into the socket.

2 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

I have power strips too. Those are cased in plastic. The plug ends and wires are insulated.

The leakage comes from inside one of the components. I see no bare wires touching anything.

So conclusion, muliple components are leaking high voltage (cause you can't feel low voltage) and some amount of current measured in amps.

Or this is just another BS thread. I'm thinking the later.

Why the fck would this be "a BS thread".

Anyway, how do I find what is causing this if it's a/some components?

I think im just going to call an electrician to look at this whole clusterfck and find the solution.

10 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

He says he gets a buzz from the volume knob from the low voltage box thats insulated with cardboard on top the pc.

The box is a magni 3, as far as I know it's made out of metal:

magni3plus-front-nl-1920.jpg

magni3plus-rear-1920.jpg

It does not feel like plastic at all.

On 5/6/2022 at 3:36 AM, Mark Kaine said:

Do have a carpet in your room?? 

There's something odd going on , not saying what op says isn't true... but as i have pointed out several times "no grounding" should not cause this (its not impossible just really unlikely) and now the laptop does it to?

Ima say carpet until proven otherwise!  🙂

No, it's not carpet. The floor is I think marble in english.
And I don't understand from which angle it makes sense that i would come here to lie about how I get an electric buzz touching a computer. Im going to block people that thinks im lying because that is just dumb.

9 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

ah ok, yeah it does look like metal. 

5 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

No, it's not carpet. The floor is I think marble

i see thats not it then probably. 

6 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

I don't understand from which angle it makes sense that i would come here to lie about how I get an electric buzz touching a computer.

as i said, you really need to get the electronical installations fixed in your room / house, there isn't much people can suggest otherwise, especially after you posted the pics, its kinda worse than anyone imagined,  i would have to guess.

Know what i mean? what is a suggestion you would expect,  other than "let it get fixed by someone who knows what they're doing, aka a electrician ." ?

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

28 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

Im moving soonTM from this old appartment so I haven't really bothered to get this sorted until I realized I was getting this buzz when touching the headphone knob, computer case or the laptop. The computer has 4000€ worth of components inside so im definitely interested in mitigating any risks.

thats the thing, this looks really dangerous for everyone,  especially for the pc and any people... 

So if you cant get it fixed i don't know another solution than to move and hope nothing bad happens until then.

Another thing is, IF something happens,  its unlikely any insurance would pay anything,  so yeah. Best advise would be not using anything that gives you that "buzz" until its fixed one way or another,  really. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, MS-DOS said:

The box is a magni 3, as far as I know it's made out of metal:

magni3plus-front-nl-1920.jpg

magni3plus-rear-1920.jpg

Its a low volt item, you can tell it's not high voltage..... 

Bet the knob pulls right off. It's plastic.

The housing of that device is metal, BUT you can clearly see its insulated from the PC case with card board.

A fella did mention that some metal finishes feel strange on the skin. This explanation I. Leaning towards.....

You can measure current. 

Multimeter.

Like I told the last guy with a similar issue.

He did Not have a resolve.

Curiosity has me wonder why no conclusion? Bait threads?

11 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

This is an appartment built in the 70's I think. It's probably not allowed if it's a problem, thing is, no one comes here to do electrical inspections appartment by appartment. All countries have old stuff like this but no one uploads a pic on the internet.

The socket thing, that wire goes into the triple power strip. The way I see it is that this triple power strip gets power from this cable. Im assuming whoever did this, ran out of sockets to plug stuff, so instead of buying a larger power strip, he used one that he already had around (the triple one) and connected it directly into the socket.

"All countries have old stuff like this but no one uploads a picture on the internet." - they most definitely don't all have wiring like that. totally illegal.

"The socket thing, that wire goes into the triple power strip." - the 6 outlet socket strip goes to, plugs into, the wall socket which doesn't have an earth wire. Illegal in civilized countries.

1.) This (tingling felt when touching metal case) has been discussed in a previous thread.
2.) A PSU is built in a metal box to go in an earthed, metal cased, computer.
3.) The PSU is designed to be connected to a properly wired source (wall socket).
4.) The interference suppression on the input of the PSU is connected to Earth (the case).
5.) The interference suppression works with 2 capacitors, one to Live (Phase) and one to Common (Neutral) with their other ends go to Earth. AC current flows through capacitors (that's how they work).
6.) In technically advanced countries electrical wiring is taken seriously.
7.) In "third world" countries (technically poor countries) it is not taken seriously.
8.) Picture 2 shows the wall socket fed by a 2 wire cable. There is no earth.
9.) There is nothing wrong with the 6 way socket strip - if connected to a correctly wired wall socket.

There is mention of the apartment being built in 1970. This is modern. The first house I owned was originally wired in the 1920s and wired correctly.

The first house I wired was in the 1960s - and wired correctly.