boot drive

chaz68

i got a 120 gb SSD for my OptiPlex at work and i was wondering how i set it up as a boot drive.

Remove and wipe any other drives in the machine with Windows installed on them

Put the SSD in the machine

Install Windows on it

Put the old drive back in if you still want to use it for storage

Set the appropriate boot priority order in the BIOS

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Middcore's post is probably the best way to do it, but I didn't wipe my original HDD when I set up my M.2 for primary. Which was nice, because I kept all my old data for backup in case, and I was still able to boot on the original drive if I really needed to.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

6 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Middcore's post is probably the best way to do it, but I didn't wipe my original HDD when I set up my M.2 for primary. Which was nice, because I kept all my old data for backup in case, and I was still able to boot on the original drive if I really needed to.

Not uncommon for Windows to get really upset about having installs on more than one drive in the same PC, from what I've seen. Can't recommend it, but if it worked for you that's cool. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

15 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Not uncommon for Windows to get really upset about having installs on more than one drive in the same PC, from what I've seen. Can't recommend it, but if it worked for you that's cool. 

Well, we ARE talking about my neurotic soon-to-be-retired / backup prebuilt. I installed my new rig's primary storage in the old one for backing up files last night, swapped over to new rig and fired up for setting up for everyday use this evening.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!