Rear exhaust fan as System fan or CPU fan?

VelikiPCguy

I have a rear exhaust fan in my case and I'm wondering if I should connect it as a System fan or a CPU (Optional) fan on my mobo? The main CPU fan is where my AIO pump is connected to, but I've read that it's better to connect case fans as optional CPU fans cos then they will detect when the CPU is getting hot and starting working faster than if they were regular system fans.

But then what about the GPU? What if I'm in a game and the GPU is pulling most of the weight, would it in that case be better to have the rear fan as a system fan to help cool it down?

Use whichever header is more convenient. If you want the rear case fan to use the same rpm % as the pump, connecting it to the cpu_opt header is fine.

It's often better for acoustics to run the pump at a fairly high rpm and fans at lower rpm when not needed. In that case, connecting the rear fan to a sys_fan header may be better if you want to prioritize low noise over better cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.