How long do AiOs last? Longer than I would've thought (pics inside)

1sascha

Just started to strip down my old system to salvage some parts for my new build and to check whether my old case could accommodate a 240 AiO in a top mount position (spoiler alert: it can't 🙄). In any case: I've had some anxieties over the age of the Corsair H60i in there for a while now plus I wanted to dismount it from the rear and use it as a template to see if a 240 would even have a chance to fit up top/clear the mobo. And that was the first time I got a really close look at the tubing ... and it was a little scary. (Sorry about the dirt and dust, BTW).

20220303_14394-6.thumb.jpg.f1163a7f819d37673be4ce5db95e4814.jpg

20220303_14462-8.jpg.4b0907a421fe54419f3ded018cf39ff0.jpg

I couldn't find a production date on the unit, but I do know that I built this PC in Aug of 2013 with an air cooler and then switched to liquid after a short while (couple of months, maybe). So I guess it's been in use for around 9 years.

Mind you: I couldn't detect any obvious signs of leaks on either the AiO or on any parts inside the case, so that's probably a good thing. Although that rainbow-y looking bit on the tubing near the block looks odd... 😄 . But there has definitely been some evaporating action, since the rad sounded truly "gurgle-y" when I handled it. In any case: I'm glad I haven't started the system in more than a year now ... probably wouldn't have been a good idea to keep using it with this old cooler.

S.

When you buy something with moving parts and liquid, you really can't expect it to last forever. They're essentially built with a finite lifespan but we know that going in so its fine. I have a Corsair H50 from 2009 that is in very good condition and I've seen AIO's fail in a week, there really is no guarantee of any definite lifespan. 

As for yours in those pictures.. replace that. 

1 minute ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

As for yours in those pictures.. replace that. 

Well, duh! 🙂

It's already sitting in a plastic bag, awaiting its journey to a farm up-state.

S.

16 minutes ago, 1sascha said:

Well, duh! 🙂

It's already sitting in a plastic bag, awaiting its journey to a farm up-state.

S.

By any chance does sun hit your pc?

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

That is the first thing I noticed as well. UV really destroys plastics.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

22 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not really. It did sit on my desk, which was in front of a window.. but there was no direct sunlight coming through that window. Plus the side panel of the case it was in was tinted acrylic, so I doubt that much (direct) UV light ever reached the inside of the case.

While you guys are here and since I don't want to open a new thread for this:

I have an unopened, unused, never taken out of its cardboard box syringe of CoolerMaster Mastergel Maker sitting around here ... which is nearly four years old. Can I still use that stuff or should I order some new thermal grease?

S.

Squirt a little out, if it looks watery, or greasy then it has separated, if it looks good let er rip 👍🏻

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14