Struggles Converting Wii to HDMI

Roby_toberts

Hello! Was hoping someone might be able to give me some suggestions for getting my Wii to work via HDMI. 

(Warning for flashing lights for the video!!)

As you can see from the Video attached, using the RCA to HDMI converter that I have, the picture jumps, with weird coloured artifacts appearing. I previously purchased a different RCA to HDMI and had exactly the same issue. 

I've done some troubleshooting steps so far:

Tried two different converters as mentioned (exactly the same issue both times)

Replaced the Wii AV cable (no change)

Tested the HDMI cable and TV port with another device (works absolutely fine)

The last time I used the Wii on a TV with RCA ports it worked absolutely fine so I don't think it's the console, but it could have taken some damage as I moved house recently. 

The obvious answer is that it's the converters..I would have believed so with the first as it was a super cheap one from Amazon, but the second was a much better quality one from an electronics store and I feel it's unlikely they'd both have exactly the same issue.

Just wondered if anyone has seen a Wii do this before and knows what it might be, or has any experience converting to HDMI. Or can suggest a good converter (available in UK) that I can get that they have had luck with. I've been trying to get the damn thing working for months - I just want to relive the mario kart glory days!

Any help greatly appreciated 🤠

27 minutes ago, Roby_toberts said:

I can't remove audio.

I believe that this is an audio file. I'm running Chrome so I can't imagine why a video wouldn't work.  Aside from that there are HDMI mods out there for the Wii, some assembly required of course.

A couple of additional suggestions. Find a Wii U, for all the failings of the Wii U it is still also a Wii with a HDMI port. Plus you get the added bonus of having the ability to stream your Wii games to a portable screen. The Wii U GamePad may only be 480p but Wii games were 480p anyways so it's not much of an issue

Second suggestion, emulation. If you have a Wii and games it's easy enough to dump your discs. These days Wii emulation is good enough, there are some titles that have some funky stuff going on and scaling in some titles does odd things. Also you'll want to figure out a way to get a sensor bar (the Wii is a bit of an old device now, not as easy to find a USB or battery powered sensor bar as it once was). But once you get it going? It's pretty solid. You can get Mario Kart Wii running at 4K/60fps on just about anything

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

10 hours ago, skywake said:

A couple of additional suggestions. Find a Wii U, for all the failings of the Wii U it is still also a Wii with a HDMI port. Plus you get the added bonus of having the ability to stream your Wii games to a portable screen. The Wii U GamePad may only be 480p but Wii games were 480p anyways so it's not much of an issue

Second suggestion, emulation. If you have a Wii and games it's easy enough to dump your discs. These days Wii emulation is good enough, there are some titles that have some funky stuff going on and scaling in some titles does odd things. Also you'll want to figure out a way to get a sensor bar (the Wii is a bit of an old device now, not as easy to find a USB or battery powered sensor bar as it once was). But once you get it going? It's pretty solid. You can get Mario Kart Wii running at 4K/60fps on just about anything

GBA player says that this is a non-starter of an idea.

18 hours ago, IPD said:

GBA player says that this is a non-starter of an idea.

The GBA player isn't compatible with the Wii either so not sure what you're getting at here

2 hours ago, skywake said:

The GBA player isn't compatible with the Wii either so not sure what you're getting at here

I stand corrected.  I was thinking GCN.

In any event, Wii-U was a retarded system that 100% missed its mark, due to Nintendo never offering a DS player for it.

14 hours ago, IPD said:

In any event, Wii-U was a retarded system that 100% missed its mark, due to Nintendo never offering a DS player for it.

huh? The Wii U was after the DS so that wouldn't have made any sense. Surely the complaint would be that the the Wii never had a DS player

Also Nintendo did sell DS games on the Wii U eShop. So technically you could play DS games on the Wii U but not on the Wii

In any case, OP is asking for the best ways to play Wii games on a modern TV. The Wii U is fully BC with the Wii and has HDMI. Failure or otherwise, it makes for a better Wii than an old Wii

On 3/4/2022 at 10:33 PM, skywake said:

Never have had any luck getting the Wiimotes feeling right in Dolphin for games with lots of motion control even with a Wii sensor bar over the screen and turned on. God I hate bluetooth on PC. Ugh I wish Nintendo would port Mario Galaxy 2 and the Metroid Prime series to Switch already.