New Home Audio

Go to solution Solved by PenguinMaster,

Update: we bought 14AWG for low powered speakers and went with 12AWG for the subwoofer and tower-style speakers

Hi all-

My family is in the process of building a new home and in addition to running ethernet cables my dad wants to run speaker wire for his stereo in the wall. We are hoping to use either 14 or 12 AWG wire since some of the runs could be quite long (up to 80-100ft). We only need 2 wire cable instead of I see some are 4 wire. What cable brands have you guys had luck with? There are so many options it is almost overwhelming. We need a 500ft spool. I was trying to stay away from the CCA cable since I know that is not as good as pure copper, but the listings for the wire has that information buried so you don't notice it.

Thanks all

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.

8 hours ago, PenguinMaster said:

Hi all-

My family is in the process of building a new home and in addition to running ethernet cables my dad wants to run speaker wire for his stereo in the wall. We are hoping to use either 14 or 12 AWG wire since some of the runs could be quite long (up to 80-100ft). We only need 2 wire cable instead of I see some are 4 wire. What cable brands have you guys had luck with? There are so many options it is almost overwhelming. We need a 500ft spool. I was trying to stay away from the CCA cable since I know that is not as good as pure copper, but the listings for the wire has that information buried so you don't notice it.

Thanks all

are you looking at "speaker wire"? thats 2 wire
it sounds like your looking at actual electrical wiring you use for wiring plugs and outlets
just run good 12 awg speaker wire.
home depot and lowes and amazon all sell it by the spools

Update: we bought 14AWG for low powered speakers and went with 12AWG for the subwoofer and tower-style speakers

If you need me to follow up on something, please quote or tag me.