Possible Legal Issue

darcy4101

*I am not a lawyer in anyway*

I am currently watching the latest video and have seen the new case shirt Linus is wearing. It instantly struck me that it is the French car maker Renaults logo. It's not a perfect copy but looks basically the same. I just wanted to make you aware in case you were not aware. 

ren.JPG

shirt.JPG

Car maker that is not in the T-shirt business or merch business would have no claim to this to begin with. Not in their country or in Canada based on my albeit limited understanding of French and Canadian trademark law.

They also look NOTHING alike at all, I'm sorry but you have to be blind upside down spun around dizzy and or drunk to think they are remotely close. Two shapes does not trademark infringement make nor does it give a company a basis (sorry apple) to claim they own that shape or anything vaguely similar at a squinted distance. If this was all silver and tons of yellow mixed in then MAYBE they might have a claim.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The LTT shirt design is a box at an isometric angle, it doesn't do the Renault logo's MC Escher thing where your eyes get gridlocked on which way the box is facing.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

the top half is wrong, compared to the renault logo.

so even if renault had the lawsuit budget and desire of apple (lolnope) the 'isometric cuboid' argument would basicly disspel any possible dispute.

or in the words of fractal josh:

there's only so many ways to make a black cube

2 hours ago, Lurick said:

If this was all silver and tons of yellow mixed in then MAYBE they might have a claim.

And that's before discussing all the extra lines and squares shooting out, plus all the blue light effects. this isn't even remotely close to the same from a legal sense

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

On 2/26/2022 at 2:12 PM, Lurick said:

I'm sorry but you have to be blind upside down spun around dizzy and or drunk to think they are remotely close

That's a little strong. The logo is pretty clearly a renault logo to anybody who has been around that brand of car.

With no text, it could easily be an automotive trade show freebie

I don't know (and don't really care) about any legal ramifications, but surely you can see that the two shapes are identical?

Also, if not the renault logo, what is it supposed to be?

On 2/26/2022 at 2:26 PM, Needfuldoer said:

where your eyes get gridlocked on which way the box is facing

Huh. I never realized it was supposed to be 3D. I always just saw it as two chevrons with their ends overlapping.

There are just so many geometrical shapes to show on the logo...

The shapes seem similar, yet LTT seems to have it more of a box shape, Renault is not a box.

I edit my posts more often than not

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I am more worried over how terrible the design is. You have to have wild imagination and/or KNOW it is a PC case design to understand what is going on there. To me it feels every LTT store shirt design is like space a*ds sparkles around an arbitrary object that apparently is supposed to represent a PC component.