What hardware to use Getting ready for Gigabit

Carrot1151

Ok so this may be a dumb question but I currently have a 350 Meg connection officially (sometimes get up to 400 meg) and am running a Gigabit switch but I want to go up to Gigabit in future. So the question is should I upgrade to a faster switch to give headroom if i get the faster connection?

A gigabit switch will be fine for a gigabit connection from your isp. Anything faster than gig is much more expensive, and very rarely found on devices, so Id wait till you get a faster than gig plan to get a faster switch.

5 hours ago, Carrot1151 said:

So the question is should I upgrade to a faster switch to give headroom if i get the faster connection?

The answer would be no, your gigabit switch is already up to the task and will not be a bottleneck.

12 hours ago, PyCCo_TyPuCTo said:

The answer would be no, your gigabit switch is already up to the task and will not be a bottleneck.

Unless of course you copy files between that PC and another PC on the network while trying to download at the same time. 😉

But I agree that for most people, that's a none issue.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

you're fine with what you've got until you get faster than gigabit from your ISP.

The only reason people have 2.5G, 5G, and 10G are if they have 1G or higher from their ISP and/or they transfer lots of files around the network. Like i have a 10G fiber switch at home so i can transfer files from the PC to the NAS faster. Its completely unnecessary but its cool and i like it.