Do I need an unlocked CPU>

I'm trying to make a new PC, but I don't really know if I'm going to be overclocking, should I stick with the 12600K or downgrade to a 12400?

The 12600K also had 4 additional cores, so the overclocking is only a minor factor. What are you planning on doing with the computer?

1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

The 12600K also had 4 additional cores, so the overclocking is only a minor factor. What are you planning on doing with the computer?

Mostly Gaming, like fps games and some minecraft

If just gaming, the 12400 will perform similarly. Unless you are pairing it with a high end graphics card or are playing at low settings and chasing every last frame, the 12400 is a good way to save $100 on the CPU, $60+ on the motherboard, and it's not going to be a noticeable downgrade for your use case.

3 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If just gaming, the 12400 will perform similarly. Unless you are pairing it with a high end graphics card or are playing at low settings and chasing every last frame, the 12400 is a good way to save $100 on the CPU, $60+ on the motherboard, and it's not going to be a noticeable downgrade for your use case.

Ok, Thank you! Also, is a 3060 12 GB a high end card?

19 minutes ago, dafatboicalliou said:

Ok, Thank you! Also, is a 3060 12 GB a high end card?

Not in this context. It's a good card and can handle all of the latest games, but I was referring to 3080 or 6800XT levels of performance or better. The 12400 is perfectly capable of extracting maximum performance from the 3060.