Wiping a hard drive

Dr3bb2

I have a Windows SSD and then I also have a Linux hard drive I am wanting to wipe my Linux hard drive so I can use the space on there for Windows. How exactly would I wipe my Linux hard drive? I have not had my windows drive and Linux drive plugged in at the same exact time. 

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Open disk management and delete all the partitions on the hdd, then make a new one that windows can use.

And it will be safe if I plug in my windows ssd and Linux hhd at the same time? 

So long as you select the windows drive to be the boot drive it should be fine

8 minutes ago, Dr3bb2 said:

And it will be safe if I plug in my windows ssd and Linux hhd at the same time? 

if you have an EFI partition on the linux drive you will need to open disk part, select the linux disk and Clean it. it will be safe to put both in, but if the Linux bootloader is put on the windows drive you will need to reinstall the Bootloader before you clean the linux drive 

26 minutes ago, BionicSeaSerpent said:

if you have an EFI partition on the linux drive you will need to open disk part, select the linux disk and Clean it. it will be safe to put both in, but if the Linux bootloader is put on the windows drive you will need to reinstall the Bootloader before you clean the linux drive 

Thank you. It's done i think, but the name of the hhd is still Ubuntu in bios so I will have to figure that out.

20220216_143559.jpg

Edited by Dr3bb2

5 minutes ago, Dr3bb2 said:

Thank you. It's done i think, but the name of the hhd is still Ubuntu in bios so I will have to figure that out.

20220216_143559.jpg

You'll need to delete the EFI partition to make the "Ubuntu" listing go away, which requires diskpart.

Open Command Prompt and type "diskpart".

Wait for it to load and type "list disk"

Select the 2TB or 2000GB disk with "select disk n", where n is the number corresponding to your 2TB disk.

Then, type "list partition". There should be two.

Select each partition number with "select partition n", then type "delete partition override". Do this for both partitions. This will delete your current NTFS partition, so if you have any data on it that you care about copy it to your current Windows drive.

Close diskpart and go back to Disk Management, and create a new partition on the now-blank 2TB drive.

elephants

9 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

You'll need to delete the EFI partition to make the "Ubuntu" listing go away, which requires diskpart.

Open Command Prompt and type "diskpart".

Wait for it to load and type "list disk"

Select the 2TB or 2000GB disk with "select disk n", where n is the number corresponding to your 2TB disk.

Then, type "list partition". There should be two.

Select each partition number with "select partition n", then type "delete partition override". Do this for both partitions. This will delete your current NTFS partition, so if you have any data on it that you care about copy it to your current Windows drive.

Close diskpart and go back to Disk Management, and create a new partition on the now-blank 2TB drive.

Thank you. I appreciate the help.