transfer data to new drive

skootsmctoots

Hey, I am in the process of upgrading my and my kids pc's.  He currently has a SSD that windows and some games are installed on.  He also has a second HDD that has only games on it.  We are going to get him a new SSD to replace the HDD for the games.  What is the best way to xfer the current games from the HDD to SSD?  Would I clone it like it has windows on it even though it does not?  I am just not sure the best way to do this.

Thanks

It's probably best to do a clean re-install of Win-OS, then transfer the data of his old games over from the old SSD. Just make sure while installing Win-OS on the new drive the old drive is disconnected: just unplug the data or power cable. Likewise the HDD. Ensure the new SSD has sufficient space for all data and room for expansion.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

So you think I should re-install windows?  That drive is currently an SSD and is staying in place.  I am only wanting to get rid of the extra storage HDD and swap it out with an SSD drive.  Thanks

6 hours ago, skootsmctoots said:

So you think I should re-install windows?  That drive is currently an SSD and is staying in place.  I am only wanting to get rid of the extra storage HDD and swap it out with an SSD drive.  Thanks

I sensed a bit of an eye roll when you read that response, right ? 🙂 I get tired of hearing 'you shouldn't clone windows' when I've been doing it since ghost came out in the late 90s.

You are correct and I would just clone it. Easier than doing a file copy that might miss something. There's a potential gotcha here regardless of what you do.

If you clone the old drive to the new SSD windows will likely assign the new drive that's your target a letter as soon as windows sees it. Depends on how you do it.

When you're done cloning you will pull the old drive, but windows will still remember it as D drive, etc. The new drive might need to be manually assigned the same drive letter as the old drive after the fact.

Thanks for that, that helps a ton. And no eye roll on my end, I was just confused was all. Thanks again!