Issues with UCS-C240-M3 after powered off incorrectly

BigTechDaddy

Didn't have a chance to setup UPS, but the power went out and the server was turned off.

Now one of teh power supplies has an error showing.

716686260_powersupply.thumb.jpg.bba7bee798478ec0fd0fbef568f0338b.jpg

1097968312_kvmfaulty.png.c7887a94fe9b80b41dbcc8bbe68395c8.png

For some reason after I turned back on it keeps saying:

Discovery error has occurred, please power cycle the system and all the enclosures attached.
I've power cycled it 10+ times, nothing changed.

Also, when I turned it on for the first time it was saying that the second power supply was faulty or not working properly, and I thought that was the issue. After I removed it I got a good overall status but still the same error text.

438696014_CIMCandKVM.thumb.png.e6214f0fde376c1986dd0354674e13f6.png

I'm open to ideas on how to solve this

40 minutes ago, BigTechDaddy said:

Didn't have a chance to setup UPS, but the power went out and the server was turned off.

Now one of teh power supplies has an error showing.

For some reason after I turned back on it keeps saying:

Discovery error has occurred, please power cycle the system and all the enclosures attached.
I've power cycled it 10+ times, nothing changed.

Also, when I turned it on for the first time it was saying that the second power supply was faulty or not working properly, and I thought that was the issue. After I removed it I got a good overall status but still the same error text.

I'm open to ideas on how to solve this

Don't just remove the bad PSU, replace it. Then the error should stop.

3 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Don't just remove the bad PSU, replace it. Then the error should stop.

Thank you for the feedback.

is there anything I can do in the mean time?

I don't think its a PSU issue at all, the error is occurring when loading the LSI RAID card. Either the LSI card or one of the drives is bad but I can check more on the error tomorrow at work too.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

26 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I don't think its a PSU issue at all, the error is occurring when loading the LSI RAID card. Either the LSI card or one of the drives is bad but I can check more on the error tomorrow at work too.

I like your thinking, I don't think its the PSU becuase the system status changed when I removed it.

But I have a feeling that beucase the system didn't shut down properly, it might have affeced the storage.

Are those power supplies plugged into different circuits? Are you sure you don't have any tripped breakers that need to be reset? I'd expect the green light on the right power supply to be on if it's getting power...

42 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Agreed, since it's referring to "enclosures" (drive shelves). Try reseating the drive sleds and the backplane's connector to the RAID card. (Or disconnecting power and any battery the card has, in case losing AC power left it in a bad state.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

22 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Are those power supplies plugged into different circuits? Are you sure you don't have any tripped breakers that need to be reset? I'd expect the green light on the right power supply to be on if it's getting power...

Agreed, since it's referring to "enclosures" (drive shelves). Try reseating the drive sleds and the backplane's connector to the RAID card. (Or disconnecting power and any battery the card has, in case losing AC power left it in a bad state.)

no breakers tripped. I tried switching out the cables and the plugs, no change.

I will attempt to do teh researing, and battery removal. I'll come back with feedback

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in response, been traveling. I wanted to give you an update on what I did.

One of the PSU is dead, not sure why but its just not working anymore. the other one is fine.

When I unplug the SAS cables from the raid card it works fine.

I switched the raid card for an identical one but still had the same problem (no HDDs detected).

I also plugged the SAS cables into the mobo and no drives were detected.

38 minutes ago, BigTechDaddy said:

Sorry for the delay in response, been traveling. I wanted to give you an update on what I did.

One of the PSU is dead, not sure why but its just not working anymore. the other one is fine.

When I unplug the SAS cables from the raid card it works fine.

I switched the raid card for an identical one but still had the same problem (no HDDs detected).

I also plugged the SAS cables into the mobo and no drives were detected.

I wonder if the backplane died then?

If you take a drive out, assuming it's sata, are you able to see it on another machine with a SATA port?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

8 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I wonder if the backplane died then?

If you take a drive out, assuming it's sata, are you able to see it on another machine with a SATA port?

are you asking if the drives are dead? because some of them are newer than others, they wouldn't have all died. I actually replaced one 2 months ago.

I ran the HUU, still getting same error. It came after it ran the driver for the raid card. its so weird. when the sas cables are not in the card it boots fine but with no drives.

12 minutes ago, BigTechDaddy said:

are you asking if the drives are dead? because some of them are newer than others, they wouldn't have all died. I actually replaced one 2 months ago.

I ran the HUU, still getting same error. It came after it ran the driver for the raid card. its so weird. when the sas cables are not in the card it boots fine but with no drives.

That's really weird, yah I was seeing if the drives were dead but I doubt it myself. Either there is a short on the backplane or something but I really doubt that too. I'm kind of grasping here to see if there is anything that makes sense as to why they aren't working =/

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: