Buying my last parts, would like opinions (motherboard + cooler)

floe

Budget (including currency): €1750 ig about €300 for remaining parts

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming

Other detail: Don't wanna wait anymore

Building my first pc, I already have most of my parts except motherboard and cpu cooler. Would like opinions on my picks before I buy them. My list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hby23y 

I know they might be a bit on the expensive side but that's because there weren't too many good cheap options to my knowledge. Also I wanted an AIO to put at the top with my rgb fans on them for looks reasons. All help is appreciated 🙂

4 minutes ago, floe said:

Building my first pc, I already have most of my parts except motherboard and cpu cooler. Would like opinions on my picks before I buy them. My list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hby23y 

I know they might be a bit on the expensive side but that's because there weren't too many good cheap options to my knowledge. Also I wanted an AIO to put at the top with my rgb fans on them for looks reasons. All help is appreciated 🙂

Everything looks ok besides the processor, you should try and buy a CPU with an unlocked multiplier. if you're buying a water cooler you might as well put it to good use. Could also chuck in some extra storage if need be.

Don't need z690 for F type processors. You stil keep ram overclocking with b660

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fTxpgb

This would be a great mid-high tier motherboard but you can get away with the Asus Prime b660 to save some $

Cooler is a bit overkill but has a unique look so I'd keep it

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

I personally don't get the high airflow case with a single aio. I would just get a beefy 140mm tower cooler and some RGB fans in the top. It will perform similarly if not better and will last as well as keep water out of your system. 

Just my personal thing. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

45 minutes ago, floe said:

I already have most of my parts except motherboard and cpu cooler

Z690 isn't needed for 12400. I would go with H670 or B660. Some recommendations:

Asus PRIME B660-PLUS D4

You can stick with Z690 if you plan to upgrade to a higher end CPU in the future (12/13th gen Intel).

For CPU Cooler, AIO is overkill for a 12400. You can go with a nice tower cooler for it:

ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO

Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B

Scythe FUMA 2

Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black

Also, you don't need 6 fans. You can stick with one 3 pack.

33 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Don't need z690 for F type processors. You stil keep ram overclocking with b660

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fTxpgb

This would be a great mid-high tier motherboard but you can get away with the Asus Prime b660 to save some $

Cooler is a bit overkill but has a unique look so I'd keep it

What makes the gigabyte motherboard worth paying €40 extra for? from what I can see right now it has less features, or am I missing something? 

3 minutes ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Z690 isn't needed for 12400. I would go with H670 or B660. Some recommendations:

Asus PRIME B660-PLUS D4

You can stick with Z690 if you plan to upgrade to a higher end CPU in the future (12/13th gen Intel).

For CPU Cooler, AIO is overkill for a 12400. You can go with a nice tower cooler for it:

ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO

Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B

Scythe FUMA 2

Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black

Also, you don't need 6 fans. You can stick with one 3 pack.

The reason I went for an AIO and 6 fans is mainly because of looks. It's pretty expensive I guess, but I don't think I mind it very much. Wouldn't I lose out on too many features with those motherboards, or should it be fine?

42 minutes ago, mapegl said:

I personally don't get the high airflow case with a single aio. I would just get a beefy 140mm tower cooler and some RGB fans in the top. It will perform similarly if not better and will last as well as keep water out of your system. 

Just my personal thing. 

Why is that a weird combination? My choice for an AIO is mainly because of looks. This way I still get the RGB fans in the top without a bulky air cooler ruining the view. in terms of performance, it's already overkill so I don't think it's the most important thing at this point. 

18 minutes ago, floe said:

What makes the gigabyte motherboard worth paying €40 extra for? from what I can see right now it has less features, or am I missing something? 

Compared to the asus prime, back panel IO has wayyy more ports, completely different class of audio circuit, better power delivery, chipset cooling is better

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

1 hour ago, Arael said:

Everything looks ok besides the processor, you should try and buy a CPU with an unlocked multiplier. if you're buying a water cooler you might as well put it to good use. Could also chuck in some extra storage if need be.

Would you recommend something like a 12600K? The only benchmark I could find (for my main game that is) showed only a 5 fps difference over the 12400F, whithout overclocking which I'm not really planning to bother with. Maybe in the future, but not right now. I guess I don't need the cooling performance then, but the clean AIO look makes it worth it for me i think. Also, this way I could always upgrade to a better cpu if I wanted to sometime in the future.

11 minutes ago, floe said:

The reason I went for an AIO and 6 fans is mainly because of looks. It's pretty expensive I guess, but I don't think I mind it very much. Wouldn't I lose out on too many features with those motherboards, or should it be fine?

Any particular features you're looking at? If there are specific features on Z690 that you need, then there's no harm in doing that. Other B660/H670 are too close in price to Z690 boards that you might as well go with the Z690 board in my opinion.

1 minute ago, floe said:

Would you recommend something like a 12600K

4 more e cores = smoother gaming experience. All background task will be done by the e cores so the 6 p cores will remain uninterrupted for gaming. You really won't be able to tell that in benchmarks.

9 minutes ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Any particular features you're looking at? If there are specific features on Z690 that you need, then there's no harm in doing that. Other B660/H670 are too close in price to Z690 boards that you might as well go with the Z690 board in my opinion.

No nothing in particular I think, as long as I've got enough headers for my fans and rgb. I find it kind of hard to predict what I might wanna have. I guess I could upgrade to a k series cpu in the future with a z690 but i'm not planning on really so I don't know

10 minutes ago, Jonathan Lee said:

4 more e cores = smoother gaming experience. All background task will be done by the e cores so the 6 p cores will remain uninterrupted for gaming. You really won't be able to tell that in benchmarks.

You think this difference is worth paying 120 euros extra for? and have to send my 12400f back? I guess I could do that if it's worth the money

17 minutes ago, floe said:

No nothing in particular I think, as long as I've got enough headers for my fans and rgb. I find it kind of hard to predict what I might wanna have. I guess I could upgrade to a k series cpu in the future with a z690 but i'm not planning on really so I don't know

With the current price difference, I would stick with the Z690 board in that case. It will make easier to upgrade if you ever feel like it.

16 minutes ago, floe said:

You think this difference is worth paying 120 euros extra for? and have to send my 12400f back? I guess I could do that if it's worth the money

No not really. Why? cause for 40 euros more you can get the 12700f, which is way better value. If you already have the 12400f, I would stick with it because your current build is well balanced.

10 minutes ago, Jonathan Lee said:

With the current price difference, I would stick with the Z690 board in that case. It will make easier to upgrade if you ever feel like it.

No not really. Why? cause for 40 euros more you can get the 12700f, which is way better value. If you already have the 12400f, I would stick with it because your current build is well balanced.

Okay, I'll think some more about it but great to know the z690 is a good pick. Thanks a lot for the help!

3 hours ago, floe said:

Overspending on rams and fans but cant do anything about those so hope you are ok with somewhat sub par performance for what you can get at the same price but yeeted rgbs

Well atleast i can save you on board and cooler choice so id reccomend a cheaper b660 board like b660m ds3h, b660m-a pro, or b660 pro rs, if you need the extra ports you can just use a pcie card anyways

Cooler wise you dont even need an aio, makes absolutely no sense unless you wanna get a bclk oc capable board and oc to 5ghz+  a cheap 4 heatpipe would do the job but for rgbs id suggest getting a vetroo v5 cause decent performance and rgbs

10 hours ago, floe said:

Why is that a weird combination? My choice for an AIO is mainly because of looks. This way I still get the RGB fans in the top without a bulky air cooler ruining the view. in terms of performance, it's already overkill so I don't think it's the most important thing at this point. 

That's why I said that I personally don't get it. I knew that others, probably including you would see it differently. 

I get it, an AIO looks really cool. And I don't mean that sarcastically. 

You do you. 😉

That's what PC building is about. I don't know too much about the new Intel platforms, but I do have dabbled in a lot of different cooling adventures and as boring as it is, a beefy tower cooler is pretty much my most desirable solution. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

21 minutes ago, mapegl said:

That's why I said that I personally don't get it. I knew that others, probably including you would see it differently. 

I get it, an AIO looks really cool. And I don't mean that sarcastically. 

You do you. 😉

That's what PC building is about. I don't know too much about the new Intel platforms, but I do have dabbled in a lot of different cooling adventures and as boring as it is, a beefy tower cooler is pretty much my most desirable solution. 

I personally think a big chunk of metal fins like an aircooler looks way cooler than an AIO. But thats just me 😉

12 hours ago, floe said:

No need to go for a Z690 board with 12400F

Get a decent B660 motherboard for 150-180eur.

And you don't need a 240mm AIO for this CPU.

If you want the AIO for "aesthetics" reason that fine but it is basically a waste of money for cooling. 

Any decent 120mm tower cooler is enough. 

Something like a Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

On 2/15/2022 at 2:10 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Overspending on rams and fans but cant do anything about those so hope you are ok with somewhat sub par performance for what you can get at the same price but yeeted rgbs

Well atleast i can save you on board and cooler choice so id reccomend a cheaper b660 board like b660m ds3h, b660m-a pro, or b660 pro rs, if you need the extra ports you can just use a pcie card anyways

Cooler wise you dont even need an aio, makes absolutely no sense unless you wanna get a bclk oc capable board and oc to 5ghz+  a cheap 4 heatpipe would do the job but for rgbs id suggest getting a vetroo v5 cause decent performance and rgbs

This ram was the only 3600Mhz CL16 I could find at this price, apart from the non rgb version which would have saved me €5 but I don't really care about that. Am I missing something? also I got it on sale for like €80