Closeted Computer - Thunderbolt 4 PCIE Card?

Hi everyone, 

I am currently completely renovating the second floor of my house and am currently planning out my office space. My current plan is to create a step-up inspired by Linus and put my gaming PC in a closet on the other side of the wall and run a Thunderbolt 4 cable to a dock located on my desk. One of the main rationales for doing this would be the capability to quickly hot-swap my gaming PC and work laptop with one cable, and have all my peripherals simply work.

My current computer:

• Ryzen 5 3600x
  • Asus PRIME B450M-A
  • RTX 2700s

Now, this PC obviously doesn't have a Thunderbolt 4 port, but I was thinking about adding a PCIE card similar to this one from ASUS. Does anyone have any experience with these Thunderbolt 4 PCIE cards? 

My other concern is that the Thunderbolt 4 run is going to be around 10 feet or so. I know this is a long run for full Thunderbolt 4 capabilities.

Any advice would be appreciated! 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

That card ONLY works with a certain set of motherboards and yours is not compatible. Your board does not have thunderbolt compatibility.

If it's only on the other side of the wall you can just run some normal cables.

14 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Why thunderbolt?

At 10-15'?  Just run a video cable + a USB Cable, and add a USB Hub.  DP/HDMI work fine at 10-15' and USB will work fine at that length, too.

My main reasoning for doing this would be to quickly hot-swap my gaming PC and work laptop with one cable

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

Just now, Skipple said:

My main reasoning for doing this would be to quickly hot-swap my gaming PC and work laptop with one cable

KVM?

37 minutes ago, Skipple said:

Hi everyone, 

I am currently completely renovating the second floor of my house and am currently planning out my office space. My current plan is to create a step-up inspired by Linus and put my gaming PC in a closet on the other side of the wall and run a Thunderbolt 4 cable to a dock located on my desk. One of the main rationales for doing this would be the capability to quickly hot-swap my gaming PC and work laptop with one cable, and have all my peripherals simply work.

My current computer:

• Ryzen 5 3600x
  • Asus PRIME B450M-A
  • RTX 2700s

Now, this PC obviously doesn't have a Thunderbolt 4 port, but I was thinking about adding a PCIE card similar to this one from ASUS. Does anyone have any experience with these Thunderbolt 4 PCIE cards? 

My other concern is that the Thunderbolt 4 run is going to be around 10 feet or so. I know this is a long run for full Thunderbolt 4 capabilities.

Any advice would be appreciated! 

I in my time as an apprentice had to get one of HP´s thunderbolt cards working... And honsetly ? its really wasnt good and we ended up having to replace the system/motherboard. The drivers where just a mess and compatibility was a pain.

4 hours ago, ianspy1 said:

I in my time as an apprentice had to get one of HP´s thunderbolt cards working... And honsetly ? its really wasnt good and we ended up having to replace the system/motherboard. The drivers where just a mess and compatibility was a pain.

Interesting. Okay, looks like I am looking into a motherboard swap to do what I want to do. Thanks!

ask me about my homelab