Calling out gtx580 owners

papeles
Go to solution Solved by KamiKatze,

@papeles

I got myself a GTX 580 reference design (Point of view) for the exact same purpose of passing the time until Maxwell releases their high end cards.

I'd say it's a good value. I got mine for 120€ a month ago. It runs Titanfall maxed out, bioshock infinite too. Far Cry 3 runs on High with 4xAA. Haven't really tested more. All were in the 40-60 FPS range with mild dips. Your milage may vary. I haven't yet tested how hard the 1.5GB VRAM bottleneck the card but i don't think it's too bad.

I run stock voltages (1V) because the stock cooler is rather meh for overclocking, and i overclocked it by 7.5% (i think 830 MHz core), then it got unstable.

The stock cooler isn't really noisy but not silent either. The rest of my system is super silent, the GPU is the noisiest part. At idle it's pretty much inaudible, at load it blow pretty hard. :D

My fan 'curve' is flat until 55°C and the goes straight up to 85 °C (100%).

In valley benchmark i get 80-84 °C. In games it runs just 73-78 °C so pretty 'cool' and quiet actually.

My screen is 1920x1200

summary: a good value to bridge the time @1080p. You should look out for HD 7870s though. However i think 80€ for a 580 is almost a steal, if it's still good in shape. It can't loose that much value from there either. So a perfect card to sit and wait, and enjoy some games while doing so.

Edit: i wouldn't wait another month or so, just because maxwell could release soon. A GPU looses around 10€ value per month (at least that's my milage).

But a GTX 580 doesn't! :D Especially not one for 80€..... As i said. If it's still solid, get it!

it was rumors

nothing official

also my info is only based on past releases of new GPUs (not the shrinks)

Wasn't there something about the foundries not being able to do 20nm gpu's yet or some crap til q3?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

To be honest it is odd that nv gave us mega low end maxwell parts and not the full on gpu o.0

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

To be honest it is odd that nv gave us mega low end maxwell parts and not the full on gpu o.0

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Wasn't there something about the foundries not being able to do 20nm gpu's yet or some crap til q3?

yes that was part of the rumor

nothing official

as far as i know TSMC began Volume Production of 20nm chips since January

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/other/display/20140116220015_TSMC_Begins_Volume_Production_of_Chips_Using_20nm_Process_Technology.html

no other official info has been released since then

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

@papeles

I got myself a GTX 580 reference design (Point of view) for the exact same purpose of passing the time until Maxwell releases their high end cards.

I'd say it's a good value. I got mine for 120€ a month ago. It runs Titanfall maxed out, bioshock infinite too. Far Cry 3 runs on High with 4xAA. Haven't really tested more. All were in the 40-60 FPS range with mild dips. Your milage may vary. I haven't yet tested how hard the 1.5GB VRAM bottleneck the card but i don't think it's too bad.

I run stock voltages (1V) because the stock cooler is rather meh for overclocking, and i overclocked it by 7.5% (i think 830 MHz core), then it got unstable.

The stock cooler isn't really noisy but not silent either. The rest of my system is super silent, the GPU is the noisiest part. At idle it's pretty much inaudible, at load it blow pretty hard. :D

In valley benchmark i get 80-84 °C. In games it runs just 73-78 °C so pretty 'cool' and quiet actually.

My screen is 1920x1200

summary: a good value to bridge the time @1080p. You should look out for HD 7870s though. However i think 80€ for a 580 is almost a steal, if it's still good in shape. It can't loose that much value from there either. So a perfect card to sit and wait, and enjoy some games while doing so.

Edit: i wouldn't wait another month or so, just because maxwell could release soon. A GPU looses around 10€ value per month (at least that's my milage).

But a GTX 580 doesn't! :D Especially not one for 80€..... As i said. If it's still solid, get it!

who cares...

@papeles

My screen is 1920x1200

I have a 580.. I can't max titanfall out and have mad lag spikes (look it up loads of other people do too, I don't even think 1.5GB vRAM is enough to max it with med/high settings + no form of AA @ 1080p uses 1.44GB of vRAM. My 580 is noisy as fuck too (reference), 45db to be precise (it could use some new thermal paste and possibly a clean though). a 580 is a good card to wait till maxwell with sure but your making it sound good when it's okay.

I have a 580.. I can't max titanfall out and have mad lag spikes (look it up loads of other people do too, I don't even think 1.5GB vRAM is enough to max it with med/high settings + no form of AA @ 1080p uses 1.44GB of vRAM. My 580 is noisy as fuck too (reference), 45db to be precise (it could use some new thermal paste and possibly a clean though). a 580 is a good card to wait till maxwell with sure but your making it sound good when it's okay.

I tuned down AA if i recall correctly. I don't have that many lag spikes though.  It runs it pretty well tbh. The noise is bad but not terrible. It doesn't even get toasty. It's a question of good case ventilation and a balanced OC. Like i said, i have only OCed without increasing the voltage to keep it kind of quiet. And tbh, in a game like Titanfall there's so much action all the time, that i can't hear it through my headphones anyways.

A GTX 580 won't max out modern games. Titanfall just seems not to need much. So does Bioshock Infinite. Crysis 3 will crap out, just like Far Cry 3 or Metro LL, that's for sure. But High with some AA is definitley enjoyable. And that's what it's all about with this deal. I ahve compared lots of benchmarks (tried to find recent ones) to compare it to a 750 Ti, a GTX 660 (Ti) and some AMD GPUs, and the 580, at that time (1 month ago), came out on top as a price to performance winner.

The sound and heat is stuff that you have to deal with, but i see it positiveley: It's something that you can get excited about when you can finally buy a Maxwell card! :D

who cares...

Doesn't matter if a 580 can't max out stuff in games. In most games there is stuff that isnt visually apealing and people turn it off. I usually don't like shadows in most games and some post proc filters are plain anoying. That alone is enough to play a game at 1080p with respectable visual quality at good fps, wich was kinda the point of the thread.

I tuned down AA if i recall correctly. I don't have that many lag spikes though.  It runs it pretty well tbh. The noise is bad but not terrible. It doesn't even get toasty. It's a question of good case ventilation and a balanced OC. Like i said, i have only OCed without increasing the voltage to keep it kind of quiet. And tbh, in a game like Titanfall there's so much action all the time, that i can't hear it through my headphones anyways.

A GTX 580 won't max out modern games. Titanfall just seems not to need much. So does Bioshock Infinite. Crysis 3 will crap out, just like Far Cry 3 or Metro LL, that's for sure. But High with some AA is definitley enjoyable. And that's what it's all about with this deal. I ahve compared lots of benchmarks (tried to find recent ones) to compare it to a 750 Ti, a GTX 660 (Ti) and some AMD GPUs, and the 580, at that time (1 month ago), came out on top as a price to performance winner.

The sound and heat is stuff that you have to deal with, but i see it positiveley: It's something that you can get excited about when you can finally buy a Maxwell card! :D

I see, that makes sense; that isn't maxing a game out though. I find the noise terrible. I have a Fractal r4 and until recently (I just bought the window panel for it) I either had my side panel off or a 140mm fan on it, I also have a 140mm fan pushing air directly onto the blower fan + I have 2x intake 140mm fans and my gpu is still noisy as feck. True I can't hear it when I game most of the time when I game but I can hear the fan when it's idling (minimum fan speed @ 40%).

Titanfall is quite demanding actually O_o when action picks up which is why I get mad lag spikes, constant 50-60 fps (which causes major ass tearing on my monitor ;x..) then your in lets say a titan fight and your at 30 fps.

The gtx 660 ti is more powerful I think (and sometimes you can get it for the same price) and personally I'd rather a 750 ti (despite it being less powerful) because it's near enough silent and takes like no power. 

It looks like I'm going to have to wait till Pascal ^_^ http://prntscr.com/3bh92d

I see, that makes sense; that isn't maxing a game out though. I find the noise terrible. I have a Fractal r4 and until recently (I just bought the window panel for it) I either had my side panel off or a 140mm fan on it, I also have a 140mm fan pushing air directly onto the blower fan + I have 2x intake 140mm fans and my gpu is still noisy as feck. True I can't hear it when I game most of the time when I game but I can hear the fan when it's idling (minimum fan speed @ 40%).

Titanfall is quite demanding actually O_o when action picks up which is why I get mad lag spikes, constant 50-60 fps (which causes major ass tearing on my monitor ;x..) then your in lets say a titan fight and your at 30 fps.

The gtx 660 ti is more powerful I think (and sometimes you can get it for the same price) and personally I'd rather a 750 ti (despite it being less powerful) because it's near enough silent and takes like no power. 

It looks like I'm going to have to wait till Pascal ^_^ http://prntscr.com/3bh92d

Hm. I agree with you.

I'm not at my PC right now, so i could check the graphics settings for titanfall.

The 660 Ti was selling for 170€ used, back when i got my 580 for 120€. The performance is bareley scratching the 660Ti's balls but is better than a GTX 660 for the most part. OP's 80€ GTX 580 is a great deal.

With the 580, i am hoping that it has next to no value loss. A 750 Ti or a 660 Ti might loose more value until maxwell releases. That's the major point, why i went with an old card.

who cares...

Hm. I agree with you.

I'm not at my PC right now, so i could check the graphics settings for titanfall.

The 660 Ti was selling for 170€ used, back when i got my 580 for 120€. The performance is bareley scratching the 660Ti's balls but is better than a GTX 660 for the most part. OP's 80€ GTX 580 is a great deal.

With the 580, i am hoping that it has next to no value loss. A 750 Ti or a 660 Ti might loose more value until maxwell releases. That's the major point, why i went with an old card.

Okie, it'd be nice to see if your settings in the short term help stop the lag spikes I get.

Ah, well where I live gtx 580's go for £100'ish and 660 ti's go for around £120. Yeah, 80 euros is a good price. 

I have two Palit 3GB GTX 580s in SLi and they run Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite at between 60 and 120 fps on ultra at 1080p. They are louder and hotter than a 780 would be for the same thing, or a 760 would be for just one of them (rough ballpark, the 760 is a bit better), but if I were gaming at 60fps they wouldn't be so bad. They're maxing games three years younger than them so you kind of expect that.

Okie, it'd be nice to see if your settings in the short term help stop the lag spikes I get.

Ah, well where I live gtx 580's go for £100'ish and 660 ti's go for around £120. Yeah, 80 euros is a good price. 

Okay so i checked again today. I also tried to watch the framrate with fraps. It's not exactly 60+ FPS but definitley enjoyable. It's at 60 most of the time and sometimes goes down to 40+ ish. But it's never a bad lag spike where i suddenly loose control in a duel. 

I attached a screenshot of my settings, sorry that it's german, but i think it's self explanatory.

If i had to turn something down further it would b anisotropic fitlering and the shadows. Then I would be pretty confident about keeping 60 FPS most of the time.

Edit: i basically took what GeForce experience said i should use and turned everything up a notch. :D

post-31147-0-28036800-1398099165_thumb.p

who cares...

Fermi is still powerful, and great value for the asking prices nowadays, OC'd they are quite insane with how much performance can be gained.

Kepler is based on Fermi.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

Fermi is still powerful, and great value for the asking prices nowadays, OC'd they are quite insane with how much performance can be gained.

Kepler is based on Fermi.

The stock cooler really hold it back however. :D

who cares...

The stock cooler really hold it back however. :D

You would be nuts to stay stock :P

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

I've got two of the Gigabyte SOC version that I just tried to SLI and they're as hot as the Sun...

...but seriously, hyperbole aside, I could not cool them under air, I'm not sure if it's something wrong the the particular cards or my system but I've had to buy a closed-loop GPU cooler for the top card just to be able to run them in 2-way SLI.

EDIT:

The Gigabyte GTX 580 SOC has a button on the underside of the card marked "Extreme" which if pressed, switches the card from the main Bios to "one that is tailored to work around the GF110’s cold bug when under [liquid nitrogen]"...

...who knew? 

And yes, it seems this button, somewhere along the line had gotten pressed.   :rolleyes:

Other than that, all of my searches etc. show the GTX 580 to be a pretty good card for the price, but as I understand it the Maxwell cards have been delayed/postponed due to trouble with 20nm architecture. Not sure how that'll effect the market but it seems nVidia will probably be running on 28nm architecture for a while.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Okay so i checked again today. I also tried to watch the framrate with fraps. It's not exactly 60+ FPS but definitley enjoyable. It's at 60 most of the time and sometimes goes down to 40+ ish. But it's never a bad lag spike where i suddenly loose control in a duel. 

I attached a screenshot of my settings, sorry that it's german, but i think it's self explanatory.

If i had to turn something down further it would b anisotropic fitlering and the shadows. Then I would be pretty confident about keeping 60 FPS most of the time.

Edit: i basically took what GeForce experience said i should use and turned everything up a notch. :D

My settings are way way way lower than yours and mines is quite bad.. Maybe it's because I've got 90 FoV + titanfall draw distances are quite big it seems. I get lag spikes so bad I can't shoot at someone semi accurately (luckily I'm a spammer though xD), my settings - http://prntscr.com/3c53vg (lowering them now though because I can't be dealing with the lag) . But yeah your settings don't seem nowhere near maxed xD. Even when I lower it http://prntscr.com/3c55yp .

You would be nuts to stay stock :P

It was cheap. :D All the other 580s would've costed 30€ more. :D The maximum OC without touching the voltage needle is 7.5%. i could maybe add another 100 mV but i think it would run towards the 85°C of death.

who cares...

It looks like a good bye but remember driver support won't be good

In the end got a saphire 280x (dual x) for 180€. Has around 2 months of use and ofc, almost full warranty. I decided to do this because it was kinda cheap considering it was "new" and the new chips wont be here so soon anyways.

Thanks all for the answers! Case closed!