Raspberry pi 4 boot from 8tb usb drive

gjkrisa
Go to solution Solved by gjkrisa,
48 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Is rasbian even 64 bit?  If it’s not there’s no way it can even use the addresses necessary to do 8tb. My suspicion is all you need is a smaller drive.

Yes it’s 64 bit 

what I’m doing has been done before I just need some help getting there.

hi I have raspian bullseye installed on 8tb drive but in order for me to use the whole drive and not just 2 tb i need to get it to run on a gpt formate i found a mbr/gpt converter tool that worked but the pi will not boot in gpt what can i do to make this work i have read others have done it using hybrid mbr/gpt and the info goes over my head on how to figure this out i need some hand holding to go any further

There are links at bottomof what i have found.

ontop of that I have 1.587054 mm1: Controller never realeased inhibit bit(s).

this issue doesnt really keep me booting pi from mbr partition. shows even after all updates although i may have to update firmware.

im using seagate backup+ hub

if i need a linux box to solve the issue i have the ability to usb boot linux from a 1tb ssd

i have fedora-coreos-34.20210518.3.0-live.x86_64

kali-linux-2021.2-installer-amd64

kali-linux-1.0.9-amd64

or i can connect to my pfsense box

whatever seems easiest to show me the way

thank you for your time

LINKS:\/

Add support for Hybrid mbr partition

https://github.com/pengutronix/genimage/pull/96

GPT for Rpi images?

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/gpt-for-rpi-images/41392/2

[raspberrypi-bootloader] Boot GPT with hybrid MBR fail

https://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14651

on other note the reason i started this project is because i want a backup drive and grafana server to see everything from the pfsense box and also probable going to do some mining with it.

Is rasbian even 64 bit?  If it’s not there’s no way it can even use the addresses necessary to do 8tb. My suspicion is all you need is a smaller drive.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

48 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yes it’s 64 bit 

12 minutes ago, gjkrisa said:

Yes it’s 64 bit 

Whoops actually I’m running the 32bit version couldn’t get the pi imager to download 64 bit version I may need to run 64bit version of buster first then upgrade as someone else has done. 

also maybe I should be trying Ubuntu server. 

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Is rasbian even 64 bit? If it’s not there’s no way it can even use the addresses necessary to do 8tb. 

That's completely wrong, bitness does not matter at all for storage. Only for RAM addressing. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

That's completely wrong, bitness does not matter at all for storage. Only for RAM addressing. 

Then why did older versions of OSes have problems with large HD sizes?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Then why did older versions of OSes have problems with large HD sizes?

Unrelated reasons, usually not even OS-related, but SATA controller / BIOS / driver / filesystem limitations. 

My mobo has multiple SATA controllers, one of them won't work with >4TB drives even if everything else does. Same as some USB -> SATA adapters won't work with large drives but that's down to the controller in them, not the OS.

32bit Win reads my 32TB USB array just fine.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Unrelated reasons, usually not even OS-related, but SATA controller / BIOS / driver / filesystem limitations. 

My mobo has multiple SATA controllers, one of them won't work with >4TB drives even if everything else does. Same as some USB -> SATA adapters won't work with large drives but that's down to the controller in them, not the OS.

32bit Win reads my 32TB USB array just fine.

I was told it was the addressing.  Might have been indirectly true if aforementioned controllers didn’t work with 32 but systems for whatever reason and I took it straighter than it was meant.

5 hours ago, gjkrisa said:

Looks possible to me, but my skill level doesn’t look very high here.  Happy to be a rubber duck.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Looks possible to me, but my skill level doesn’t look very high here.  Happy to be a rubber duck.

Well thanks for positive vibes but not aware of the meaning of being a rubber duck.

1 hour ago, gjkrisa said:

Well thanks for positive vibes but not aware of the meaning of being a rubber duck.

Rubber duck is where the helper is a rubber duck floating in a bathtub.  Doesn’t say anything but just sitting there empty headed and staring. Sometimes being something to converse with can give the originator an opportunity to organize their thoughts and this provides the insight for the originator to fix the thing themselves. 

got it! 😄 so since raspi is debian i just used the sd boot of it to set everything up.

so after i installed raspian bulleseye 64 to usb drive and updated i used mini tool partition wizard to convert mbr/gpt then i booted to sd card of raspberry pi and installed gparted using add/remove software and selected both editions normal and - common data{i used terminal before and it told me to use xsomething that borked my desktop so note if you find that read a little further or just dont do the xsomething and just type gparted instead}

but using gparted its easier for me to see what drive im looking for by clicking the drop down my usb drive was /dev/sda also i expanded my ext partition to 7.22 applied that took awial took a shower came back it was done so no longer then 20 minutes then created linux swap of 8.89 i tried to just hit 8100 but that gave me 7 somthing gigs of ram that i rememing gpt uses a little more of created partition then mbr.

so in terminal

blkid | grep /dev/sda tells me all partuuid

then edit in drive labled boot /media/pi/boot cmdline.txt

then copy partuuid of ext4 partition and paste in cmdline.txt and save

then open fstab in /media/pi/etc fstab

change both vfat partuuid and ext4 that will be same that you put into cmdline.txt

now this must be a system file or something was not able to edit file had to use terminal to edit but first probaably best to change location to file by cd /media/pi/rootfs/etc

then sudo chmod 777 fstab

then save file it seem to freeze the program for a few seconds but then came back was able to close out and reboot system i had already have both os versions to boot from usb drive so it came up just fine

so to activate the linux swap thought it was best to do at this point by type in terminal

sudo swapon -a

now to activate samba

sudo apt-get install samba samba-common-bin the "|" called pipe will link commands or hold shift \

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-samba/

sorry for odd format editing on laptop grrr.. odd stuff got selected and went to type and lost it all and didnt notice it right away went to change the odd letters to normal and the txt editor isnt showing that anything should be different

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

ok so i had to redue some stuff i wanted a clean install because i had bunch of things that im not using and its an old windows tick that even when i uninstall things i dont feel its clean. also i found a github on how to create a system restore image that im going to try and implement.

so the restore image has kinda been a flop but on trying to get everything back i learned that gparted wont show me the right partuuid kinda knew that but the info it does show is the media name so this time around is was not sda but sdb and gparted showed be that and just changed the grep command to that. also minitools no longer will do gpt conversion for free. so i used diskgenius also i can open and save from ext4 partition using diskgenius. now i noticed if i did the guid/gpt conversion after trying to run the initial pi boot the fstab file did not look right and all the files seem to be read only every command i could find on making it read write was not working even when it looked like it worked so its best to do the conversion before running the initial so the workflow i used.

1 install pi image to a sd or small usb

install your pi image to external lard hdd

2 set up your small pi just as an os to mess with our bigger drive

4 run large hdd on windows box use diskgenius to convert disk to guid save all

5 plug in your larger hdd sudo chmod 777 etc/fstab i had a hard time to just going to it so i would use cd /rootfs then do ls then do cd etc ls find stab was there then sudo chmod 777 fstab

6 install gpart and see what your partition / looks like

7 run blkid | grep /dev/sdb or whatever gpart says your /drive is in copying what should be vfat partition and ext4 partition.

8 edit cmd.txt and fstab this time i found files all in rootfs drive etc/fstab boot/cmdline.txt

then run i ran initial pi setup on my lard hdd  got setup but cant update because partition is too small so i used gparted on my ventoy usb sandisk extreme to enlarge partition there is supposed to be a command to run that on the pi but forgot about it and dont know the command but it tells you when you do the the initial setup before it goes into the os that resize image failed try xxxx.gparted took a few hrs to do 3 gig to 7tb extend partition. but it worked no flaws. diskgeinius had issues trying to extend partition.

the next part of my new project is trying to create a system img that i can revert to for a clean install like windows 7 image creator that you can store on a second partition or ventoy disk

also trying to run graylog in a docker container because only way to possibly run graylog on arm64 that i know of

so easiest way to refresh your pi image is use pinn using the pi imager prog select misc then pinn multi boot os then if you mess up or want to refresh your os you press shift in the os boot load screen and have options to fix refresh or install a different image

my first time around i installed ubuntu64 desktop raspian64 and kali64 i started with raspian and some reason the docker setup messes up my gui so i reparation raspian and then went on to mess with kali 3 gig updates 

also with the three operating systems it gave each around 30gig on a 128gig sd card.

got a decent deal on a faster then hdd samsung evo sd card for $20 

on this sd card things a bit more snappier so now that’s my os drive and i’ll try to work with my 8tb drive as external storage logging drive try to run it to serve large downloads like windows updates and such