PC keeps turning off

Go to solution Solved by StDragon,

If the CPU is overheating, it will shutdown as a fail-safe to protect it from permanent damage. So check your thermals.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Hey everyone

My has started randomly powering off while I'm using it. 

It used to wipe the drive whenever I turned it off, so I tried it see if any of my old drives still worked so I could replace the one already in it. They didn't. 

After I've put it back together it has started shutting itself off randomly, and if take forever to boot afterwards. The windows bottons on the home screen also aren't working.

Anyone know what's what's wrong with it? 

I'm running an x4350 with a RX 570, 16 GB of non ecc ram and a 500 GB HDD, on a H55 board. 

On an unrelated note, how far would I be able to downgrade in terms of graphics card without a bottleneck? I've been thinking off flipping it while the prices are up. 

Thanks!

My first guess is PSU or bad RAM. 

Does it happen during light tasks like browsing the web?

Or does any high end game always trip it?

You can run memtest86 on a usb drive to verify the issue. 
If stress tests crash it I agree with the above get a software to monitor temps and power draw to see if temps go high for CPU or GPU or only when power spikes if it reboots.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:25 PM, StDragon said:

If the CPU is overheating, it will shutdown as a fail-safe to protect it from permanent damage. So check your thermals.

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

22 hours ago, Frizz said:

My first guess is PSU or bad RAM. 

Does it happen during light tasks like browsing the web?

Or does any high end game always trip it?

You can run memtest86 on a usb drive to verify the issue. 
If stress tests crash it I agree with the above get a software to monitor temps and power draw to see if temps go high for CPU or GPU or only when power spikes if it reboots.

Thank you for your replies. I tried keeping the side panel off, and the crashing stopped. I think some of the cables from my PSU got stuck in the CPU cooler. 

It still wipes the drive whenever I turn it on though. It keeps some apps, f.x. Steam is still installed but discord isn't, but seems to wipe all settings, including saves passwords. 

Before I buy a new drive I want to try and reset Windows completely, to see if it fixes the problem. The problem is that I can't open up my settings. 

Do you know how to get around that? 

Thanks again.

I'm not expecting a Windows reinstallation / reset to solve what otherwise is a hardware related issue. The only exception to that is if you've recently upgraded the chipset drivers that might be buggy, but I seriously doubt that to be the case or other people would be having the same issue.

13 hours ago, StDragon said:

I'm not expecting a Windows reinstallation / reset to solve what otherwise is a hardware related issue. The only exception to that is if you've recently upgraded the chipset drivers that might be buggy, but I seriously doubt that to be the case or other people would be having the same issue.

I'll buy a new drive and reinstall. 

Thank you for your help.

On 1/26/2022 at 7:08 PM, Supportsneedlove said:

It used to wipe the drive whenever I turned it off, so I tried it see if any of my old drives still worked so I could replace the one already in it. They didn't. 

After I've put it back together it has started shutting itself off randomly, and if take forever to boot afterwards.

19 hours ago, Supportsneedlove said:

It still wipes the drive whenever I turn it on though. It keeps some apps, f.x. Steam is still installed but discord isn't, but seems to wipe all settings, including saves passwords. 

If the drive is wiped, there is nothing left on it. But that doesn't seems to be the case. Try to use the right terminology, it becomes easier to help when we knows what really happens.

Sounds like the file-system is corrupted as an result of the crashing system. Reformat the drive and reinstall and everything should be OK. A corrupt file-system also explain the longer boot-time.