Neither CPU cores and GPU at 100%

Question mark??
Just now, Chris Pratt said:

Sure. Something like a 3080 can pull 400-450W at full tilt. If you don't have enough wattage, between that and other components like CPU, RAM, storage, RGB, etc., then, yeah, you can easily be perf capped.

Fak, might be. It was at 330W when this occured. You know any way I can measure that problem?

4 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Sure. Something like a 3080 can pull 400-450W at full tilt. If you don't have enough wattage, between that and other components like CPU, RAM, storage, RGB, etc., then, yeah, you can easily be perf capped.

does the PSU in any way tell the GPU that there's no more power to be drawn, though?

in my experience, it's just been hard shut down, not throttling

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

11 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

GPU cant know if PSU is the limiting factor, it simply would shut down if PSU was the problem. PWR is board power limit, not PSU.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

GPU cant know if PSU is the limiting factor, it simply would shut down if PSU was the problem. PWR is board power limit, not PSU.

Woah, ok so the motherboard could be a bottleneck. I have a ASUS ROG B550 F GAMING 

Just now, Question mark?? said:

Woah, ok so the motherboard could be a bottleneck. I have a ASUS ROG B550 F GAMING 

Nope. PWR is Graphics card power limit, motherboard cannot provide more than 75W to graphics card as it is the absolute limit of PCIE power delivery.

Even the cheapest motherboard has to provide 75W through PCIE, even the best motherboard wont provide much more (even if motherboard was capable, GPU BIOS is locked to not draw any more than 75W through PCIE).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Nope. PWR is Graphics card power limit, motherboard cannot provide more than 75W to graphics card as it is the absolute limit of PCIE power delivery.

Even the cheapest motherboard has to provide 75W through PCIE, even the best motherboard wont provide much more (even if motherboard was capable, GPU BIOS is locked to not draw any more than 75W through PCIE).

Okay? Says Board power draw is 350W. So what does it mean by board?

Just now, Question mark?? said:

So what does it mean by board?

Your graphics card.

PWR just means the power limit that has been programmed into the card's BIOS has been reached. In MSI Afterburner you can increase the power limit by a couple %, if you want to go further, you need to shunt mod your card. This has nothing to do with PSU, it's just a limit the GPU manufacturer put in place, because the VRMs aren't specced to handle more power. 320W is the limit on regular 3080, your OC card probably has an increased limit at 350W. If power wasn't limited, the MOSFETs would go bad all the time.

31 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

some game pins the GPU at 98-99%(common), some at 100% (rare), and i've seen some at 95% (rare)

this might just be normal

this add to this (seemingly ignored) answer, board power does not in any way affect "GPU usage" parameter

that has to do with task scheduling, i think, which isnt affected by power limit

for example, i can limit my GPU to 50% power limit, and the GPU usage would still be at 95~100% in games instead of 50%, so i doubt it's anything to do with power at all in this case

5 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

320W is the limit on regular 3080, your OC card probably has an increased limit at 350W. If power wasn't limited, the MOSFETs would go bad all the time.

dont think OP said they're using a 3080, it was an example given by chris.
i don't think what GPU OP is using was mentioned.

edit: it was in the title, im blind lmao

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

this add to this (seemingly ignored) answer, board power does not in any way affect "GPU usage" parameter

that has to do with task scheduling, i think, which isnt affected by power limit

for example, i can limit my GPU to 50% power limit, and the GPU usage would still be at 95~100% in games instead of 50%, so i doubt it's anything to do with power at all in this case

dont think OP said they're using a 3080, it was an example given by chris.
i don't think what GPU OP is using was mentioned.

Thank you so much 

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Power limit has a direct effect on GPU core clock speed. GPU would run higher frame rates when power limit wasnt hit until gpu/cpu

/other bottlenecks were reached.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Power limit has a direct effect on GPU core clock speed. GPU would run higher frame rates when power limit wasnt hit until gpu/cpu

/other bottlenecks were reached.

yes, but it doesnt really affect the "GPU Usage" parameter was my point

your performance will drop definitely, but "GPU Usage" would stay the same, from my experience

@Question mark?? I have merged your threads together. Please stick to a single thread for your troubles/question surrounding the same topic. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

10 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

PWR just means the power limit that has been programmed into the card's BIOS has been reached. In MSI Afterburner you can increase the power limit by a couple %, if you want to go further, you need to shunt mod your card. This has nothing to do with PSU, it's just a limit the GPU manufacturer put in place, because the VRMs aren't specced to handle more power. 320W is the limit on regular 3080, your OC card probably has an increased limit at 350W. If power wasn't limited, the MOSFETs would go bad all the time.

Yes, my GPU TDP is at 350W. My GPU is currently running at 60C as the picture suggests. You think is should temper with the temp a little bit to squeeze some more performance out of it? 

Thank you for the help. 

Literally just go into afterburner and set all power limit sliders to the right, gpus usually dont have much adjustment anyways so itll be fine, if your gpu does have a crap ton of adjustment then ocp will save you

13 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Literally just go into afterburner and set all power limit sliders to the right, gpus usually dont have much adjustment anyways so itll be fine, if your gpu does have a crap ton of adjustment then ocp will save you

Well i highered my power limit by 10%. Same issue still running at 60C at the exact same fan speed. Before the main PrefCap Reason was PWR with it sometimes suggesting VRL to be an issue but now the new MAIN issue is VRL. Seems as an normal issue. 

11 minutes ago, Question mark?? said:

Yes, my GPU TDP is at 350W. My GPU is currently running at 60C as the picture suggests. You think is should temper with the temp a little bit to squeeze some more performance out of it? 

Thank you for the help. 

Do you need more performance? In general, the cooler a device is, the less power it requires, but unless you're going below ambient, the difference will be very small. If you need more performance, you can increase the power limit in Afterburner by a small amount. If you want to go further, you either need a modified BIOS, which is very hard to do, or a shunt mod that tricks the card into thinking it's using less power than it actually is, thus not correctly calculating the limit. 

3 minutes ago, Question mark?? said:

Well i highered my power limit by 10%. Same issue still running at 60C at the exact same fan speed. Before the main PrefCap Reason was PWR with it sometimes suggesting VRL to be an issue but now the new MAIN issue is VRL.

VRL is voltage reliability, so now you reached the point where the MOSFETs can't keep the voltage stable enough because they're not specced for this much power. Basically your engine is burning fuel faster than the fuel pump can pump it. You can try undervolting, that might help taking some stress off the VRMs, but overall that's just the max all the components on your GPU are made for. 

9 minutes ago, Question mark?? said:

Thank you for the help. 

With RDR 2 I never got past 96% at 1080p or 1440p but did at 4k. 

Also the game is CPU bound at 1080p.

Looks like this. As you can see not much difference between 1080p and 1440p. This is with a RTX 2080 ti and an i7 8086k at 5.1ghz all cores.

With my 5900x and 3080 ti I am down to 51% usage at 1080p.  This is with Hardware Unboxed settings. Even GTA 5 is like this so it is a Rockstar thing.

RDR24k1440p1080pHU.thumb.jpg.3eeb7903410a48e79531f27eb769c7c6.jpg 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

8 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Do you need more performance? In general, the cooler a device is, the less power it requires, but unless you're going below ambient, the difference will be very small. If you need more performance, you can increase the power limit in Afterburner by a small amount. If you want to go further, you either need a modified BIOS, which is very hard to do, or a shunt mod that tricks the card into thinking it's using less power than it actually is, thus not correctly calculating the limit. 

VRL is voltage reliability, so now you reached the point where the MOSFETs can't keep the voltage stable enough because they're not specced for this much power. Basically your engine is burning fuel faster than the fuel pump can pump it. You can try undervolting, that might help taking some stress off the VRMs, but overall that's just the max all the components on your GPU are made for. 

Thank you for posting, i did my benchmark at 1080p.

10 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

Okay, thank you for all the help again. Little too scared to try the modified bios out.

1 hour ago, Alvin853 said:

VRL is voltage reliability, so now you reached the point where the MOSFETs can't keep the voltage stable enough because they're not specced for this much power.

Cant you just solder on more caps? Maybe soldering some more caps at the back of the card can help