Neither CPU cores and GPU at 100%

Question mark??

So the problem is that none of my CPU threads are at 100% and my GPU is at 95% at relaitvly low clock speed. I am pretty sure it is not a CPU voltage issue because it occurs when the CPU is at around 50V and i have previosly seen it at 90V. Does anyone have any idea what could be creating this issue. 

Thank you for all the help in advance for taking the time to help a nub like me. 

2 minutes ago, Question mark?? said:

So the problem is that none of my CPU threads are at 100% and my GPU is at 95% at relaitvly low clock speed.

Going to need a lot more information. What are you doing on the PC while this is happening? 

Just now, rickeo said:

Going to need a lot more information. What are you doing on the PC while this is happening? 

Okay, I ran a benchmark on RDR2. 

I previously ran a 3D benchmark on kombustor and the GPU had no issue reaching 100%. So I do not think its an GPU issue either

11 minutes ago, Question mark?? said:

So the problem is that none of my CPU threads are at 100% and my GPU is at 95% at relaitvly low clock speed. I am pretty sure it is not a CPU voltage issue because it occurs when the CPU is at around 50V and i have previosly seen it at 90V. Does anyone have any idea what could be creating this issue. 

Thank you for all the help in advance for taking the time to help a nub like me. 

What are your specs? What do you mean by low clock speed?

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

9 minutes ago, Question mark?? said:

Okay, I ran a benchmark on RDR2. 

I previously ran a 3D benchmark on kombustor and the GPU had no issue reaching 100%. So I do not think its an GPU issue either

We'd need to see the benchmark results, your full system specs and CPU/GPU stats to really tell you what happened during the benchmark but with the information we DO have, all I can say is low to moderate CPU usage with 95-100% GPU usage is what you WANT to see on a game that's properly matched to your CPU/GPU and resolution. 

This means the GPU is being given enough work to run at full speed without an underpowered CPU slowing it down. 

16 hours ago, rickeo said:

We'd need to see the benchmark results, your full system specs and CPU/GPU stats to really tell you what happened during the benchmark but with the information we DO have, all I can say is low to moderate CPU usage with 95-100% GPU usage is what you WANT to see on a game that's properly matched to your CPU/GPU and resolution. 

This means the GPU is being given enough work to run at full speed without an underpowered CPU slowing it down. 

Specs:

RTX 3080 

5600X

Corsair 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Vengeance RGB RT

ASUS B550 F Gaming 

Benchmark picture

2022-01-22 (4).png

1 hour ago, Question mark?? said:

Specs:

RTX 3080 

5600X

ASUS B550 F Gaming 

Benchmark picture

2022-01-22 (4).png

Seems fine to me.

4 hours ago, rickeo said:

Seems fine to me.

Whats the purpose of good cooling and high end components if they just gonna run a game att 50% and 50C? 

Specs:

RTX 3080 

5600X

ASUS B550 F Gaming 

Benchmark picture:

2022-01-22 (4).png

7 minutes ago, Question mark?? said:

Specs:

RTX 3080 

5600X

ASUS B550 F Gaming 

Benchmark picture:

2022-01-22 (4).png

You do not understand how it works. CPU not being at 100% is good. You want CPU to be at lowest % possible. CPU only need to work a specific amount to provide all the juice the GPU needs to perform it's 100%

So here I see your CPU around 50% usage while you have your GPU at 95% usage, which are good stats.

GPU is only limited by 5%  somehow (could be game engine, drivers, or whatever, but 5% is nothing to be worried)

So again, 50% CPU usage is perfect, if it goes higher than 80% usage start to worry about CPU bottleneck, cpu not strong enough for your GPU / system,  which is not the case here, you have plenty of room

GPU at 95% usage means it's 95% used to it's maximum force, which is good too. 

Do not think that CPU must be at 100% usage to deliver all it's "power" it doesn't work like that, you want the cpu to use AS LESS POWER as possible as long as the GPU is maxed at 95%-100% usage.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, Panoramix97 said:

You do not understand how it works. CPU not being at 100% is good. You want CPU to be at lowest % possible. CPU only need to work a specific amount to provide all the juice the GPU needs to perform it's 100%

So here I see your CPU around 50% usage while you have your GPU at 95% usage, which are good stats.

GPU is only limited by 5%  somehow (could be game engine, drivers, or whatever, but 5% is nothing to be worried)

So again, 50% CPU usage is perfect, if it goes higher than 80% usage start to worry about CPU bottleneck, cpu not strong enough for your GPU / system,  which is not the case here, you have plenty of room

GPU at 95% usage means it's 95% used to it's maximum force, which is good too. 

Do not think that CPU must be at 100% usage to deliver all it's "power" it doesn't work like that, you want the cpu to use AS LESS POWER as possible to have the GPU maxed at 95%-100% usage.

Cheers

Thank you for the help. 

I am just confused to why cooling is said to yield better performance when clearly this is not the case.

It just seems wierd why my system is satisfied running at these temps and not pushing a little bit of performance. 

You can expect variance with CPU and GPU usage on a game to game basis based on optimizations and game engine

Whats the purpose of good cooling and high end components if they just gonna run a game att 50% and 50C? 

GPU is at 95% usage, that's exactly what you want to see. The CPU is fast enough to not have to work very hard to keep it fed and allow it to work at nearly 100%. 58c is actually incredible for that much usage. Is it running at max boost? You're missing clockspeed in your RivaTuner overlay, that's the last part of the puzzle. If its not, that's a problem and you're leaving framerate on the table.

Thank you for the help. 

I am just confused to why cooling is said to yield better performance when clearly this is not the case.

It just seems wierd why my system is satisfied running at these temps and not pushing a little bit of performance. 

Cooling gives you better performance on modern hardware to a point. The CPU and GPU will boost more when they are at a lower temperature, but they still have a limit for their boost frequencies. If you reach that limit, it stops boosting, regardless of the temperature, voltage, or power limit. The reason for this is that the processor at stock is not allowed to go past a point where stability could become a problem. So this is where you'll need to overclock in order to overcome the limitation.

3 hours ago, Question mark?? said:

I am pretty sure it is not a CPU voltage issue because it occurs when the CPU is at around 50V and i have previosly seen it at 90V.

Your CPU is at what voltage now? The poor thing would be deader than dead at those voltages 😛

3 hours ago, Question mark?? said:

Low usage means that it's not your system that is limited, but the software cannot fully utilise it. Not everything can take advantage of that many cores. It's perfectly normal to not see all cores at 100%. Think of it like a car. 0% to 100% is like being able to go from 0 km/h to 300 km/h. However, on a bumpy dirt road full of holes you'd be happy to maybe hit 80 km/h, while on a perfectly straight and flat race track you can go all out to 300 km/h. Just like that only a well-optimised, fullly multi-core capable workload will peg all your cores at 100%. GPU at 95% is also nothing to worry about.

You haven't provided much information though. What benchmark are you running? What resolution? What do you call "low clock speed"?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 1/22/2022 at 11:01 PM, Question mark?? said:

Thank you for the help. 

Couple of things. First, I hope you mean core voltage/vcore and .90V and .50V, otherwise your CPU would be dead. Second, what benchmark thats from? Superposition? Thats GPU heavy benchmark. If you want to see CPU performance, you are going to need to run CPU benchmark. You won't be seeing CPU performance change or have much effect on mixed or GPU benchmarks.

Yes, cooling has effect on performance. BUT. You need to compare performance without boost and with boost to notice it. With AMD, better cooling allow PBO to auto-OC CPU more when needed. So when you are doing CPU heavy tasks like rendering video. With gaming or GPU heave benchmarks, you aren't really using CPU to do much -> there's no need to boost performance.

Maybe try running Cinebench CPU test or something else thats heavy on CPU and see if things are different.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

So while running a benchmark of RDR2 my GPU was stuck at 95% while CPU and GPU were at realitvly low temps. Now when further looking into using GPU-Z it said that my GPU main perfcap reason was pwr. I have not set any personal OC on this card and I don't know why this would be an issue. Did they set a bac OC at the factory. 

2022-01-22 (4).png

What wattage is your PSU?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

is it pinned at 95% or it fluctuates a ton?

1 minute ago, Chris Pratt said:

What wattage is your PSU?

can PSU wattage affect GPU power though?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

Pretty much pinned at 95%

its normal for most Nvidia cards at stock… you do understand "something" has to be the limit, right?

As for your missing 5% not sure if serious.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 minutes ago, Question mark?? said:

Pretty much pinned at 95%

some game pins the GPU at 98-99%(common), some at 100% (rare), and i've seen some at 95% (rare)

this might just be normal

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

its normal for most Nvidia cards at stock… you do understand "something" has to be the limit, right?

As for your missing 5% not sure if serious.

So happy to be talking to ya! 🙂

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Sure. Something like a 3080 can pull 400-450W at full tilt. If you don't have enough wattage, between that and other components like CPU, RAM, storage, RGB, etc., then, yeah, you can easily be perf capped.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse