linux drivers

I am thinking of switching to linux but i am worried about things like motherboard drivers audio drivers etc. should i actually be worries or is it fine?

Thanks in advance

Depending on the distro, most of that stuff is built right in. The only thing you'd really have to worry about, is choosing the right GPU drivers.

What GPU do you have?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Only drivers that are painful to install for beginners are Wireless NIC drivers. If you use wireless networking and have anything but Intel, you wont have a nice time with it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Also, you can use a LiveUSB test of the distro of your choice, and see what works and what doesn't, before installing to your system.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The cool thing about Linux is that almost every driver is included in the kernel. The only things driver related you need to worry about are Nvidia drivers and some WiFi drivers since they're the only things where open source drivers don't exist/are complete crap. 

If you're motherboard has some weird edge case features, there might be some issues, but that's very rare.

Don't be worried about drivers, most distros that aren't too basic like arch would have the drivers pre-built, like ubuntu, popOS or other beginner distro's have the drivers built in

22 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Depending on the distro, most of that stuff is built right in. The only thing you'd really have to worry about, is choosing the right GPU drivers.

What GPU do you have?

I am planning on using pop OS i have a wireless keyboard an mouse combo and am using a gtx 460

2 hours ago, StalePie42 said:

I am planning on using pop OS i have a wireless keyboard an mouse combo and am using a gtx 460

As others have said, the wireless keyboard/mouse will be fine, the only trip up is the open source nVidia drivers suck for gaming, and a lot of distros (I can't speak for pop_os) use them as default and you have to manually change them out.

However..if you are happy with the performance out of the box, leave things alone and be happy.

On 1/19/2022 at 12:44 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Also, you can use a LiveUSB test of the distro of your choice, and see what works and what doesn't, before installing to your system.

Exactly this ^^^

If you're not sure that your hardware would be supported, one way of validating this is to boot into a live environment and see if things are working as expected.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT

MB: ASUS ROG Dark Hero VIII 570S

MEMORY: Corsair Vengence RGB Pro 32GB (8GB x 4) @ 3200Mhz

CASE: Corsair 680x

STORAGE: 256GB M.2(PCIE) EVO 970 | 1TB Curcial M.2 (PCIE) SSD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

The only drivers I have had issues with is ralink wifi cards and sound blaster cards. Nvidia drivers are so widely needed that user repositories make it pretty easy now like rpm fusion and AUR. But be aware that older cards like Kepler are on the 470 driver and if you're not careful you will download the latest and have issues.

A gtx 460, being an older GPU should be supported rather nicely by linux

especially by stuff like noveau, so imo, you should have no problems

Also Pop OS has a image with proprietary nvidia drivers

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

Signed up just to reply to this.  A long time linux user,  but I prefer Ubuntu distros.  There is a checkbox to install Additional 3rd Party Drivers.

If you check that,  you will have Nvidia and Amd graphics drivers installed by default.  You will have wireless network drivers installed by default.

I also like Arch distros,  but you usually have to tell them to install graphics drivers.  I typically use Kubuntu as I prefer it's windows like interface.

I started with windows 3.0,  so I'm kind of stuck on having a proper start menu.....