Hot air is coming out from exhaust while doing normal tasks

DeadDabster

Hi,

So my exhaust fan is exhausting hot air while doing normal tasks like watching YouTube or while in zoom etc. sometimes, as soon as I start my pc.

I'm currently using Corsair 110R casing which have a 1 exhaust. Until now it didn't bother me because the pc is working fine. (The problem arise for me on mid of December, if I remembered correctly.)

I thought the solution is to put some intake fans. But before that I look around YouTube for some tutorials to find if there's a problem in some components.

So according to a video I downloaded MSI afterburner (I used Armory Crate from the beginning) and when I check the GPU usage and temperature it was 100% and the temperature was 70 degrees without changing.

So I open Task Manager to see whether its true or not, so as soon as I opened Task manager the GPU usage was 100% as matter of seconds it went from 100% to 1-2% and as soon as the usage went down in Task Manager the Afterburner graph also went down like that and as soon as I close the Task Manager the Afterburner graph went back to the previous position to (100% usage 70 degrees temperature).

The CPU temperature is also 50 or 58 degrees most of the time.

Any thought or recommendations? or should I use another application to check? pls let me know.

My Build 

i5-10400f (with stock cooler) 

Asus Rog strix B460-H gaming motherboard

MSI GTX 1650 xentus XS

Corsair Vengence RGB 16GB Ram (8*2)

Lexar NM610 250GB SSD

WD 1TB HDD

Corsair CV450 PSU

Corsiar 110R casing

The role of your CPU cooler is to move heat away from your CPU. Hot air leaving the PC is a good thing. 70 degrees on the GPU is not an issue.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

In the Nvidia Control Panel you can go to Desktop > Show tray icon. Then clicking on that rainbow icon that appears you can see what is using the GPU. In both cases of YouTube and Zoom the GPU is probably decoding/encoding the video, so seeing usage and heat output is normal. If you're certain nothing is running, then it would not be normal as 70 C is a bit warm for idle, although still not really a problem if it doesn't get too hot under load.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 minutes ago, tikker said:

In the Nvidia Control Panel you can go to Desktop > Show tray icon. Then clicking on that rainbow icon that appears you can see what is using the GPU. In both cases of YouTube and Zoom the GPU is probably decoding/encoding the video, so seeing usage and heat output is normal. If you're certain nothing is running, then it would not be normal as 70 C is a bit warm for idle, although still not really a problem if it doesn't get too hot under load.

Can't find that rainbow Icon

1 minute ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Can't find that rainbow Icon

After you enable it in the Nvidia Control Panel it shows up in the icon group at the right of the task bar. It's gray if nothing is using it. If the GPU is being used it looks like

afbeelding.png.2c260c7de45e196290050945bd15862d.png

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

13 minutes ago, tikker said:

After you enable it in the Nvidia Control Panel it shows up in the icon group at the right of the task bar. It's gray if nothing is using it. If the GPU is being used it looks like

afbeelding.png.2c260c7de45e196290050945bd15862d.png

70 degrees is ok but exhaust heat wasn't noticed before by me and also any idea about the Afterburner GPU usage graph? (the pc is little bit noisy than before)

btw can you give me a comment about my build?

Screenshot (310).png

4 minutes ago, Nalina Artigala said:

70 degrees is ok but exhaust heat wasn't noticed before by me and also any idea about the Afterburner GPU usage graph? (the pc is little bit noisy than before)

Screenshot (310).png

Try closing the following apps one by one: aura wallpaper service, zoom and chrome. Check each time if your usage changes.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

That seems normal to me, you should be more concerned if there is *no* hot air coming from the exhaust tbh as that would mean the pc would likely be overheating anytime soon without proper ventilation. 

Also Id recommend to get some intake fans, a gaming pc isnt a windows 98 machine (which probably really didn't need intake fans or good ventilation...) 

intel with stock cooler doesn't help obviously,  but intake fans would be far more important imo as its not really a high end cpu.

Btw lack of proper cooling is likely also the reason for your rather unusual high gpu temps, i have 9 fans in my case for example:

20220115_165418.thumb.jpg.b0daf6932dd1e4a8aed438cfe9570f62.jpg

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

That seems normal to me, you should be more concerned if there is *no* hot air coming from the exhaust tbh as that would mean the pc would likely be overheating anytime soon without proper ventilation. 

Also Id recommend to get some intake fans, a gaming pc isnt a windows 98 machine (which probably really didn't need intake fans or good ventilation...) 

intel with stock cooler doesn't help obviously,  but intake fans would be far more important imo as its not really a high end cpu.

Yeah, its not the only problem caused me.

Sometimes (monthly most of the time) the screen stuck (I mean everything) and it stays like that until I reboot my PC. (Its not a blue screen and it doesn't show any errors and its also happening while doing normal tasks) and a infinite booting screen occurs yesterday while booting the system. 

and some other things also happened which I doesn't remember.

Quick question:

Is it possible to install a game in 'C' drive without taking space in 'C' drive? (Download it in D drive and install it in 'C' drive without taking space)  

Screenshot (311).png

1 hour ago, Nalina Artigala said:

[...] doing normal tasks like watching YouTube or while in zoom etc. sometimes, as soon as I start my pc. [...] GPU usage and temperature it was 100% and the temperature was 70 degrees without changing.

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

The role of your CPU cooler is to move heat away from your CPU. Hot air leaving the PC is a good thing. 70 degrees on the GPU is not an issue.

45 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

That seems normal to me

I don't know if I would call it normal to have 100% utilization in idle or light workloads. 

What are your Nvidia Power Management settings in the Nvidia Control Center ?

Otherwise have you tried what I posted earlier?

54 minutes ago, Montana16 said:

Try closing the following apps one by one: aura wallpaper service, zoom and chrome. Check each time if your usage changes.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: Samsung Odyssey G7A (28" 4K 144Hz)

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkBook 16p Gen 4 | i7-13700H | 2x8GB 5200Mhz | RTX 4060 | Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon

2 hours ago, Nalina Artigala said:

So according to a video I downloaded MSI afterburner (I used Armory Crate from the beginning) and when I check the GPU usage and temperature it was 100% and the temperature was 70 degrees without changing.

So I open Task Manager to see whether its true or not, so as soon as I opened Task manager the GPU usage was 100% as matter of seconds it went from 100% to 1-2% and as soon as the usage went down in Task Manager the Afterburner graph also went down like that and as soon as I close the Task Manager the Afterburner graph went back to the previous position to (100% usage 70 degrees temperature).

This sounds like possibly a malicious process that uses 100% gpu which attempts to go unnoticed by hiding/stopping itself if taskmanager is opened.

I've been on linux for while now so my knowledge on alternative ways (beyond taskman) of inspecting processes and their resource use is rusty when it comes to windows, hopefully other kind souls can advice on that (and perhaps good malware scanner).

6 minutes ago, Bartholomew said:

This sounds like possibly a malicious process that uses 100% gpu which attempts to go unnoticed by hiding/stopping itself if taskmanager is opened.

I've been on linux for while now so my knowledge on alternative ways (beyond taskman) of inspecting processes and their resource use is rusty when it comes to windows, hopefully other kind souls can advice on that (and perhaps good malware scanner).

that's not completely out of the question,  obviously. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Nalina Artigala said:

Screenshot (310).png

Nothing to me that immediately pops out as wrong there. All those apps can leverage hardware acceleration and thus use the GPU. If you want to get to the bottom of it either close them one by one, or reboot for a fresh start and check them one by one. I'd try closing Zoom and Chrome first. If that reduces load significantly then they were doing something that uses GPU power and you have a better idea where to look.

Does this happen while idle as well? It's perfectly fine for it to ramp up in e.g. a Zoom meeting. The heat of your components has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is out of the case. The noise is the fans ramping up to keep temperatures in check.

7 hours ago, tikker said:

Nothing to me that immediately pops out as wrong there. All those apps can leverage hardware acceleration and thus use the GPU. If you want to get to the bottom of it either close them one by one, or reboot for a fresh start and check them one by one. I'd try closing Zoom and Chrome first. If that reduces load significantly then they were doing something that uses GPU power and you have a better idea where to look.

Does this happen while idle as well? It's perfectly fine for it to ramp up in e.g. a Zoom meeting. The heat of your components has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is out of the case. The noise is the fans ramping up to keep temperatures in check.

agreed but op really needs at least intake fans though... i mean i can have almost the same apps open (except zoom and Microsoft fotos) and my gpu still is only 35-38c, and that's mostly because i have intake fans and a huge cpu cooler that quickly removes excess heat out of the case.

but intake fans alone (plus exhaust obviously) can make a huge diff - i tested pretty much any config, including "reverse flow" and that much was super obvious.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 hours ago, Bartholomew said:

Yeah, I also somewhat sure that something is happening. 

According to my observation the whole problem is with the GPU because when I opened task manager the noisiness all goes back-to normal as it was 2 months before.

Any suggestion on a malware scanner 

8 hours ago, tikker said:

So I reboot the PC and looked Nvidia Popup same applications was shown as before.

Another thing that I noticed is that the GPU is getting noisy as soon as the lock screen is showed, which means the problem is with one of the applications below.

Am I correct?  

Screenshot (315).png

Hi Guys,

So my problem got solved.

I scanned my whole pc with Norton and it found some malware after that I rebooted the system and everything is fine.

MSI Afterburner GPU readings also normal (Temp 40 degrees and usage is around 1-2%) and the system is booting a little quicker.

Thanks.