Fed up with GPU shortage, got PS5

RaphaNadal

Have a Ryzen 7 3700X with a GTX 1650 Super that I built in 2020. Was on a waitlist for an RTX 3080 but I got booted out of that EVGA waitlist because supply situation  didn’t improve, I guess.

These days I don’t play many video games because I’ve been reading books and preparing for a triathlon.

However I was able to get a PS5 today from Target after waiting nearly a month, and now I’m wondering whether it’s worth it for me. I don’t plan on buying a GPU in 2022.

Edit 1: Have a family member in queue to get my PS5, so not thinking of selling it for a profit to someone else.

if you don't use it for anything else, then having a console can be really nice.

It might be better both in terms of value and time, if you want to use console. With the monthly passes they have for various titles (on PC too?).

while the 1650 (or 1660?) doesn't hold up too great for it's price? (not sure what it was worth when buying)  but it seems like that super version does, I guess you might have been lucky to find a super one 😛

11 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

if you don't use it for anything else, then having a console can be really nice.

It might be better both in terms of value and time, if you want to use console. With the monthly passes they have for various titles (on PC too?).

while the 1650 (or 1660?) doesn't hold up too great for it's price? (not sure what it was worth when buying)  but it seems like that super version does, I guess you might have been lucky to find a super one 😛

I have the GTX 1650 Super. TBH It ain’t so super for 1440p, which was my original goal. 

edit: bought it for around $200 in April 2020. Those were the days when one could get a 2070 super simply by walking into a store 🥲

It's not a supply problem, Nvidia is selling a ton of gpus and higher end ones than they normally would. It's a demand problem because mining is profitable. PS5 is awesome, it completely destroys my 1660 Super and has better exclusives IMO.

11 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

It's not a supply problem, Nvidia is selling a ton of gpus and higher end ones than they normally would. It's a demand problem because mining is profitable. PS5 is awesome, it completely destroys my 1660 Super and has better exclusives IMO.

They could have improved supply of 3080 instead of introducing a 3090 Ti. SMDH.

4 hours ago, RaphaNadal said:

I have the GTX 1650 Super. TBH It ain’t so super for 1440p, which was my original goal. 

edit: bought it for around $200 in April 2020. Those were the days when one could get a 2070 super simply by walking into a store 🥲

oh. upgrading now might not help you, although there can be some future gen that will become a lot more fun and powerful for the price. So I guess it's better to hold off on new tech, if one can.

1 hour ago, RaphaNadal said:

They could have improved supply of 3080 instead of introducing a 3090 Ti. SMDH.

Any supply of 3080s they make will get swallowed up by ethereum miners. Supply isn't the problem, it's mining demand.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Any supply of 3080s they make will get swallowed up by ethereum miners. Supply isn't the problem, it's mining demand.

You could be right, but Nvidia isn’t even *trying* to meet demand. 

1 hour ago, Quackers101 said:

oh. upgrading now might not help you, although there can be some future gen that will become a lot more fun and powerful for the price. So I guess it's better to hold off on new tech, if one can.

That is why I got the PS5. Between the crypto mining boom, and Nvidia’s unwillingness to meet the needs of actual gamers, I was tired of waiting for 30-series graphics cards. 

2 hours ago, RaphaNadal said:

That is why I got the PS5. Between the crypto mining boom, and Nvidia’s unwillingness to meet the needs of actual gamers, I was tired of waiting for 30-series graphics cards. 

I got kind of sick of PC gaming even before the current crypto boom with how expensive Turing was after the crypto boom of 2018 showed Nvidia they could significantly raise prices from what they were with Pascal, which were already quite a bit higher than they were with Maxwell. I miss when you could get GTX 970 as a light cut down from the king of the hill gpu for $330 and get double the performance of console. Felt like I was getting hosed paying $230 for my GTX 1660 Super which really should have been a 50 series card in the Turing stack, but my 970 died on me and I needed something and didn't feel like spending $500 on a 2070 Super.

Another strike is how expensive motherboards have gotten. Can't believe I saw a new crap H610 board with only 2 DIMMS and no VRM cooling have a leaked MSRP of $120 and B660 with half ass VRM cooling going for $160 when I got my Z97 board with SLI support for $85 back in 2015. Getting to the point where I may just upgrade my PC mostly for emulation and get an Alder Lake i3 just for the high single core performance. No more doing builds targeting AAA gaming for me until PC starts showing some value again with respect to console.

I love my PS5, got it about a year ago. I have an RTX 3060 and a 10700k in my PC for reference.

I bought it because my GF and I love the PlayStation exclusives, I was planning to wait until they were readily available, but I snagged one at MSRP.

Well, fast forward and I didn't use my PC for gaming at all in December. Not once. I had two weeks off over the holidays, I played Spiderman, she played Demon Souls/Bloodborne a bit, we played COD together. (Still have my PS4 pro for co-op/multiplayer sessions)

If I'm sightseeing in a game, I want to use my PS5 because it's hooked up to an OLED. The games I still want to play are Returnal, Ratchet and Clank, ect. More PS exclusives. 

At this point, for me, PC gaming is basically reserved for emulation, VR, and competitive games. And even competitive games like COD I end up playing on PS5 because my OLED is at 120hz is more responsive than my 240Hz monitor. 

I'll have an itch for CS:GO, Rust, or whatever else at some point. But as of late, my GPU has only been running NiceHash to offset the ridiculous cost. lol

On 1/7/2022 at 12:02 AM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I got kind of sick of PC gaming even before the current crypto boom with how expensive Turing was after the crypto boom of 2018 showed Nvidia they could significantly raise prices from what they were with Pascal, which were already quite a bit higher than they were with Maxwell. I miss when you could get GTX 970 as a light cut down from the king of the hill gpu for $330 and get double the performance of console. Felt like I was getting hosed paying $230 for my GTX 1660 Super which really should have been a 50 series card in the Turing stack, but my 970 died on me and I needed something and didn't feel like spending $500 on a 2070 Super.

Another strike is how expensive motherboards have gotten. Can't believe I saw a new crap H610 board with only 2 DIMMS and no VRM cooling have a leaked MSRP of $120 and B660 with half ass VRM cooling going for $160 when I got my Z97 board with SLI support for $85 back in 2015. Getting to the point where I may just upgrade my PC mostly for emulation and get an Alder Lake i3 just for the high single core performance. No more doing builds targeting AAA gaming for me until PC starts showing some value again with respect to console.

Amen to that. Also, what's your experience with ps5 so far. My 780 begs me to kill it and move on with my life.

3 hours ago, centurion_08 said:

Amen to that. Also, what's your experience with ps5 so far. My 780 begs me to kill it and move on with my life.

I'm enjoying the PS5 a lot. It's a pretty nice jump from my 1660 Super and with all the cheap physical game deals I loaded up on a ton of games around Black Friday. Almost all the games are a smooth 60 fps, though in my library there is one PS5 native straggler: Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy. I'll likely play that at 30 fps in raytracing mode, because the performance mode can't come close to a locked 60 fps according to Digital Foundry. If I had a Series X I'd probably play it in performance mode since Series X supports FreeSync, but PS5 doesn't have VRR and if it does get it it'll probably be stuck behind HDMI 2.1 while every XBox since the XBox One S has supported FreeSync over HDMI 2.0. Other than that though every game I have I can run at 60 fps, some even with raytracing like Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Spiderman Remastered, and Spiderman Miles Morales. Ghost of Tsushima really looks amazing too, and can't wait for Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West, and Dying Light 2 next month. Controller is pretty good too, and the system is quieter than my Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 1660 Super PC.

It was a real bastard to get a hold of a PS5 when I finally got one last March, but if Walmart ever does one of their Walmart+ drops again it'll be worth paying the $13 for a one month membership to get in on it. My dad and brother both got a Series X in the Walmart+ drop right before Black Friday and it was painless, and my dad got his using a one month Walmart+ membership. They just went to the Series X product page a few minutes before they became available to Walmart+ subscribers, got placed in a queue (dad's was 4 minutes, brother's was 7 minutes), and then had the Series X placed automatically in their shopping cart and were given 20 minutes to checkout and complete the reserved order.

4 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'm enjoying the PS5 a lot. It's a pretty nice jump from my 1660 Super and with all the cheap physical game deals I loaded up on a ton of games around Black Friday. Almost all the games are a smooth 60 fps, though in my library there is one PS5 native straggler: Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy. I'll likely play that at 30 fps in raytracing mode, because the performance mode can't come close to a locked 60 fps according to Digital Foundry. If I had a Series X I'd probably play it in performance mode since Series X supports FreeSync, but PS5 doesn't have VRR and if it does get it it'll probably be stuck behind HDMI 2.1 while every XBox since the XBox One S has supported FreeSync over HDMI 2.0. Other than that though every game I have I can run at 60 fps, some even with raytracing like Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Spiderman Remastered, and Spiderman Miles Morales. Ghost of Tsushima really looks amazing too, and can't wait for Elden Ring, Horizon Forbidden West, and Dying Light 2 next month. Controller is pretty good too, and the system is quieter than my Xeon E3-1231v3 + GTX 1660 Super PC.

It was a real bastard to get a hold of a PS5 when I finally got one last March, but if Walmart ever does one of their Walmart+ drops again it'll be worth paying the $13 for a one month membership to get in on it. My dad and brother both got a Series X in the Walmart+ drop right before Black Friday and it was painless, and my dad got his using a one month Walmart+ membership. They just went to the Series X product page a few minutes before they became available to Walmart+ subscribers, got placed in a queue (dad's was 4 minutes, brother's was 7 minutes), and then had the Series X placed automatically in their shopping cart and were given 20 minutes to checkout and complete the reserved order.

This is interesing and funny you say that. You see, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I was actually looking to "upgrade" from 780 to 1660 but i'll be lying to myself it was a good deal. Prices are all over the fucking place and i can't push overtimes any longer. Have other responsibilities. What did you didn't like about that xeon-1660 combo?
Doesn't sound you're a graphics whore, and some would say it's a well equipped machine. It should handle mid 1080p no sweat. Did boiled down to exclusives? Many many former PS exclusive games are getting pc treatment, and optimization comes with it. They should easily playable on your rig. What your pc mustard race, consoles will never ketchup friends will say about that? Elaborate more please, cuz my next step won't be a purchase but an investement.

10 hours ago, centurion_08 said:

This is interesing and funny you say that. You see, one man's trash is another man's treasure. I was actually looking to "upgrade" from 780 to 1660 but i'll be lying to myself it was a good deal. Prices are all over the fucking place and i can't push overtimes any longer. Have other responsibilities. What did you didn't like about that xeon-1660 combo?
Doesn't sound you're a graphics whore, and some would say it's a well equipped machine. It should handle mid 1080p no sweat. Did boiled down to exclusives? Many many former PS exclusive games are getting pc treatment, and optimization comes with it. They should easily playable on your rig. What your pc mustard race, consoles will never ketchup friends will say about that? Elaborate more please, cuz my next step won't be a purchase but an investement.

I didn't like the price, and that was with a 1660 Super at $230 MSRP. It was a noticeable upgrade from my GTX 970 as it should have been with how old the 970 was in 2020 when I got my 1660S, but not enough of one for the price that I would have done the upgrade if my 970 hadn't died. The 970 was such a great gpu for the money, $330 for something that wasn't too cut down from the king of the hill 980 when I got it where I didn't even have to bother with tweaking games to get 60 fps. But 1660 Super felt like buying a 1050 Ti successor for $100 more.

Don't know if you know the Xeon E3 range well, the E3-1231v3 is basically a locked i7-4790 minus 200 MHz, so we're talking a 7-8 year old cpu. Amazing for its time for the price (~$250), but for instance there was no way I was ever playing Cyberpunk at 60 fps with such an old cpu. I finally tried playing Control on it the other day and the cpu just wasn't enough to keep from having microstutter and decided to just buy the game on PS5 instead despite getting a free copy from the Epic Game Store giveaway a week or two ago.

1660 Super is enough to play easier to run last gen games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Sekiro, Devil May Cry 5 at 1440p60 with a bit of settings tweaks, with FreeSync handling the frame drops, and this combo was really good with Red Dead Redemption 2 for 1080p 60 fps with careful settings tweaking, though the 1660 Super did drop into the low 50s somewhat regularly.

Personally I wouldn't touch any PC gpu today for what they sell for. GTX 1050 Ti's that sucked in 2016 for $350 to $400 new, no thanks. Hopefully ether will actually go proof of stake in June like is supposedly planned and that causes a fire sale of miner gpus on the used market.

Even at pre-boom MSRP though I think PC is terrible value compared to what you get out of console this gen. I mean you're getting a 3700x with an RTX 2070 to 2070 Super level gpu (with weaker RT and no DLSS though) for $500 in the PS5 and a 3700x with an RTX 2080 to 2080 Super level gpu (with weaker RT and no DLSS though) for $500 in the XBox Series X. And a first rate controller thrown in too.

But I have been jumping back and forth between PC and console for decades now, don't really have any allegiance to either side. Early 90s I thought SNES killed DOS. Mid to late 90s DOS was so much better than N64 and PS1 IMO with all the great fps games. Early 2000s loved showing people GTA III on PC at 1600x1200 when everyone was used to it at 480i from the PS2. Mid 2000s to early 2010s I gamed mostly on 360 because that was such an awesome system for the money when it came out and a gaming PC I spent a lot on in 2002 felt like a complete dinosaur in 2006. Mid 2010s PC started becoming tremendous value with the GTX 970 and R9 290/290x while the consoles were woefully underpowered. Now early 2020s PC is trash value and the consoles are amazing again.

59 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I didn't like the price, and that was with a 1660 Super at $230 MSRP. It was a noticeable upgrade from my GTX 970 as it should have been with how old the 970 was in 2020 when I got my 1660S, but not enough of one for the price that I would have done the upgrade if my 970 hadn't died. The 970 was such a great gpu for the money, $330 for something that wasn't too cut down from the king of the hill 980 when I got it where I didn't even have to bother with tweaking games to get 60 fps. But 1660 Super felt like buying a 1050 Ti successor for $100 more.

Don't know if you know the Xeon E3 range well, the E3-1231v3 is basically a locked i7-4790 minus 200 MHz, so we're talking a 7-8 year old cpu. Amazing for its time for the price (~$250), but for instance there was no way I was ever playing Cyberpunk at 60 fps with such an old cpu. I finally tried playing Control on it the other day and the cpu just wasn't enough to keep from having microstutter and decided to just buy the game on PS5 instead despite getting a free copy from the Epic Game Store giveaway a week or two ago.

1660 Super is enough to play easier to run last gen games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Sekiro, Devil May Cry 5 at 1440p60 with a bit of settings tweaks, with FreeSync handling the frame drops, and this combo was really good with Red Dead Redemption 2 for 1080p 60 fps with careful settings tweaking, though the 1660 Super did drop into the low 50s somewhat regularly.

Personally I wouldn't touch any PC gpu today for what they sell for. GTX 1050 Ti's that sucked in 2016 for $350 to $400 new, no thanks. Hopefully ether will actually go proof of stake in June like is supposedly planned and that causes a fire sale of miner gpus on the used market.

Even at pre-boom MSRP though I think PC is terrible value compared to what you get out of console this gen. I mean you're getting a 3700x with an RTX 2070 to 2070 Super level gpu (with weaker RT and no DLSS though) for $500 in the PS5 and a 3700x with an RTX 2080 to 2080 Super level gpu (with weaker RT and no DLSS though) for $500 in the XBox Series X. And a first rate controller thrown in too.

But I have been jumping back and forth between PC and console for decades now, don't really have any allegiance to either side. Early 90s I thought SNES killed DOS. Mid to late 90s DOS was so much better than N64 and PS1 IMO with all the great fps games. Early 2000s loved showing people GTA III on PC at 1600x1200 when everyone was used to it at 480i from the PS2. Mid 2000s to early 2010s I gamed mostly on 360 because that was such an awesome system for the money when it came out and a gaming PC I spent a lot on in 2002 felt like a complete dinosaur in 2006. Mid 2010s PC started becoming tremendous value with the GTX 970 and R9 290/290x while the consoles were woefully underpowered. Now early 2020s PC is trash value and the consoles are amazing again.

I read the whole thing twice. I see, that you are a man of culture. Especially the last paragraph hits home cuz i went through the "same" back and forth. I'm feel like 1-2 piece upgrage is just pointless at this time, unless you scoring big bank, which i don't. Even if i was a big spender i coudn't in my life, with clear concious, pay an artificially bumped price. Doesn't matter how i slice it, it doesn't make fucking sense for me. Crazy times for PC hardware and i feel "crypto" isn't goin anywhere. I also doubt manufacturers will ever go back to pre-covid msrp. Fuck. What's your take on the "used" mining gpu's? Worth the hustle? Last ditch effort i would say. Yo, hook me up fam with that PSN of yours.

1 hour ago, centurion_08 said:

I read the whole thing twice. I see, that you are a man of culture. Especially the last paragraph hits home cuz i went through the "same" back and forth. I'm feel like 1-2 piece upgrage is just pointless at this time, unless you scoring big bank, which i don't. Even if i was a big spender i coudn't in my life, with clear concious, pay an artificially bumped price. Doesn't matter how i slice it, it doesn't make fucking sense for me. Crazy times for PC hardware and i feel "crypto" isn't goin anywhere. I also doubt manufacturers will ever go back to pre-covid msrp. Fuck. What's your take on the "used" mining gpu's? Worth the hustle? Last ditch effort i would say. Yo, hook me up fam with that PSN of yours.

I wouldn't buy any used gpu myself because I want a warranty, but miner fire sales will drag new sale prices down too. I pretty much just bought that 1660 Super for last gen multiplats that wouldn't be likely to get a 60 fps PS5 upgrade.

I'd imagine mining will die down when/if ethereum goes proof of stake, but there will always be another coin that builds up momentum later on. Like when BitCoin became unprofitable to mine on gpus, LiteCoin came. When that crashed and became unprofitable to mine on gpus, ethereum came 2-3 years later. There will be another one designed to be mined on gpus that'll gain traction too, just gotta hope for the sake of PC gaming that there is a 1-2 year window in between where you could actually build a system again. Scares me that crypto could end killing PC gaming, as I like to go back and forth between PC and console depending on which offers the more compelling value.

What's really going to be disgusting is when the consoles get hacked and you can mine on the PS5 or Series X. I'm so glad TheFlow isn't releasing his PS5 exploit.

I don't play any online games on PSN, or even PC any more though. Last game I really got into online was probably Unreal Tournament 2003 or 2004 lol.

On 1/9/2022 at 2:48 AM, centurion_08 said:

Looking at how Nvidia’s handled the 3080 12GB launch, refusing to release review drivers to reviewers and not coming out with an MSRP, I’m sitting out the GPU market for the foreseeable future. 
My PS5 is quite nice. I’m really enjoying “Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart”. NieR: Automata and Witcher III are next. 
I have other priorities in life too, I can’t drop $1600 on a new GPU.

49 minutes ago, RaphaNadal said:

Looking at how Nvidia’s handled the 3080 12GB launch, refusing to release review drivers to reviewers and not coming out with an MSRP, I’m sitting out the GPU market for the foreseeable future. 
My PS5 is quite nice. I’m really enjoying “Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart”. NieR: Automata and Witcher III are next. 
I have other priorities in life too, I can’t drop $1600 on a new GPU.

EDIT: Turns out I was wrong. Witcher 3 on PS4 Pro can render at 1920x2160p and then uses checkboarding to upscale to 3840x2160, so you'd get that on PS5. Still would be stuck at 30 fps though.

Witcher 3 is going to be a crap experience on PS5 until CDPR releases the PS5 update for it. Which was supposed to be 2021, but CDPR has been a dumpster fire for two years now. But right now you're only getting the 1080p 30fps version of Witcher 3. I hate that they promised raytracing for it, don't know why you'd shoehorn that into a 7 year-old game. All they had to do was move the framerate target to 60 fps and render in 1800p or 4k with PC textures and you'd be able to have an outstanding experience running it on PS5.

On 1/9/2022 at 9:28 PM, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I don't play any online games on PSN, or even PC any more though. Last game I really got into online was probably Unreal Tournament 2003 or 2004 lol.

No no, i didn't mean playing. I have limited time to play duirng the week, even i do, i just want to push the current games i play. I just meant friend list. Compare profiles etc etc, but i get it.

• 2 weeks later...

opposite  for me, got a 3070 because i was tired and disappointed about lack of innovation of consoles.  it wasnt even hard to get either, during peak of so called "shortage" even, guess i got lucky here, saw prices in america went through the roof at that time, (end of 2020) while prices here were barely higher than expected. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity