Internet Usage in covid waves.

some context for ya-

I have some 2.4 ghz (ASUS) router connected on bridge mode to the main (dual band, Nokia ) router. This isn't to extend the signal, rather because my PC is too old to have on-board wifi. My internet is capped at 200 Mbps, unlimited.

( yeah, I'm not rich, the internet is cheaper in the third world because we value food and shelter over internet)

My PC is across a thick about 5 inch wall from the router, not too far, and I don't want to drill friggin holes though.So the ethernet ports are finally useful. 

Wifi is half duplex, so the network I get is closer to a bit less than 100Mbps, But don't care honestly.

( I would have opted for slower internet options, but for 5 bucks more, I get 50 Mbps along with Netflix basic, Prime and disney plus.That's sweet. )

While torrenting I notice something quite weird, Task manager shows internet speeds in waves at one point it's at 70-84 Mbps, and 10 seconds its 4-5 Mbps ( Mbps, NOT MBps, I checked )

And the torrent's are DEFINITELY not the problem, This happens on every torrent. And al are quite popular with 20-30 seeds.

And oh, IDK if this is the problem, but I run plex media server on this, and for a few of ma homie's I set up remote access. I had to set up port forwarding if it matters.

And just yo make it clear, I am NOT asking why my speeds are much slower.

I wouldn't care if it was 50 Mbps, because I know it would a recognisable/googlable issue. This is straight up weird. This happen way too often,an I have to restart PC to solve it temporarily. This computer is on 20/7, if it matters

overheating wifi equipment?
happened with me, though my symptoms are it just disconnects me from the internet if i try to do sustained load

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Does the speed stay consistent when you are downloading something other than via torrent?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

42 minutes ago, Mutta Bones said:

some context for ya-

While torrenting I notice something quite weird, Task manager shows internet speeds in waves at one point it's at 70-84 Mbps, and 10 seconds its 4-5 Mbps ( Mbps, NOT MBps, I checked )

And the torrent's are DEFINITELY not the problem, This happens on every torrent. And al are quite popular with 20-30 seeds.

And oh, IDK if this is the problem, but I run plex media server on this, and for a few of ma homie's I set up remote access. I had to set up port forwarding if it matters.

And just yo make it clear, I am NOT asking why my speeds are much slower.

I wouldn't care if it was 50 Mbps, because I know it would a recognisable/googlable issue. This is straight up weird. This happen way too often,an I have to restart PC to solve it temporarily. This computer is on 20/7, if it matters

Bittorrent hits the upload HARD. You didnt say what your upload was, but if your saturating your upload it can effect your download. Also because your using WIFI, Im sure the WIFI radio in both routers are getting a work out. If it were me Id recommend seeing how hot they get, if they are very hot to the touch then you may want to rig up to active cooling, such as a laptop cooler. I used this method with one of my old routers. 

Another thing is it could be your ISP. My ISP Comcast was actually caught by the FCC throttling Bittorent traffic among other things. After a slap on the wrist and such they stopped doing it, at least at that time. A lot of ISP's will do traffic shaping and throttling. T Mobile my mobile carrier used to do that on plans with limited data. Netflix wouldn't count against you cap, BUT they would limit the stream to the lowest quality (480p). 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

@Donut417 @Caroline@Moonzy@RAS_3885

what'chu mean by "saturating " your upload? do you mean ' reducing/limiting ' the upload to a small number like 1Kbps? Yes, I tried that and and the issue persists. And obviously, I tried it without limiting too ,at first, I got close to maybe 1-2 MBps (MBps, NOT Mbps ) 

Ok, what you say about overheating is quite sensible actually, I made my own desk with wood, an L shaped one with little to no ventilation,  behind the room heater (PC). Wow, I never thought a router would heat, idk, maybe I'm a noob. But the way things are going, pretty sure this post would be proof for the time when keyboards and mice didn't need AIO coolers.

It could because it gets too hot. Thanks, I'll check it out. \

4 hours ago, Mutta Bones said:

what'chu mean by "saturating " your upload?

Any time you want to access something on the internet you have to send a request. The upload is how to send requests. If your upload is 100% being used then those requests dont happen. Most people have asymmetrical internet. Meaning the upload is generally a lot less of the download so saturating it is easy. 

4 hours ago, Mutta Bones said:

Yes, I tried that and and the issue persists. And obviously, I tried it without limiting too ,at first, I got close to maybe 1-2 MBps (MBps, NOT Mbps ) 

Then its probably what I stated. Your ISP is throttling the traffic. The only way around that is a VPN, even then the VPN will potentially slow your connection as well, just maybe not as bad as the ISP is from its traffic shaping. 

14 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yes, I tried that and and the issue persists. And obviously, I tried it without limiting too ,at first, I got close to maybe 1-2 MBps (MBps, NOT Mbps

when I said I got 1-2 MBps, I meant upload of 1-2 MBps, not download. which makes it even more confusing, as to why would my isp throttle download, but allow uploads? ( uploads are 24/7 constant. )

ISP throttling download traffic too is a valid theory, which I thought so too, until I got a PC connected via ethernet near the router across the wall, and i got speeds close to 20MBPS. 20 MB!!! about the full 200 Mbps, which again comes back to the point that my second bridge router is being thermally throttled.

5 minutes ago, Mutta Bones said:

back to the point that my second bridge router is being thermally throttled.

Then trying cooling the router. Its not hard. If it feels hot then its likely needing active cooling. Like I said in a previous post, Laptop coolers work for this. 

12 minutes ago, Mutta Bones said:

and i got speeds close to 20MBPS. 20 MB!!! about the full 200 Mbps

This is also why you dont use WiFi for this. If you want faster speeds you have to do Ethernet. Or you can try cooling the routers and hope that gives you something better, but I dont have much hope. This is the price for flying the Jolly Rodger (Because Im guessing your pirating, thats what most people use torrents for anyway).