Microsoft cracks down on Xbox Dev Mode homebrew

AnotherLinus
12 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

nah, times have changed, also nothing happened to Sony,  the ps3 got actually more popular after this move, which coincidentally coincidenced with the console being 100% fully cracked.

Hide contents

* i mean, i think they lost a lawsuit (hazy memory)  but in the grand scheme absolutely nothing happened,  and people who wanted to use linux could do so no problems iirc with cfw.

they lost a lawsuit

and because class action, after lawyers fees, every us citizen signed up for the class action got 9$.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

actually the same thing (i guess) happened before... i recall that was years ago that they would close that "loophole" ... which isn't really a loophole but a feature they advertise "everyone can be a dev" or something... 🤔

1 hour ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

they lost a lawsuit

and because class action, after lawyers fees, every us citizen signed up for the class action got 9$.

yup i said as much... 

and also that it didn't hurt sony's bottom line much at all,  they felt they needed to remove that [heavily advertised] feature and did so.

how much it really hurt them i don't know obviously, but they still turned that whole ps3 gen around, which wasn't really a given at the beginning, but i think that lawsuit was the least of their issues. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Can someone explain me why making this decision is in the interest of Microsoft?

Shouldn't the ability of Xbox to run native Windows apps give them a competitive adventage against PlayStation?

\   ^__^ 
          \  (oo)\_______
             (__)\       )\/\

2 hours ago, grg994 said:

Can someone explain me why making this decision is in the interest of Microsoft?

Shouldn't the ability of Xbox to run native Windows apps give them a competitive adventage against PlayStation?

@AnotherLinusdidn't update the news.

7 hours ago, grg994 said:

Not really if it makes people buy the xbox as a cheap crypto-miner, emulation pirate box, kodi pirate box, etc

Though I'd expect that Microsoft will change their mind, since they likely have telemetry showing what people are running on the Xbox dev mode. Like if I were Microsoft, I'd be closing the dev mode every 60 days and clearing the software installed by the dev mode so that people can't just sell Xbox's with pirate software preloaded on it.

On 1/5/2022 at 9:03 PM, Mark Kaine said:

also yes, it helped sony in then end, the console got massively more popular after that, and actually made them money. 

That possibly had to do more with sony releasing actually good games and having a working, well priced console model and ms having shifted its loyalties to kinect, than with having the console pwned.

29 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

That possibly had to do more with sony releasing actually good games and having a working, well priced console model and ms having shifted its loyalties to kinect, than with having the console pwned.

possibly! 

however at some point like half of my friendlist (which was around 300, for some weird reason... original limit was 100... i didn't do anything though) had all hacked ps3s, so i would say it was definitely popular,  plus some games you really couldn't play without the majority of players being obvious hacks/cheats (most didn't even hide it lol)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

22 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Update:

Was an error on MS part. They are fixing it.

On Twitter, Microsoft Jason Ronald said they were aiming to do their non active account clean up, but the routine closed accounts that they didn't intended to do. They are working in reverting the affected account that should not be deactivated.

He says, on Twitter:

While I am glad that they are reversing it...it still feels as though this was more than just an accident but they are blaming it on an "accident" so they get less bad press once it started blowing up in their face.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef