PC upstairs, play games on TV downstairs.

Bearded_Ed

So this is something I have been thinking about for a while and haven't yet come up with a good solution for.

Our living room is almost directly underneath our office room. with the outside wall of the house being almost next to the desk and behind the TV.

If I wanted to play something like Forza on the TV whilst sat on the sofa, how would you go about doing this?

I mentioned the walls because I guess I would be able to get cable(s) either through the walls or outside and back in. Is there a wireless way to do this?

there are free things that you could try like parsec and steam in home streaming(which streams games to your local network), but those require a robust in home network, besides that, optical DisplayPort cables do exist, but you also need peripherals, so the best(and most expensive) way to go about it would be finer optic docks like the ones linus used at his house(I'm sure there are cheaper options out there but I'm just mentioning the ones i know about)

5 minutes ago, ki8aras said:

there are free things that you could try like parsec and steam in home streaming(which streams games to your local network), but those require a robust in home network, besides that, optical DisplayPort cables do exist, but you also need peripherals, so the best(and most expensive) way to go about it would be finer optic docks like the ones linus used at his house(I'm sure there are cheaper options out there but I'm just mentioning the ones i know about)

I wasn't aware of the Steam option you mentioned, my network should be pretty solid. Everything is cabled or has the option to be cabled. So I might try and find a away to do that.

The other option I did also think about was the dock setup Linus has, that's something I will need to look into more. Cheaper is better for me at the moment so maybe that won't be the option! 

Thank you for your suggestions. 

You could use a thunderbolt dock and a long thunderbolt cable but that would cost a ridiculous amount of money for such a simple usage. The easiest solution would be an NVidia Shield TV connected to your PC through an Ethernet cable. Problem solved. It's designed from the ground up for this use case so very little setup to do. Plus it supports most controllers and peripherals via bluetooth or USB. The only "downside" is that it only supports up to 4K 60Hz. I'm not sure if HDR is supported too.

5 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

You could use a thunderbolt dock and a long thunderbolt cable but that would cost a ridiculous amount of money for such a simple usage. The easiest solution would be an NVidia Shield TV connected to your PC through an Ethernet cable. Problem solved. It's designed from the ground up for this use case so very little setup to do. Plus it supports most controllers and peripherals via bluetooth or USB.

I have just looked at the Shield again, I think you're right. This is very likely the solution I need. I just have to spend some money! 

Also if the computer is directly above the TV, you could do with regular al be it longer cables.

3m USB cable and a powered USB hub for your devices and you only need a display cable.

But this only works if the PC is directly above the TV. And you are able to drill holes directly between them.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

11 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Also if the computer is directly above the TV, you could do with regular al be it longer cables.

3m USB cable and a powered USB hub for your devices and you only need a display cable.

But this only works if the PC is directly above the TV. And you are able to drill holes directly between them.

Yeah this would probably be the cheapest way of doing it, if I can run cables in the walls as easily as I hope I can.  I'd run a HDMI cable and a USB cable for a dock like you mention. 

I can't say I'd want to have cables come out the ceiling 😂