New to compute GPU's: Can I run a Tesla P4 on a PCIe x4 or x1 slot?

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster, I joined the F@H group when COVID hit, and recently came across some Tesla P4s and was wondering if my Asus z590 board, with only an extra x4 Connector and 2 x1's. 

Would I need to upgrade to a motherboard with multiple x8 or x16 slots? 

Thanks in advance! 

In general, any pci-e card is supposed to run in a pci-e slot, no matter how many electrical pci-e lanes it has.  So, the card should run in a pci-e x16 slot that has only 4 pci-e lanes, or even a pci-e x1 slot. 

However, some pci-e cards may have firmware (bios) on them which refuses to enable the card if there aren't a minimum of pci-e lanes. I've heard of some SAS 8 port controllers that refused to start without a minimum of 4 pci-e 2.0 lanes (2 GB/s) or some 10 gbps network cards that wanted a minimum of 2 pci-e lanes.

You can get a pci-e x1 to pci-e x16 riser / adapter and have the card plugged in that riser.  You could literally CUT the edge connector to the x4 size and plug the card into a x4 slot - the pci-e edge connector on cards is designed like that, you can physically cut it, the connector has special pins to detect how many pci-e lanes are present in the slot, so if you cut the edge connector, the card and motherboard automatically detects the maximum number of lanes by the number of those special contacts in the edge connector being detected.

Some motherboards have special pci-e x1 or x4 slots that don't have a wall at the end of the slot and they're carefully made to not have components where the card's edge connector would sit in the air, so you could plug a x16 video card in a x1 slot with big part of its edge connector floating in the air - it's the same idea, pci-e connectors are designed like that, the card will simply run at x1 or x4 speeds.

13 minutes ago, mariushm said:

In general, any pci-e card is supposed to run in a pci-e slot, no matter how many electrical pci-e lanes it has.  So, the card should run in a pci-e x16 slot that has only 4 pci-e lanes, or even a pci-e x1 slot. 

However, some pci-e cards may have firmware (bios) on them which refuses to enable the card if there aren't a minimum of pci-e lanes. I've heard of some SAS 8 port controllers that refused to start without a minimum of 4 pci-e 2.0 lanes (2 GB/s) or some 10 gbps network cards that wanted a minimum of 2 pci-e lanes.

You can get a pci-e x1 to pci-e x16 riser / adapter and have the card plugged in that riser.  You could literally CUT the edge connector to the x4 size and plug the card into a x4 slot - the pci-e edge connector on cards is designed like that, you can physically cut it, the connector has special pins to detect how many pci-e lanes are present in the slot, so if you cut the edge connector, the card and motherboard automatically detects the maximum number of lanes by the number of those special contacts in the edge connector being detected.

Some motherboards have special pci-e x1 or x4 slots that don't have a wall at the end of the slot and they're carefully made to not have components where the card's edge connector would sit in the air, so you could plug a x16 video card in a x1 slot with big part of its edge connector floating in the air - it's the same idea, pci-e connectors are designed like that, the card will simply run at x1 or x4 speeds.

Nice! This is exactly what I thought, I'm hoping it works once it arrives! 

On 1/4/2022 at 1:54 AM, vile1 said:

Hi guys, long time lurker first time poster, I joined the F@H group when COVID hit, and recently came across some Tesla P4s and was wondering if my Asus z590 board, with only an extra x4 Connector and 2 x1's. 

Would I need to upgrade to a motherboard with multiple x8 or x16 slots? 

Thanks in advance! 

Welcome to the Fold!

Yes, you absolutely can run those T4s on x1 or x4.

A PCIe3x1 connection might limit the bandwidth on the T4s and you'd likely see a drop in performance of 10-50% under Windows (less under Linux). Of more concern is that these cards are entirely Bus powered so the whole 75W TDP would have to go through the riser's power cable so you'll want to ensure the riser has a good power connector. I'd recommend using Molex rather than SATA. (Google Mining Fires)

If you have a spare m.2 slot a m.2 to PCIex16 adapter would work better and give you x4 rather than x1.

If you want to dedicate these to folding 24x7x365 and do not want to fold on the CPUs (not really worth it) then a dedicated rig could be built at minimal cost using a used z370/470 "SLI" motherboard with x8/x8 and a Pentium Gold G4000/5000-series CPU with 4-8GB DDR4-2133 or better. I used a couple such rigs for years with no issues but upgraded as I run BOINC on the CPUs. (If your in Canada PM me)

For comparison here's the current GPU utilization under Linux (Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS) for a 2070S and 2060S:

dcn02s00_PCIutil.png

dcn02s01_PCIutil.png

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m