I need some directions on what monitor to look at for work (front-end web developer) and light gaming/media consumption.

I've spent the good majority of my weekend researching different monitors ranging from 4k IPS panels to 1440p VA high refresh rate panels. My goal is to find one good monitor that can be used for light gaming and media consumption on my off hours (I work from home) and at the same time be great for productivity work ranging from occasional Photoshop/Illustrator work to web design (programming) and word doc creation. I will be running one of my old 24" 1080p 60hz acer monitors vertically beside it where I will have my IDE running for programming. I've visited my local Best Buy but their selection was pretty limited so I haven't been able to see many different sizes and panel options in person. Side note, my MSI 3060 Ti VENTUS 3X OC will be driving whatever monitor I get.

My questions:

1. How wide is too wide for a flat monitor (I've found a few good deals on 32-34" IPS monitors but they are flat, not curved)?
  2. I know IPS is supposed to have better color accuracy, but if the VA panel is HDR10 or HDR400 and at least 1440p, is a VA panel just as good of an option?
  3. What are you running for a main monitor that is a good "all around" monitor (or what's your personal preference)?

One panel I have been eyeballing has been the GIGABYTE M34WQ 34" IPS LED 144Hz WQHD KVM Gaming Monitor for around $500. As for the VA panel that I have been looking at, the Dell 34 Curved Gaming Monitor – S3422DWG has been tempting me. It is identical in price with the Gigabyte monitor, but it is at least HDR 400.

I know monitors are one of those personal preference things, but I'm struggling making my mind up. I don't want to drop $500 on something that I don't have experience or proper knowledge about. That's why I'm coming here for some help. If you have any advice or if you'd like to point me in a specific direction, it would be more than appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Pic of what I'm trying to go for:
Best Desk Setup For Programming - Programmer desk Setup | Best Desk Setup

Don't have any specific monitor recommendations for you, but I think this article is a really good overview of the differences between IPS and VA when it comes to things like viewing angles, contrast, etc.

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

The Gigabyte M34WQ you already mentioned would have been my recommendation. HDR is a gimmick on both as they are realistically not HDR monitor aside from accepting the input signal, as is every other monitor under $1700. Otherwise it's a great 34" ultrawide IPS monitor that is well reviewed.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Size/resolution-wise - think about the way you organize your windows/apps and how far you are from the monitor. Also if using Win10 - you might have trouble with scaling, so plan on using native resolution.

I am almost 1m away from 27" 4k (16:9 IPS) that is scaled to 1440p and I usually have one or two windows fullscreen (IDE, browser) side by side.

When I set much closer, native 4k made more sense, but funny enough it provided more real estate that I didn't utilize (also it wasn't as comfortable).

On 1/3/2022 at 6:20 AM, Stahlmann said:

The Gigabyte M34WQ you already mentioned would have been my recommendation. HDR is a gimmick on both as they are realistically not HDR monitor aside from accepting the input signal, as is every other monitor under $1700. Otherwise it's a great 34" ultrawide IPS monitor that is well reviewed.

Ive never owned anything over 24"; that being said, is a 34" too much for a flat panel? Im going to be sitting anywhere from 2-3' away from it (in your opinion).  

4 hours ago, UncaughtError said:

Ive never owned anything over 24"; that being said, is a 34" too much for a flat panel? Im going to be sitting anywhere from 2-3' away from it (in your opinion).  

Even though most 34" ultrawides are curved most of them only have slight curves so a flat panel doesn't really introduce any problems. It's the reason you can get these specs at this price. So in my opinion it's still good, even if it's flat.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

The VA vs IPS panel question depends if you are sensitive to ghosting and black smearing. Personally I couldn't stand my VA panel because of the black smear and I sold it pretty fast to replace it with an IP panel. 

I have been looking at an ultrawide monitor as well but I haven't bought one yet. I am going to wait until curved 34" monitors are better priced. I believe flat panels are a good option for work, but for gaming I feel that it might be a hassle keeping track of hud elemants and stuff. For now I settled on two 27" moniors, one with a 144hz panel with G-Sync and stuff and one with a 60hz panel that I use in portrait mode so i can have three applications opened vertically aligned.

If you do go for a flat 34", I'll be interested to know what your experiences are since I am still playing with that thought as well.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B