Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 4K 240Hz monitor

Doobeedoo

gsmarena_001.jpg

So I was just browsing something for phones and saw this. First new high-end 2022 monitor appeared.

Samsung revealed this today, though officially to be announced around CES time with more information.

Odyssey Neo G8:

4K 240Hz 32"

1000R curvature

Quantum MiniLED backlight

It's supposedly using much smaller MiniLEDs, using their proprietary 'Quantum Matrix' image quality tech said to be able to push 2000 nits in 4096 steps.

Connectors: 

HDMI 2.1 x 2

DP 1.4 x 1

There are also two other models: M8 and S8 one being a so called smart monitor with cam and media oriented, other for graphic work.

Slated to be launched 22H1

Great start so far for this year monitors. As someone who really appreciates high PPI and fast refresh rate this is amazing.

So firstly, definitely not a fan of Samsung monitors all being curved, even 16:9 it just makes zero sense. Also, I'd expect this to be VA panel too. Yes flat IPS would be better to see, I'd expect this from other manufacturers eventually. 

New type of MiniLEDs mentioned, I wonder are they same/similar we've seen Apple use for their tablet, also how many of them they'll pack, really it should be well in thousands, FALD and haloing is just horrible though. This monitor is still LCD in the end and yet even so I can't imagine how much this thing will cost. They better have a good QC for this.

It's not per-pixel lit but I'm curious to see it's HDR performance, will they announce it's maybe also a new DisplayHDR 2000 spec we'll see.

Also I've noticed they're using existing connectors, they're pushing this to the limit with DSC I wonder will this pose some timing issues we've seen before. While I guess early and no new cards yet maybe could've launched with DP 2.0 though? Maybe not, we don't know at what stage certification is and if it would've been ready for this one.

We've heard rumors about QD-OLED monitors though I really wonder have they managed to actually have no worries about burn-in for those, doubt they'd bring that for them selves and returns. Then again it will be amazing to see no. Also in normal size, 40"+ is just too huge and you'd want 8K at that size.

Looking forward to see others show their monitors 🙂

Soruces:
Samsung announces the Odyssey Neo G8, the world's first 4K 240Hz monitor - GSMArena.com news

https://videocardz.com/press-release/samsung-announces-odyssey-neo-g8-worlds-first-4k-240hz-miniled-gaming-monitor

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 with 4K @ 240Hz and Quantum Mini LED Backlight - TFTCentral

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 Mini LED Curved Gaming Monitor Is A Screaming Fast 4K 240Hz Beauty | HotHardware

Samsung Electronics Showcases Monitor Leadership at CES With Versatile 2022 Lineup – Samsung Global Newsroom

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 is the world's first 4K 240Hz Mini LED LED monitor | OC3D News (overclock3d.net)

Samsung's new Odyssey Neo G8 32-inch curved monitor features 4K@240Hz, 2,000 nits of peak brightness | TechSpot

Samsung shows world's first 4k 240HZ gaming monitor before CES | PC Gamer

Samsung Electronics Showcases Monitor Leadership at CES With Versatile 2022 Lineup | TechPowerUp

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

-= Moved to Tech News =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Sweet. I was wanting a 4k 120hz monitor but it was taking too long for any to be released so I went for 4k 60hz. Hopefully we can start getting more 4k monitors with both high refresh rate and good colors so I can upgrade again.

We are really getting near the end game of monitors. The only thing better than this would be a monitor had with microLEDs. Once we have microLED 4k 120hz or 240hz displays, there really isn't much more for a monitor under 30 inches to achieve. Higher resolution or refresh rate wouldn't hardly be noticeable.

This seem like the old g7

makes sense to make this since the g7 changed

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

gsmarena_001.jpg

So I was just browsing something for phones and saw this. First new high-end 2022 monitor appeared.

Samsung revealed this today, though officially to be announced around CES time with more information.

Odyssey Neo G8:

4K 240Hz 32"

1000R curvature

Quantum MiniLED backlight

It's supposedly using much smaller MiniLEDs, using their proprietary 'Quantum Matrix' image quality tech said to be able to push 2000 nits in 4096 steps.

Connectors: 

HDMI 2.1 x 2

DP 1.4 x 1

There are also two other models: M8 and S8 one being a so called smart monitor with cam and media oriented, other for graphic work.

Slated to be launched 22H1

Great start so far for this year monitors. As someone who really appreciates high PPI and fast refresh rate this is amazing.

So firstly, definitely not a fan of Samsung monitors all being curved, even 16:9 it just makes zero sense. Also, I'd expect this to be VA panel too. Yes flat IPS would be better to see, I'd expect this from other manufacturers eventually. 

New type of MiniLEDs mentioned, I wonder are they same/similar we've seen Apple use for their tablet, also how many of them they'll pack, really it should be well in thousands, FALD and haloing is just horrible though. This monitor is still LCD in the end and yet even so I can't imagine how much this thing will cost. They better have a good QC for this.

It's not per-pixel lit but I'm curious to see it's HDR performance, will they announce it's maybe also a new DisplayHDR 2000 spec we'll see.

Also I've noticed they're using existing connectors, they're pushing this to the limit with DSC I wonder will this pose some timing issues we've seen before. While I guess early and no new cards yet maybe could've launched with DP 2.0 though? Maybe not, we don't know at what stage certification is and if it would've been ready for this one.

We've heard rumors about QD-OLED monitors though I really wonder have they managed to actually have no worries about burn-in for those, doubt they'd bring that for them selves and returns. Then again it will be amazing to see no. Also in normal size, 40"+ is just too huge and you'd want 8K at that size.

Looking forward to see others show their monitors 🙂

Soruces:
Samsung announces the Odyssey Neo G8, the world's first 4K 240Hz monitor - GSMArena.com news

https://videocardz.com/press-release/samsung-announces-odyssey-neo-g8-worlds-first-4k-240hz-miniled-gaming-monitor

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 with 4K @ 240Hz and Quantum Mini LED Backlight - TFTCentral

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 Mini LED Curved Gaming Monitor Is A Screaming Fast 4K 240Hz Beauty | HotHardware

thats what i was waiting for but they had the G7 32" 2k 

now lets wait for this

If 4K 240Hz is possible over a single cable, would 6K (6016x3384) 120Hz be possible as well without weird compromises on colors? Asking for a friend 🍎.

1 hour ago, saltycaramel said:

If 4K 240Hz is possible over a single cable, would 6K (6016x3384) 120Hz be possible as well without weird compromises on colors? Asking for a friend 🍎.

Yes, using DP 1.4 with DSC 3x will have enough bandwidth for up to 146Hz at this resolution and 8bit color.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

If this monitor actually supports 4K 240Hz 10bit HDR then this display is as close to the max DP 1.4 DSC spec as possible. That's probably gonna introduce more issues Samsung cannot figure out before launching. Seems like an interesting monitor but the curve hurts a lot. Let's see where this leads.

I strongly recommend to wait for reviews before buying. Knowing Samsung it's going to have a bunch of issues when first launching. Which of this can be resolved in firmware updates and which cannot be fixed period remains to be seen.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

37 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Yes, using DP 1.4 with DSC 3x will have enough bandwidth for up to 146Hz at this resolution and 8bit color.

8bpc tho..

The “holy grail” would be

- 6K resolution

- 120Hz

- 10bpc

- 4:4:4

- usb-c hub with usb 3.0 speeds (i.e. not just leveraging legacy usb 2.0 pins)

I gather this is not possible over a single Thunderbolt 4 cable with current tech and not even announced tech?

41 minutes ago, saltycaramel said:

8bpc tho..

The “holy grail” would be

- 6K resolution

- 120Hz

- 10bpc

- 4:4:4

- usb-c hub with usb 3.0 speeds (i.e. not just leveraging legacy usb 2.0 pins)

I gather this is not possible over a single Thunderbolt 4 cable with current tech and not even announced tech?

Why these specs specifically tho? 4K is plenty for 32" and like i said can drive up to 240Hz even with 10bpc and HDR using current connectivity (DP 1.4 using DSC 3x). That sounds pretty "holy grail" to me. Never really used any monitor USB hub so idk how useful this would really be.

Same resolution @120Hz 10bpc is slightly over the DP1.4 spec, even including DSC 3x. But it's an oddly specific resolution. And from reading your first post it seems we're talking about an apple display of some sort. Apple doesn't really use standard resolutions. They basically scale resolution according to their "required PPI", not some standard resolution that is widely used.

19 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

Also, I'd expect this to be VA panel too. Yes flat IPS would be better to see, I'd expect this from other manufacturers eventually. 

I'm actually glad it uses a VA panel. Other miniLED IPS monitors have already shown to be much more susceptible to blooming. VA is better for HDR, simple as that. And if it uses the same VA tech as the G7 and G9 the response times will be better than even the best IPS monitors. I don't see the problem with it having one of these VA panels.

New type of MiniLEDs mentioned, I wonder are they same/similar we've seen Apple use for their tablet, also how many of them they'll pack, really it should be well in thousands, FALD and haloing is just horrible though.

This not only depends on the number of LED's and dimming zones, but also on the software algorythm that has to decide how to dim the zones. We're still nowhere near apples zone counts and the algorythm remains to be seen. But apples displays have a whole other heap of problems that make them bad for gaming even if their HDR is incredible. One of them being horrible response times.

This monitor is still LCD in the end and yet even so I can't imagine how much this thing will cost.

As they're marketing it as a G8 it's theoretically under the G9 so expect it to be cheaper than that. As long as they're under $3500 though they will be cheaper than current competition from Asus etc.

It's not per-pixel lit but I'm curious to see it's HDR performance,

I can tell from my current Asus PG35VQ that FALD can also deliver good HDR performance. Per-pixel dimming is the best case scenario but unrealistic with anything but self-lit technologies like OLED and MicroLED.

will they announce it's maybe also a new DisplayHDR 2000 spec we'll see.

It'll be like with the Neo G9. It's just a marketing "spec" from Samsung without any 3rd party validation. And the Neo G9 is also only a 1000 nit display in reality. So i wouldn't expect anything significantly different. Even though, 1000 nits is still plenty for a breathtaking HDR experience.

This monitor is almost certainly DP 1.4 using DSC. There are not DP 2.0 GPUs currently on the market, nor are they anywhere close. So i don't expect monitors to introduce it now.

The first QD-OLED they announced is actually a 34" ultrawide afaik.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

I'm actually glad it uses a VA panel. Other miniLED IPS monitors have already shown to be much more susceptible to blooming. VA is better for HDR, simple as that. And if it uses the same VA tech as the G7 and G9 the response times will be better than even the best IPS monitors. I don't see the problem with it having one of these VA panels.

This not only depends on the number of LED's and dimming zones, but also on the software algorythm that has to decide how to dim the zones. We're still nowhere near apples zone counts and the algorythm remains to be seen. But apples displays have a whole other heap of problems that make them bad for gaming even if their HDR is incredible. One of them being horrible response times.

As they're marketing it as a G8 it's theoretically under the G9 so expect it to be cheaper than that. As long as they're under $3500 though they will be cheaper than current competition from Asus etc.

I can tell from my current Asus PG35VQ that FALD can also deliver good HDR performance. Per-pixel dimming is the best case scenario but unrealistic with anything but self-lit technologies like OLED and MicroLED.

It'll be like with the Neo G9. It's just a marketing "spec" from Samsung without any 3rd party validation. And the Neo G9 is also only a 1000 nit display in reality. So i wouldn't expect anything significantly different. Even though, 1000 nits is still plenty for a breathtaking HDR experience.

This monitor is almost certainly DP 1.4 using DSC. There are not DP 2.0 GPUs currently on the market, nor are they anywhere close. So i don't expect monitors to introduce it now.

The first QD-OLED they announced is actually a 34" ultrawide afaik.

I'm sure their top of the line VA will be good, I just prefer colors more on IPS though. While VA may be better in HDR in some sense, we're still talking about LCD so kinda whatever. Also response time wise, there are still top TN panels that are faster in that category though. Then again all LCD in the end. Meaning nowhere near best for HDR or speed.

Yeah like 10K LEDs on this monitor and good tuning would be awesome to see. We'll see how it ends up, haloing would be so annoying though.

Currently I see their Neo G9 for $2500 and I'd expect and hope this one to be cheaper though. I try not to necessarily compare to current top expensive monitors, because there are some that are obscenely expensive for no reason and are not even good. Also things needs to get cheaper over time too.

Yeah I know no DP 2.0 GPUs out yet, I thought maybe if spec is potentially finished they could implement it early on so it's 'ready' for once those are out to unlock potential. But probably wouldn't make sense for them maybe even business wise.

The rumored QD-OLED we've yet to see those, then again I probably won't care about curved and ultra-wide formats. Thousands of $ and risk of burn-in over months. I'll wait.

I'm excited to see what others reveal too. Maybe some 8K for amazing pixel density, also 4K 240Hz with scaler for 1080p 1000Hz would be amazing. We've seen Asus demo unit finally utilizing this like CRT days. There's that 480Hz demo monitor that's LCD but yeah, not sure about LCD for 1000Hz it would smear. The LCD needs to be phased out.

I'll be waiting for DP 2.0 monitors anyway though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

19 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I'm sure their top of the line VA will be good, I just prefer colors more on IPS though. While VA may be better in HDR in some sense, we're still talking about LCD so kinda whatever. Also response time wise, there are still top TN panels that are faster in that category though. Then again all LCD in the end. Meaning nowhere near best for HDR or speed.

The G7 and G9 are faster than any IPS monitor i've seen, even being competitive to top of the line TN competitive monitors. Of course none of them are anywhere near OLED.

Yeah like 10K LEDs on this monitor and good tuning would be awesome to see. We'll see how it ends up, haloing would be so annoying though.

I'd guess it'll be around 1150 dimming zones or something like that. At least that's what other 16:9 miniLED monitors have atm. Still, that would certainly suffice for good HDR.

Currently I see their Neo G9 for $2500 and I'd expect and hope this one to be cheaper though. I try not to necessarily compare to current top expensive monitors, because there are some that are obscenely expensive for no reason and are not even good. Also things needs to get cheaper over time too.

Sadly other high-end HDR monitors didn't really get cheaper because of lacking competition. Maybe this one will help with that.

Yeah I know no DP 2.0 GPUs out yet, I thought maybe if spec is potentially finished they could implement it early on so it's 'ready' for once those are out to unlock potential. But probably wouldn't make sense for them maybe even business wise.

It doesn't make sense at all. Like i said DP 1.4 can sustain the full bandwidth requirement if they're using DSC. So there is no reason to include DP 2.0 here.

The rumored QD-OLED we've yet to see those, then again I probably won't care about curved and ultra-wide formats. Thousands of $ and risk of burn-in over months. I'll wait.

If the rumors are at least somewhat true, then QD-OLED is a lot let susceptible to burn in. To the point where the issue is basically fixed. QD-OLED is fundamentally different from current LG OLED panels.

I'm excited to see what others reveal too. Maybe some 8K for amazing pixel density, also 4K 240Hz with scaler for 1080p 1000Hz would be amazing. We've seen Asus demo unit finally utilizing this like CRT days. There's that 480Hz demo monitor that's LCD but yeah, not sure about LCD for 1000Hz it would smear. The LCD needs to be phased out.

LCD won't go anywhere anytime soon. Other technologies like QD-OLED will be so expensive that they will be niche products. No doubt about that. 1000Hz is unrealistic for such a monitor as you'd need REAL 1ms response times to make sure the pixels are fast enough. Even the best LCDs cannot do that right now. Currently OLED is the only tech actually fast enough for that. But then again refresh rate has a diminishing return after 144Hz, and a huge one above 240Hz, so even for the sweatiest competitive gamers i don't see a usecase.

I'll be waiting for DP 2.0 monitors anyway though.

DP 1.4 has plenty of headroom for now, i wouldn't suspect DP 2.0 to come anytime soon. Just a few examples of what DP 1.4 can do using DSC:

1080p = 887Hz 8 bpc / 773Hz 10bpc

1440p = 612Hz 8 bpc / 519Hz 10bpc

4K = 325Hz 8 bpc / 268Hz 10bpc

And even beyond that there is still HDMI 2.1 that has even greater capabilities. Unless new monitors need even more bandwidth there is no reason for anyone to implement DP 2.0.

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

The G7 and G9 are faster than any IPS monitor i've seen, even being competitive to top of the line TN competitive monitors. Of course none of them are anywhere near OLED.

I'd guess it'll be around 1150 dimming zones or something like that. At least that's what other 16:9 miniLED monitors have atm. Still, that would certainly suffice for good HDR.

Sadly other high-end HDR monitors didn't really get cheaper because of lacking competition. Maybe this one will help with that.

It doesn't make sense at all. Like i said DP 1.4 can sustain the full bandwidth requirement if they're using DSC. So there is no reason to include DP 2.0 here.

If the rumors are at least somewhat true, then QD-OLED is a lot let susceptible to burn in. To the point where it issue is basically fixed. QD-OLED is fundamentally different from current LG OLED panels.

LCD won't go anywhere anytime soon. Other technologies like QD-OLED will be so expensive that they will be niche products. No doubt about that. 1000Hz is unrealistic for such a monitor as you'd need REAL 1ms response times to make sure the pixels are fast enough. Even the best LCDs cannot do that right now. Currently OLED is the only tech actually fast enough for that. But then again refresh rate has a diminishing return after 144Hz, and a huge one above 240Hz, so even for the sweatiest competitive gamers i don't see a usecase.

DP 1.4 has plenty of headroom for now, i wouldn't suspect DP 2.0 to come anytime soon. Just a few examples of what DP 1.4 can do using DSC:

1080p = 887Hz 8 bpc / 773Hz 10bpc

1440p = 612Hz 8 bpc / 519Hz 10bpc

4K = 325Hz 8 bpc / 268Hz 10bpc

And even beyond that there is still HDMI 2.1 that has even greater capabilities. Unless new monitors need even more bandwidth there is no reason for anyone to implement DP 2.0.

It will definitely be sufficient for HDR and fast enough and with DSC yeah, though 'enough' for very high price I'll pass for now haha.

Oh I'd expect QD-OLED to be better yes, it works differently and is build so. Then again, people use monitors for like a decade and don't expect them to crap out, also people use monitors all day with a lot of static content for hours, be it programs and then games. We'll see long-term reviews.

Yeah, I know LCD will stay here for decade+ unfortunately...

I know you'd want a proper panel for 1000Hz, then again even for any current monitor LCD is not really doing 100% frame compliance anyway.

Also I wouldn't say higher refresh rate has no use case, while minimum and most will be fine with 120/144Hz for sure, for me 240Hz minimum. It's noticeable, I do play a lot of shooters. We're seeing faster refresh rates, while partially everything needs marketing, we're still not at CRT level of motion smoothness that we lost with LCD switch. I want that back. Give me 1000Hz OLED hah.

I'd like to avoid DSC really, it's a mess, it's optional not mandatory, it has issues. Also why not do it the 'proper' way when we're talking about top visual quality in upcoming monitors though. HDMI 2.1 is kinda a mess as we've seen with standards, also it's primarily TV focused while DP for monitors and DP 2.0 will be much better too anyway.

Hopefully this doesnt have the same issues as the G7 has.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

9 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I'd like to avoid DSC really, it's a mess, it's optional not mandatory, it has issues. Also why not do it the 'proper' way when we're talking about top visual quality in upcoming monitors though.

DSC is a visually lossless compression that to my knowledge doesn't bring any drawback whatsoever other than needing an encoder (most modern GPUs) and decoder (module inside the monitor). I haven't run into problems myself and i used DSC displays in the past. Also i haven't seen any other display issue that was concluded to be a DSC issue. What do you mean with "It's a mess"?

image.png.f413064afcfa2ed543cc52f4fded972a.png

9 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

HDMI 2.1 is kinda a mess as we've seen with standards, also it's primarily TV focused while DP for monitors and DP 2.0 will be much better too anyway.

True it's first been implemented in TV's but it never was a TV-only thing. Now it's also in quite a few monitors. But yes, it's a complete mess and if the brand doesn't mention what specifically is supported that makes it "HDMI 2.1" all you can do is guess or read reviews.

Still, i don't yet see any reason for brands to implement DP 2.0. So of course you can wait until then, but you'll likely wait quite a while.

13 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

DSC is a visually lossless compression that to my knowledge doesn't bring any drawback whatsoever other than needing an encoder (most modern GPUs) and decoder (module inside the monitor). I haven't run into problems myself and i used DSC displays in the past. Also i haven't seen any other display issue that was concluded to be a DSC issue. What do you mean with "It's a mess"?

image.png.f413064afcfa2ed543cc52f4fded972a.png

True it's first been implemented in TV's but it never was a TV-only thing. Now it's also in quite a few monitors. But yes, it's a complete mess and if the brand doesn't mention what specifically is supported that makes it "HDMI 2.1" all you can do is guess or read reviews.

Still, i don't yet see any reason for brands to implement DP 2.0. So of course you can wait until then, but you'll likely wait quite a while.

There's more to it than that simple explanation though.

We've seen initial 4K high refresh rate displays that were 120/144Hz with DSC and chroma subsampling and for proper bandwidth and no drawbacks they'd had to be scaled down to 96Hz though. There were also some tests with G9 with DSC for example that it added extra latency, also panel not capable enough and image quality was worse. As well as text too. There were numerous posts about other monitors and in general DSC use issues. Really, no reason to push for it in upcoming monitors.

It's not TV only thing but HDMI is a TV space centric connector not DP and DP is on every monitor and graphics cards usually come with 3 DP and 1 HDMI for example. They're adding them lately to support latest TVs and consoles that's it. For highest resolutions and refresh rates DP will be used for monitors.

Oh I'm in not rush for a monitor now, just not willing to pay a super premium if it's either OLED issues and some compromise that's not necessary or won't be in gen after.

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

There's more to it than that simple explanation though.

We've seen initial 4K high refresh rate displays that were 120/144Hz with DSC and chroma subsampling and for proper bandwidth and no drawbacks they'd had to be scaled down to 96Hz though.

If they had to be scaled down to 96Hz or use chroma, then they didn't use DSC. 96Hz is DP 1.4's native bandwidth limitation.

4 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

There were also some tests with G9 with DSC for example that it added extra latency, also panel not capable enough and image quality was worse. As well as text too. There were numerous posts about other monitors and in general DSC use issues. Really, no reason to push for it in upcoming monitors.

The G9 had a bunch of issues that i know of, but none of them were concluded to be because it uses DSC afaik.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

If they had to be scaled down to 96Hz or use chroma, then they didn't use DSC. 96Hz is DP 1.4's native bandwidth limitation.

The G9 had a bunch of issues that i know of, but none of them were concluded to be because it uses DSC afaik.

Yes can't remember which vid was it now, it was use for 10-bit HDR without any image compression.

We would've seen 4k 240Hz by now years back no? Reasons we really didn't, and nothing to do with panel or GPUs though.

Level1Techs did a vid on G9 DSC issue, at least one I can remember.

We'll see reviews of Neo G8 it would suck if it had any issues.

10 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yes can't remember which vid was it now, it was use for 10-bit HDR without any image compression.

We would've seen 4k 240Hz by now years back no? Reasons we really didn't, and nothing to do with panel or GPUs though.

Level1Techs did a vid on G9 DSC issue, at least one I can remember.

We'll see reviews of Neo G8 it would suck if it had any issues.

All reviews i've seen from DSC monitors like the G7 and G9 pointed towards them not having any input lag issues whatsoever using DSC. Input lag is as good as other options not using it:

(chart taken from Hardware Unboxed)

image.png.76d1cb7ea7ff0797f3e53b785b0155a8.png

The reason we didn't see 4K 240Hz years ago is because the display technology wasn't far enough. That was not a limit from the DisplayPort connection.

Let's hope Samsung learned SOMETHING from the G7, G9 and Neo G9 releases and finally bring a working monitor to the market.

While DSC is technically lossy compression there are more than enough tests out there proving it's VISUALLY lossless. I for my part don't have a problem in getting a DP 1.4 monitor using DSC instead of a DP 2.0 one. If you have a problem with DSC you can of course play the waiting game. Nothing wrong with that.

19 hours ago, TrigrH said:

I really wish they would stop curving ALL their gaming monitors.

They dont..

they just uncurved the g7, this is presumably the replacemnet

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

All reviews i've seen from DSC monitors like the G7 and G9 pointed towards them not having any input lag issues whatsoever using DSC. Input lag is as good as other options not using it:

(chart taken from Hardware Unboxed)

image.png.76d1cb7ea7ff0797f3e53b785b0155a8.png

The reason we didn't see 4K 240Hz years ago is because the display technology wasn't far enough. That was not a limit from the DisplayPort connection.

Let's hope Samsung learned SOMETHING from the G7, G9 and Neo G9 releases and finally bring a working monitor to the market.

While DSC is technically lossy compression there are more than enough tests out there proving it's VISUALLY lossless. I for my part don't have a problem in getting a DP 1.4 monitor using DSC instead of a DP 2.0 one. If you have a problem with DSC you can of course play the waiting game. Nothing wrong with that.

I mean it's not that it's bad, but I've seen that in 120Hz it produced better results in practice.

Games use RGB color model, DSC uses YCoCg - Wikipedia so DSC (Essentials of DisplayPort Display Stream Compression Protocols (quantumdata.com)) method predicts the current pixel from adjacent pixels and encodes the difference between the original values. Pixel errors in certain flat scenes can be noticeable. I mean it may sound nit picky though there can be difference. Maybe not in very fast motion that you'd care in some games. Text can be bad.

Depends also per monitor at what settings you're running it for image quality/speed thing.

It reminds me of some that game on 4K but with lower medium details, just why? Makes no sense, at say 1440p high the image is better. No point increasing resolution with sacrificed detail, in the end, resolution is just resolution, mean if pixel quality is bad it means nothing then. Why would I game at 8K medium with DSC no point.

As I'm aware, we've had DSC for number of years no and let's remember, many 'to be first' that started releasing first of it's kind spec monitors wanted to kinda rush it for marketing too as well. Same for X refresh rate, but can be OC to higher is nonsense, always worse performance, because panel is not native for it but OC so.

I'm curious to see this monitor reviewed. 

35 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

I mean it's not that it's bad, but I've seen that in 120Hz it produced better results in practice.

Games use RGB color model, DSC uses YCoCg - Wikipedia so DSC (Essentials of DisplayPort Display Stream Compression Protocols (quantumdata.com)) method predicts the current pixel from adjacent pixels and encodes the difference between the original values. Pixel errors in certain flat scenes can be noticeable. I mean it may sound nit picky though there can be difference. Maybe not in very fast motion that you'd care in some games. Text can be bad.

Depends also per monitor at what settings you're running it for image quality/speed thing.

It reminds me of some that game on 4K but with lower medium details, just why? Makes no sense, at say 1440p high the image is better. No point increasing resolution with sacrificed detail, in the end, resolution is just resolution, mean if pixel quality is bad it means nothing then. Why would I game at 8K medium with DSC no point.

As I'm aware, we've had DSC for number of years no and let's remember, many 'to be first' that started releasing first of it's kind spec monitors wanted to kinda rush it for marketing too as well. Same for X refresh rate, but can be OC to higher is nonsense, always worse performance, because panel is not native for it but OC so.

I'm curious to see this monitor reviewed. 

Even if there would be a small difference 4K DSC would still look better than smaller resolutions without compression, 1440p for example.

All i have left to add is that i had a Samsung Odyssey G7 and a LG 27GN950-B, which both use DSC to reach their respective maximum potential. In both cases i saw absolutely no difference to a non-compressed image.

But yeah Samsung was the first in a lot of recent monitor launches, but everytime they did it so far they released half-broken products.

G7 was the first 1440p 240Hz, G9 first ultrawide 240Hz, etc. you get the point.

Let's see what this brings.

1 hour ago, Helpful Tech Wiard said:

They dont..

they just uncurved the g7, this is presumably the replacemnet

I'd say the changes are too big to call it a replacement. It's a completely different class of monitor catering to a different market. Their decision in also calling it G7 is something i don't understand though.