Laptop won't display on Gigabyte M27Q monitor when connected via USB C

I recently got the Gigabyte M27Q monitor which works fine when connected to my PC by HDMI but when trying to connect it to my laptop (Asus Viviobook n580vd) by the usb c port it doesn't work.

When I plug the usb c port into my laptop I get an error message on my main pc "display connection might be limited" 

On my laptop if I look at the usb c device under device manager it says "port reset failed" when opening the properties I get an error message

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)

A USB port reset request failed."

To troubleshoot I have tried 2 different cables, checked the usb c port on my laptop works by using a hdmi to usb c cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

USBC is a port shape not a speed.  It’s possible the port may just not be capable even if the connector is the right shape. The whole “it won’t fit if it doesn’t work” convention seems to be gone these days.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

The driver part and USB port reset stuff is confusing to me. But it should be noted that some USB-C standards do not allow for the transmission of video over USB-C. I had a HP laptop where attempting to use a USB-C hub with an HDMI out. The HDMI on the hub would not work when connected to the HP laptop, but it would work when the hub was connected to a $200 Chromebook. It is very likely Asus didn't use a USB-C port/standard/controller/something that is capable of video transmission, which is why you are having this issue. It doesn't matter the cable or the monitor, as long as u are plugged into that USB-C port, it likely will not work. 

But maybe its not this, when I had this issue, the HDMI on the hub just did nothing, and didn't cause driver errors like you are having. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

30 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

USBC is a port shape not a speed.  It’s possible the port may just not be capable even if the connector is the right shape. The whole “it won’t fit if it doesn’t work” convention seems to be gone these days.

The monitor is advertised and reviews say the usb c port is capable of connecting to a laptop. My laptop has the display port symbol next to the usb c port so I believe the ports should both be capable of it.

7 hours ago, CraigW said:

The monitor is advertised and reviews say the usb c port is capable of connecting to a laptop. My laptop has the display port symbol next to the usb c port so I believe the ports should both be capable of it.

Does it actually SAY so in the manual or just imply it? There may be specific instructions if so.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.