Anime Club - Heaven Society

JLCitadel

You have failed me.

he didnt make them he just stole them from the internet and is redistributing them

Stole is a strong word. 

"Forcibly obtained", "Happened upon", "Gently acquiesced", "Freely redistributed", and "Adequately repurposed" are all terms I'd prefer over stole.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Stole is a strong word.

"Forcibly obtained", "Happened upon", "Gently acquiesced", "Freely redistributed", and "Adequately repurposed" are all terms I'd prefer over stole.

Did you get permission to redistribute the intelectual property of all the people that have made backgrounds that you have collected?

he didnt make them he just stole them from the internet and is redistributing them

I know. But he mentioned it first.

Stole is a strong word. 

Is that so?

Blarg

Did you get permission to redistribute the intelectual property of all the people that have made backgrounds that you have collected?

Every single background was originally pulled from imgur. imgur doesn't have copyright protection like some other image hosting sites such as Flickr do.

But to answer your question: No, I didn't. 

I don't subscribe to a lot of the common "I can own an idea." beliefs. I know that doesn't make it "not stealing", but it's still not stealing. Is it piracy? I suppose it could be. But I don't think it's stealing. 

Stealing is when the owner doesn't have it anymore after you take it. Piracy is when you have something you aren't supposed to have, but the original person still has it too. 

That's my distinction. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Every single background was originally pulled from imgur. imgur doesn't have copyright protection like some other image hosting sites such as Flickr do.

I don't subscribe to a lot of the common "I can own an idea." beliefs. I know that doesn't make it "not stealing", but it's still not stealing. Is it piracy? I suppose it could be. But I don't think it's stealing.

Stealing is when the owner doesn't have it anymore after you take it. Piracy is when you have something you aren't supposed to have, but the original person still has it too.

That's my distinction.

<_<

Also more than likely most of the images were not uploaded by the person that created them as it is so just because its ob imgur doesnt really mean anything

<_<

Also more than likely most of the images were not uploaded by the person that created them as it is so just because its ob imgur doesnt really mean anything

Sorry if it bugs you, but that's how I do things. 

True. But these are backgrounds for wallpapers. I suppose somebody could download these to make prints of them and sell them, but unless money really is involved, I fail to see why it'd be an issue. 

These images are probably fairly old as it is anyway (for images on the internet at least). The torrent was originally posted on PCMR on Reddit over a year ago. Who knows how long ago the original images were uploaded (beyond the obvious things like "Mass Effect 3 came out X years ago" and "Anime XYZ came out X years ago". 

† Christian Member †

That's my distinction. 

you wouldn't download a bear

(the joke here being that's probably on a wallpaper in your archive)

Error: 410

It isn't probably. It is literally a wallpaper in that album. 

BNGE1Mr.png

I don't know. I just don't feel like art is something that should be monetized unless it serves a function. Being pretty isn't a function. I haven't exactly completely figured out how I feel about all that, but that's the general idea I've got so far. 

† Christian Member †

Yep I've got it.

LzuRET4.png

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Sorry if it bugs you, but that's how I do things. 

True. But these are backgrounds for wallpapers. I suppose somebody could download these to make prints of them and sell them, but unless money really is involved, I fail to see why it'd be an issue. 

These images are probably fairly old as it is anyway (for images on the internet at least). The torrent was originally posted on PCMR on Reddit over a year ago. Who knows how long ago the original images were uploaded (beyond the obvious things like "Mass Effect 3 came out X years ago" and "Anime XYZ came out X years ago".

I don't really care that you are doing it. More just the way that I inturprut what you are saying to be that the people that created them have no rights of ownership it seems in your logic lol

It isn't probably. It is literally a wallpaper in that album.

I don't know. I just don't feel like art is something that should be monetized unless it serves a function. Being pretty isn't a function. I haven't exactly completely figured out how I feel about all that, but that's the general idea I've got so far. 

Oh i'm just rolling with it for the sake of a joke

I don't care, people already whore out the same tired content every other fucking day on Imgur

The same shitty chuuni cringe gaudy and ugly as hell wallpapers, every time.

the wallpapers don't have any ownership attached anyway, or they would have never have been distributed in the first place and made it into that collection

I don't really care that you are doing it. More just the way that I inturprut what you are saying to be that the people that created them have no rights of ownership it seems in your logic lol

More like: Just because it was their idea, and they made it, doesn't mean I can't have it too, if they aren't selling it. It's digital content. The bits on my hard drive just so happened to be in the same arrangement as the ones on theirs. That's what it boils down to for me. 

I just fail to see how you can own an idea (which art effectively is, on it's own). I mean, yeah, contracts/patents/wtv, but I can only see ownership as limited for those types of things. Beyond that person getting to sell it, and that person getting to say "I made that.", I don't understand why others can't have it if they can replicate the idea easily. 

You make a stick into a spoon. I make a stick into a spoon to copy you. You don't suddenly own my spoon. Or get to dictate how I use it. I know, simplistic, and there are a ton of explanations for why that analogy doesn't work, but that's how I understand and see it.

the wallpapers don't have any ownership attached anyway, or they would have never have been distributed in the first place and made it into that collection

And see, I didn't want to say that, because although I feel that way, I know that people who don't understand the internet and how easy it is to get that kind of stuff once it's on here can easily be taken advantage of. 

They might think "I'll share this with everyone and sell it later." without realizing what they've done. 

† Christian Member †

...and a few more short episodes of anime while my brain decides to not sleep for some reason...

Teekyuu (9). so-so.

So this week they aired the spinoff as though it was Teekyu, which was strange and left me feeling a bit robbed. But then it actually wasn't a bad episode of the spinoff; it just still suffered from the usual problems the spinoff has. The energy just isn't there and the jokes are a bit obvious (since even Teekyu has a formula). But it was still nice to see them trading which tropes they were playing with, I guess.

Takamiya Nasuno Desu! (9). good.

What? A properly funny episode of the spinoff? That's so surprising that I thought my head would explode. All in-jokes aside, it was funny enough that I didn't actually mind not getting a Teekyu episode this week. About time they brought out their best material, amirite?

I Can't Understand my Hubby S2 (10). good.

Good stuff, another cute episode, and the jokes were actually really subtle. It's a bit of a stretch that another girl would fall in love with the MC, but maybe it's a sign that they really wanted him to be a more normal guy who just hid behind an otaku shell? I doubt it. But the episode was still cute.

My wallpaper, fun fact. A guy came in our shop to deliver parts for cars wearing the exact same glove in this background image... I told him he had awesome gloves lol.

gXZujEO.jpg

In all my backgrounds. Not a single Spice & Wolf. Not one. 

Blasphemy.

We have to put down the blasphemer... Purify with fire!

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I don't know what to tell you, because I had almost the opposite experience. I found the characters fairly intriguing because they have a more "get the job done" mentality rather than being there to emote their hearts out. They're Darker than Black characters, not Clannad characters. The Laughing Man plot features many nods to literature and is mostly about keeping on top of what's going on, rather than being spoon-fed everything. What you call repetition I found more of an exploration of the themes, which was indeed hit and miss sometimes, but definitely more on the intelligent side of such things nonetheless. If you don't like this kind of narrative style and don't pay attention, I can certainly see you feeling overwhelmed by trite-sounding stuff and a "who cares?" type of plot, but if you enjoyed Monster then I'm not sure why you couldn't enjoy GitS. Maybe you just prefer your crime thrillers to not be sci-fi, but rather the more classic "explore the criminal's mind" affairs?

PS: most people I know also hated the "stand-alone" episodes (aside from the Tachikoma one) for marring the pacing and being boring, but loved the "complex" ones (the main plot) and wished it had all been that. Perhaps that flaw was enough to upset the balance in your case and ruin the whole thing?

Yeah, ya peeps gotta read up on ya Richard Dawkins and ya J. D. Salinger's, ya dig?

tumblr_m3mjvubY5w1qdrrkto1_500.gif

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

tfw tracking on my keyboard changed from expected tomorrow to... Tuesday.

Tuesday

fucking Fedex is so toilet tier

nDiCE4F.jpg

The Razer Greens are just piss poor qc for sure. Non of the switches on my old Chroma had the same sound when depressed all the audible clicks were different.

Well your using genuine cherry knockoffs, so isnt that whats expected?

Well your using genuine cherry knockoffs, so isnt that whats expected?

but they're improved and made for gaming gaymin

My wallpaper, fun fact. A guy came in our shop to deliver parts for cars wearing the exact same glove in this background image... I told him he had awesome gloves lol.

We have to put down the blasphemer... Purify with fire!

They are amazing gloves. For those that use gloves.

@Vitalius I really hate imgur. Instead of saving the one image I select. It decides to save about 100 images or so. Also just trying to view an image is a PITA!

7b354c1fbf.jpg

Blarg

clicking the mouse wheel on a link opens a new tab. click mouse wheel on a tab closes it. ive been doing life all wrong. 

My life has now changed. By the way if anyone knows how to stop the nvidia display drivers from not responding while using chrome that'd be cool. The recent Witcher 3 drivers give me this problem for some reason.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

The supposed main villain "the laughing man" is so long and boring, I found some of the other villains more interesting. The main characters don't have any appeal (I know they are cyborgs so they are not having much emotion and all) the most entertaining thing is watching the tachikoma, (Watching the Major in a unitard doesn't count as entertainment) which is just sad. The most interesting episodes till what I watched is the one with the tachikoma discussing among themselves and the episode with a killer that removes peoples skins. For some reason there is an episode with only a discussion about the laughing man and almost everything they say is the repeat of what we already know from previous episodes. So where exactly is the interesting part for everyone to recommend Ghost in the Shell?

Yea, I was surprised to see this rated so highly. I thought someone bribed the reviewer to rate it high or something.

Well everyone has stuff that they find interesting and Ghost in the Shell isn't my cup of tea.

I don't think I didn't like it coz it was a quite type, I loved watching Monster, Touch and other such series.

@BashZeStampeedo , @TheProfosist , @Skybane , @Pohernori Since you guys loved Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, I am curious to know what you guys liked about the series?

What, just what? Do you not like things where you have to pay attention/promote thought? Hell even at a base level most people can appreciate it for the action.

The tachikoma need their own anime! They added so much and then they didnt leaving me in a pool of tears.

That would be called a recap episode for the most part. its to catch people up or remind people who arnt marathoning because remember this was one TV. Depending on if its the one im thinking where their in the chat room it does trigger other things.

There are so many reasons to like it form many view points. If I had time I could go into every little thing. But let me just say at the con I was recently at I went to two panels covering how Buddhism plays a roll in GITS one was on the manga/movies and the other on GITS SAC and Arise.

but they're improved and made for gaming gaymin

No they just have a razer stamp and were made in a different color

My life has now changed. By the way if anyone knows how to stop the nvidia display drivers from not responding while using chrome that'd be cool. The recent Witcher 3 drivers give me this problem for some reason.

I opened Chrome today and could no longer see anything on any of the monitors I wonder if that is related at all. @Charger

Either way what GPU config are you running. And how do you have your monitor connected?