Is The i5 10400 Worth It?

PressC

I was planning to upgrade my CPU from an i5 4590 (4c 4t) to an i5 10400 (6c 12t). I am also planning to upgrade the RAM from 8gb of DDR3 to 16gb of DDR4. (With a new motherboard ofc). I was wondering if you guys think the 10400 is worth it at this point? I know that the 12400 is on it's way, but it will also have the same amount of cores and threads, and the 11400 seems to perform the same at a higher price, power consumption and heat. It would be a $300 dollar upgrade overall. I'm not sure if you guys think that it would be worth getting something better of this is fine. I would appreciate some advice, since I don't know much about CPUs atm 

What will the use be? For gaming the 10400 is a great CPU and will be much better than a 4590.

11400 is quite a bit better, where did you find it performs the same?

Depends on pricing. The 10400 is a substantial upgrade from the 4590. The 11400 is better and would be worth getting if it's not much more expensive. https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-11400f/23.html

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

24 minutes ago, PressC said:

I know that the 12400 is on it's way, but it will also have the same amount of cores and threads,

there is more to a CPU than just core and thread count. The 12400 is rumored to have significant single thread uplift compared to the 10400. It also will release within a month, and you might be able to get a really good deal on a used 10400. 

25 minutes ago, PressC said:

and the 11400 seems to perform the same at a higher price, power consumption and heat.

Higher price, power consumption and heat I'll agree on, but same performance, no. It does perform significantly better, somewhere around 10-15% depending on the situation. Don't trust Userbenchmark if that's where you got that information from. 

27 minutes ago, PressC said:

t would be a $300 dollar upgrade overall. I'm not sure if you guys think that it would be worth getting something better of this is fine.

I think it's worth waiting the month to see how the 12400 and whatever AMD releases to compete will be. Both are rumored to show up within a month or so, and your system should be able to hold you over till then.

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

there is more to a CPU than just core and thread count. The 12400 is rumored to have significant single thread uplift compared to the 10400. It also will release within a month, and you might be able to get a really good deal on a used 10400. 

Higher price, power consumption and heat I'll agree on, but same performance, no. It does perform significantly better, somewhere around 10-15% depending on the situation. Don't trust Userbenchmark if that's where you got that information from. 

I think it's worth waiting the month to see how the 12400 and whatever AMD releases to compete will be. Both are rumored to show up within a month or so, and your system should be able to hold you over till then.

I was looking mostly at gaming performance (albeit they weren't the most reliable). I won't use this for anything else other than gaming. My GTX 970 is fairly old, so I don't think it will be pushing the 10400 nor a 11400 too far.

10 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

What will the use be? For gaming the 10400 is a great CPU and will be much better than a 4590.

11400 is quite a bit better, where did you find it performs the same?

I'm using this upgrade for gaming, as a CPU with only 4 threads just doesn't work well for gaming anymore. I saw a yt video where they were very relative in performance with what I believe to be a 2060, but since my GPU is even worse than the 2060, I doubt it will push either CPU far enough for me to notice the difference 

1 minute ago, PressC said:

I was looking mostly at gaming performance (albeit they weren't the most reliable). I won't use this for anything else other than gaming. My GTX 970 is fairly old, so I don't think it will be pushing the 10400 nor a 11400 too far.

Probably not, but when you eventually get a GPU upgrade, you should get a CPU that will keep up with whatever new card you end up getting. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Probably not, but when you eventually get a GPU upgrade, you should get a CPU that will keep up with whatever new card you end up getting. 

You're right. I will wait for the 12400, because even if I don't go for it the prices for the older CPUs might drop. I really just wanted to get a new CPU because my games stutter an incredible amount, and I know for sure it is not the 970.

2 hours ago, PressC said:

You're right. I will wait for the 12400, because even if I don't go for it the prices for the older CPUs might drop. I really just wanted to get a new CPU because my games stutter an incredible amount, and I know for sure it is not the 970.

It's not like you'll have to wait long, it's rumored to be announced at CES (January 3-6) and will likely launch within 2 weeks.