Buy Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge Gaming OC
On Amazon: https://geni.us/0IhBj
On Newegg: https://geni.us/QBJoRJ
On B&H: https://geni.us/ktEK

Buy Silverstone 750w PSU
On Amazon: https://geni.us/AA3OmIv
On Newegg: https://geni.us/B8Aa
On B&H: https://geni.us/ABjl9  

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

New Customers Exclusive - Get a Free 240gb SSD at Micro Center: https://micro.center/d61a58 Get 30% off list price and 30% off onboarding at http://www.graphus.ai/linus With GPUs getting bigger and bigger and cases smaller and smaller, will Silverstone be the one to save our space?

9 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

gpu slot machine? do I gamble with bitcoin or credit?

Yes

You'll also need to provide at least three forms of ID and a bank account with at least $5K already in it

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Great, now everyone will be looking at trying to buy a WD Green that hasn't existed in 6+ years... Not like I suggest anyone touch those or WD Blue POS's anyways...

45 minutes ago, Skipple said:

What's up with the latex glove?

He just finished a "medical examination" on Colton?

200.gif

CaseLabs may be gone but their Mercury S3 was a damn impressive ITX case - full size PSU, 2.5 slot GPU support and with the use of pedestals top+bottom even do full custom water with 80mm thick rads in push/pull. You could literally build the most powerful system and have it near silent, with plenty of room for drives in there as well.

I wish they were still around.

Going any smaller like this case just means compromises - you're limited to what GPU, PSU etc. you can use. And if one of those breaks/fails and you cannot find a "same size" replacement you are pretty much screwed. Even smaller jobs like the Corsair One I would totally avoid, since just an AIO failure would render that entire thing useless because it is using parts that are impossible to source/replace with off-the-shelf. It's a throwaway after 3-5 years or whenever that pathetic AIO pump kicks the bucket.

I'm a little disappointed in the case as presented... I used the same motherboard, 5950X, and 6900XT in a years-old Xigmatek Eris case and got roughly the same thermals without needing to water cool anything, using a full-size ATX power supply too. Plus, the Eris case was $56.65 shipped. Motherboard lays horizontal so I don't need to worry about GPU sag. I'm a little disheartened that ITX cases have gotten so much pricier and somehow less convenient to build in.

(was going to link a build log but this is my first post here and that seems tacky to include right now; can if there's any interest.)

3 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Great, now everyone will be looking at trying to buy a WD Green that hasn't existed in 6+ years... Not like I suggest anyone touch those or WD Blue POS's anyways...

I'm using a WD Green 😶 

Am I weird for actually likeing a bigger case, have a 900D and with 2x 360 rads its real quiet. might also be that my pc is below my desk, a higher case is more preferred as it in my case atleast makes me less likely of bumping it

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

2 hours ago, Yaxir said:

I'm using a WD Green 😶 

I have one as a slave for temp/non-important stuff, that's all they are good for. They will crash and burn, or crash and corrupt, they will steal all your data away.

In fact I think I have the only good Green in Canada...

2TB AKA "The Slave" 2013? Idk anymore.
image.png.066c056a15a73a3718498ce62542f161.png

6TB WD Blue AKA Crash and Burn... Dec 2017 > April 2021... (last known read on this computer)

image.png.273f65c729f368cf28e24845ee9bac10.png

Neither had any loving interaction with WDIDLE3.

1 hour ago, StephanTW said:

Am I weird for actually likeing a bigger case, have a 900D and with 2x 360 rads its real quiet. might also be that my pc is below my desk, a higher case is more preferred as it in my case atleast makes me less likely of bumping it

Small cases have their uses, as a foot rest and/or foot warmer in the winter. Reason why I don't own any is because they are like Lego bricks, one wrong move and you'll regret it for hours.

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

I'm so sorry.

lmao , it's not THAT bad 

but booting up Windows 10 x64 is pretty slow ( with 12 GB DDR4 RAM )

6 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

I have one as a slave for temp/non-important stuff, that's all they are good for. They will crash and burn, or crash and corrupt, they will steal all your data away.

In fact I think I have the only good Green in Canada...

2TB AKA "The Slave" 2013? Idk anymore.
image.png.066c056a15a73a3718498ce62542f161.png

6TB WD Blue AKA Crash and Burn... Dec 2017 > April 2021... (last known read on this computer)

image.png.273f65c729f368cf28e24845ee9bac10.png

Neither had any loving interaction with WDIDLE3.

Small cases have their uses, as a foot rest and/or foot warmer in the winter. Reason why I don't own any is because they are like Lego bricks, one wrong move and you'll regret it for hours.

holy crap ! 

are WD Greens unreliable ?! 

I have been using one for about 2 years now 

2 hours ago, Yaxir said:

holy crap ! 

are WD Greens unreliable ?! 

I have been using one for about 2 years now 

They are "reliable" till they hit around the 100K cycle count (I used them for video playback they forced a 2 second pause every few minutes which drove me insane, I wouldn't use them for any OS), at which time I wouldn't trust them. I think cycle counts can safely go up to 300K, however I've not seen that.

My Toshiba has nearly 6 years on time and it has only 3759 cycles, or about 1.5 a day. However I should mention that's weirdly the highest on time for all drives while equally being the lowest cycle count lol... Highest being just over 12K.

FYI I own 3 Greens a 3TB which corrupted (unsure if "green" caused it or if it was a issue with 3TB issues at the time, or both), and 2 2TB units one of which is either dead/dying or went the way of the 3TB, I might have posted their cycle times here in the past. So to answer your question, if you can use WDIDLE3 to kill the 5 second silent killer (set to 300 as anything over apparently doesn't work, aka 5 minutes) then the drives are like Blacks Reds or any other of their products, sadly WD made the idiotic decision to merge Greens into the Blue lineup (1TB and under should be still safe to buy) making the whole lineup after 2TB a no buy zone.

Before using WDWIDDLE3 do 2 things, backup your data, and check your cycle count to see how high it is to judge if it's worth it or not, you can use Seagates tool to find out:

https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support/downloads/seatools/

HDiNFO64 also shows it (as Head Load Events)

Or the program I use which isn't free with is HDSentinel, plus I forget them now there are more free tools out there as well.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

Oh I now shuck all drives from WD externals 🤣 be weary going this route tho anything under 8TB will be a blue/green (how I got my 6TB, it was an actual blue label), and a wild WD 8TB Blue has been spotted online (0 in stores, not being sold) as well as them starting to show up in said externals...

12 hours ago, retsel said:

I'm a little disappointed in the case as presented... I used the same motherboard, 5950X, and 6900XT in a years-old Xigmatek Eris case and got roughly the same thermals without needing to water cool anything, using a full-size ATX power supply too. Plus, the Eris case was $56.65 shipped. Motherboard lays horizontal so I don't need to worry about GPU sag. I'm a little disheartened that ITX cases have gotten so much pricier and somehow less convenient to build in.

(was going to link a build log but this is my first post here and that seems tacky to include right now; can if there's any interest.)

You should definitely link it, I'd love to take a glance :)

30 minutes ago, Egg-Roll said:

They are "reliable" till they hit around the 100K cycle count (I used them for video playback they forced a 2 second pause every few minutes which drove me insane, I wouldn't use them for any OS), at which time I wouldn't trust them. I think cycle counts can safely go up to 300K, however I've not seen that.

My Toshiba has nearly 6 years on time and it has only 3759 cycles, or about 1.5 a day. However I should mention that's weirdly the highest on time for all drives while equally being the lowest cycle count lol... Highest being just over 12K.

FYI I own 3 Greens a 3TB which corrupted (unsure if "green" caused it or if it was a issue with 3TB issues at the time, or both), and 2 2TB units one of which is either dead/dying or went the way of the 3TB, I might have posted their cycle times here in the past. So to answer your question, if you can use WDIDLE3 to kill the 5 second silent killer (set to 300 as anything over apparently doesn't work, aka 5 minutes) then the drives are like Blacks Reds or any other of their products, sadly WD made the idiotic decision to merge Greens into the Blue lineup (1TB and under should be still safe to buy) making the whole lineup after 2TB a no buy zone.

Before using WDWIDDLE3 do 2 things, backup your data, and check your cycle count to see how high it is to judge if it's worth it or not, you can use Seagates tool to find out:

https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/support/downloads/seatools/

HDiNFO64 also shows it (as Head Load Events)

Or the program I use which isn't free with is HDSentinel, plus I forget them now there are more free tools out there as well.

https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_sentinel_trial.php

Oh I now shuck all drives from WD externals 🤣 be weary going this route tho anything under 8TB will be a blue/green (how I got my 6TB, it was an actual blue label), and a wild WD 8TB Blue has been spotted online (0 in stores, not being sold) as well as them starting to show up in said externals...

thanks for the detailed answer 

I have a WD Green 1 TB , i hope 1 TB is safe lasts me quite a while 

I have an A-Data external HDD ( HD 680 - Military Grade shock resistance ) i use to back up my data once in two weeks, guess i'll do it more often now 

I am scared of losing data 

Money is a bit tight right now ( i'm a student ) , but when i finally do have some cash - which budget hard disk  would you recommend as a good purchase ?

your suggestions can include a 1 TB or a 2 TB drive , i just want safety, longevity and reliability above everything else ! 

15 hours ago, Luscious said:

CaseLabs may be gone but their Mercury S3 was a damn impressive ITX case - full size PSU, 2.5 slot GPU support and with the use of pedestals top+bottom even do full custom water with 80mm thick rads in push/pull. You could literally build the most powerful system and have it near silent, with plenty of room for drives in there as well.

I wish they were still around.

They are actually supposed to be coming back 🙂

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

13 hours ago, Yaxir said:

thanks for the detailed answer 

I have a WD Green 1 TB , i hope 1 TB is safe lasts me quite a while 

I have an A-Data external HDD ( HD 680 - Military Grade shock resistance ) i use to back up my data once in two weeks, guess i'll do it more often now 

I am scared of losing data 

Money is a bit tight right now ( i'm a student ) , but when i finally do have some cash - which budget hard disk  would you recommend as a good purchase ?

your suggestions can include a 1 TB or a 2 TB drive , i just want safety, longevity and reliability above everything else ! 

Should mention 500Gb/1TB WD Blues shouldn't have the 5 second idle time.

Toshibas have been fairly reliable for me but are hard to find since NCIX left, they are also usually the cheapest (bought by WD from Hitachi given to Toshiba to use, or something like that). Outside of that I would say WD Reds (locally they always go on sale lol, still $55 what I paid for 2 weeks ago and the same price as Blue right now here) Blacks are nice but they are typically going to cost more, if cheaper/equal than/as a Red buy it instead, reds aren't the best for say booting from (none are really anymore for 10+, WD red boots a little slow for Linux but acceptable) but they should hold up for storage use, I have one as a 2TB gaming drive now but I've yet to boot many games from it outside of GTA 5 and Timberborn it functions no differently than my other 2TBs.

When it comes time to getting a new drive be sure to drop a post here with your country/budget: https://linustechtips.com/forum/38-storage-devices/

Also this topic is a good read too maybe a bit dated however the comments in the topic may be more up to date: 

As a side note reason why I am not suggesting Seagate is because they all dead (if you want to buy them only Barracuda Pro or better), not a single still kicking for me so I have a very big biased towards them. I think family still has one external from them still kicking, but that could be due to it having an enterprise drive in it (it's old).

Also try to avoid Amazon I've seen/heard of events that kill drives or make them not safe to use after delivery.

20 hours ago, Lurick said:

They are actually supposed to be coming back 🙂

GN rumor? I heard that too. Timing will be critical if that news IS true since the PC space right now is seriously screwed.

Smaller? haha nooo.

Also seeing that sweet sweet SUPRIM X being larger, i'd love for it to eat up TWO X16 slots if it could.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, can you please share the fan config used for this video? I built almost the exact same pc but it is not as quiet and I'm wondering what am I doing wrong.