Looking for a WIRELESS gaming headset

Tristerin

Hello - Im a wired guy.  Got a new desk however and the headset cord has got to go.  I have already ordered a scissor boom and mic but need to replace the headset.

What I am reading is, alot of headsets have bad latency for gaming.  

Are there headsets, wireless, that are good for gaming?  Can you kind folks link me low, mid and high end solutions? 

Picking out my Xmas gift to myself 🙂

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

I have never noticed any latency with gaming on wireless headsets... unless we are talking BT headsets... but you shouldn't be buying those for gaming anyways. I believe anything that has a 2.4ghz dongle will be more than enough when it comes to latency. As for which one I would recommend, sorry, I haven't found my sweet spot yet. Currently rocking the Corsair Virtuoso SEs and I hate how stiff the ear cups. Hurts after a while of wearing them due to them pressing on the arms of my glasses. And the sound profile out of the box sucks IMO, I needed to really mess with the EQ to get it close to something I would consider decent.

So, sorry I can't recommend one, but I can recommend one I would avoid 🙂

Oh wait, my wife she has a Steelseries set that is comfortable, but I don't know about the sound signature. I'll see if I can get the model for you.

5 minutes ago, Frugivore8894 said:

Why do you need a head set if you have a dedicated mic?

I have lots of options, just got a great deal for a boom, dac, mic, etc so grabbed it.  I have other mics, or I can just give that to my kiddo and get a headset all in one, which works for me too.

Secondary reason - there are multiple gaming PCs in this room.  One gets the speakers, the rest of us headsets 

4 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

I have never noticed any latency with gaming on wireless headsets... unless we are talking BT headsets... but you shouldn't be buying those for gaming anyways. I believe anything that has a 2.4ghz dongle will be more than enough when it comes to latency. As for which one I would recommend, sorry, I haven't found my sweet spot yet. Currently rocking the Corsair Virtuoso SEs and I hate how stiff the ear cups. Hurts after a while of wearing them due to them pressing on the arms of my glasses. And the sound profile out of the box sucks IMO, I needed to really mess with the EQ to get it close to something I would consider decent.

So, sorry I can't recommend one, but I can recommend one I would avoid 🙂

Oh wait, my wife she has a Steelseries set that is comfortable, but I don't know about the sound signature. I'll see if I can get the model for you.

Ive been reading reviews and most that I see (there are tons of options, and Im trying to find a good BANG FOR BUCK not just spend $200 on a headset situation) talk about gaming latency up to 150ms.  

Right now I am not competitive gaming, but when I am/do I want low latency in all things.  Sound signature is cool but as a non-audiophile that means...not much to me (dont know what I would be looking for or at lol)

Looking forward to the responses!

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

4 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Ive been reading reviews and most that I see (there are tons of options, and Im trying to find a good BANG FOR BUCK not just spend $200 on a headset situation) talk about gaming latency up to 150ms.  

I have never come across this. 150ms would be very noticeable, like click mouse gun muzzle flash then after delay hear sound. This is not the case. I'm pwning noobs in BFV just fine with any of the wireless sets I've used in the past. The whole two lol, Corsair and the PS4 gold headset, both of which are 2.4ghz options with their own dongles.

4 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

ound signature is cool but as a non-audiophile that means...not much to me

Honestly, I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile but I know when something doesn't sound "right" if you know what I mean. Like listening to music through a wall with your ear up against a glass.

27 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Hello - Im a wired guy.  Got a new desk however and the headset cord has got to go.  I have already ordered a scissor boom and mic but need to replace the headset.

What I am reading is, alot of headsets have bad latency for gaming.  

Are there headsets, wireless, that are good for gaming?  Can you kind folks link me low, mid and high end solutions? 

Picking out my Xmas gift to myself 🙂

Well, If you're talking about latency, yes. If you care about sound, perhaps not. The only wireless headphones out there that I would really recommend by their sound are going to be bluetooth, which might not be the worst for gaming-especially if you're not playing games that rely much on sound. I played at a semi-competitive level for a while on a bluetooth headphone, it was alright. Let me stop rambling and get to the point, though.

If you're not interested in music much, or anything of the sort, and you want something that's lower latency, a good amount of the time I'd just recommend going with something that you like- something that has the features you want, that's comfortable, hell if you want something with RGB, go for that. Just go out to your local bestbuy and see what you like. Almost all of them will sound pretty similar, and will have 2.4ghz low-latency dongles (Transmitters?).

If you want stuff that sounds good, here are my recommendations across different pricepoints: 

-Koss ksc35 wireless- low end. Around $30 USD and they sound excellent for the price. Very lighweight, ear clips may not be comfortable for some but I've heard also purchasing the ksc75 and switching their earbands can work. It's economical, it's wireless, it sounds good. It looks mediocre-at-best if you care, and its battery life isn't exactly the greatest. (Alternative, koss porta pro wireless)

-Akg k361/371 BT- lower midrange. Around $120-$150 USD, they're Nicer over-ear headphones that you can also use wired (they actually function a good amount better when they're operating wired, but they're still a good option wireless). 

-Hifiman deva pro- Midrange/ upper midrange. Around $300-$320 USD, it's First Open-back headphone on this list, which means it'll bleed sound. It can also function with wired, and comes with an external modual that you plug into them to make them function. They're not exactly light, they're not exactly beautiful, but they sound damn good. 

-Hifiman Ananda-BT - Basically the most expensive wireless headphone around. Around $700 USD (iirc), I don't really know why you'd go with it, but it's there. I own the wired variant, quite nice. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

1 minute ago, Entropy. said:

I played at a semi-competitive level for a while on a bluetooth headphone,

Really? Very interesting, everytime I use BT headphones, there is either huge delays, or Windows doesn't know how to properly use the both as headphones and microphones. It was always a pain with BT. But I was using mainly office style headsets, like plantronics / jabbra's.