Anyone from the UK using Sky Broadband?

Cy-Fy

Hey I didn't really know where to put this. I'm moving into a new house which apparently already has the Sky connections. I'm trying to go on the website to buy just broadband but honestly I can't figure out where to go on the website to do this. It seems like the website is only for people who already have Sky and are trying to upgrade/change their contract. Anyone know how I can look at all the options available and just buy it?

Thanks

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

I've used sky in the past and its bloody awful; There support on Twitter is slightly better

If you can stick to someone like Virgin or BT FTTP. Much better service

Just now, GeorgeKellow said:

I've used sky in the past and its bloody awful; There support on Twitter is slightly better

If you can stick to someone like Virgin or BT FTTP. Much better service

Hey thanks for the reply. Apparently I've been told it might be worth sticking with sky since I wouldn't need much set-up since the house is already wired for it. In any case, how do you even use the website? I swear there's no option to just pay for a service there.. do they only do business over the phone?

21 minutes ago, Cy-Fy said:

Hey thanks for the reply. Apparently I've been told it might be worth sticking with sky since I wouldn't need much set-up since the house is already wired for it. In any case, how do you even use the website? I swear there's no option to just pay for a service there.. do they only do business over the phone?

I wasn't able to follow the entire process as I am not living in the uk but going through the steps from this page https://www.sky.com/deals/broadband filling in a postcode I got from google maps just let me to a shop with checkout. Is that not what you are getting? 

There aren't many subjects that benefit from binary takes on them in a discussion.

This is what you are looking for https://www.sky.com/tvandbroadband. They have bundled it with basic freeview TV which is confusing. As they use standard ADSL I would consider looking for the best service you can find. You don't normally keep the provider when you move to a new property anyway, unless its shared living

31 minutes ago, creesch said:

I wasn't able to follow the entire process as I am not living in the uk but going through the steps from this page https://www.sky.com/deals/broadband filling in a postcode I got from google maps just let me to a shop with checkout. Is that not what you are getting? 

30 minutes ago, abit-sean said:

This is what you are looking for https://www.sky.com/tvandbroadband. They have bundled it with basic freeview TV which is confusing. As they use standard ADSL I would consider looking for the best service you can find. You don't normally keep the provider when you move to a new property anyway, unless its shared living

Thanks, those are the same links I was trying to use but every option was for switching to sky instead of buying it for the first time.. maybe it's because I'm using Virgin wifi from the home I'm currently staying at. I tried using an incognito browser and got a little further.

But I still can't seem to be able to buy just broadband, I still would have to pay for the basic tv which has 100 more channels than freeview. I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of that too.

Might be worthwhile giving them a call, but I would seriously consider an alternative. Sky not the greatest provider and setting up new broadband will take the same amount of time regardless of what is currently in use.

Sky Support: 03337593578

5 minutes ago, abit-sean said:

Might be worthwhile giving them a call, but I would seriously consider an alternative. Sky not the greatest provider and setting up new broadband will take the same amount of time regardless of what is currently in use.

Sky Support: 03337593578

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind for sure. Do you have any suggestions for a better provider? I'm currently on Virgin and honestly the connection is very intermittent, disconnecting a couple times a day. But this can also be a problem with my location as well as where the router is.

Yea it's interesting because Sky says set-up costs will be 0 which leads me to believe that I can just 'plug and play' so installation should be 'immediate'.

Just to throw is my few cents, If you are currently with virgin give them a call/check website if they provide service in your new area. Sky was awful last time I was with them (few years back) and would avoid them as a plague especially if you don't care about sky TV 

6 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

Just to throw is my few cents, If you are currently with virgin give them a call/check website if they provide service in your new area. Sky was awful last time I was with them (few years back) and would avoid them as a plague especially if you don't care about sky TV 

Yea fair enough, thanks for the advice! Any past experiences with BT?

1 minute ago, Cy-Fy said:

Yea fair enough, thanks for the advice! Any past experiences with BT?

I have to say nice things as my wife works for them. Normally get decent speed but not the cheapest and I'm not a fan of the wifi router. I would go for one of the smaller companies or take a look at a price comparison website.

I'm currently with BT, and they have been fine, only paying £20 p/m for Fibre upto 70mb

Ive also had Virgin aswell and they have been good aswell

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

9 hours ago, Cy-Fy said:

It would most likely be set up for sky TV as they use the same lines as everyone except virgin media uses when it comes to anything internet related.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:06 PM, shaz2sxy said:

I'm currently with BT, and they have been fine, only paying £20 p/m for Fibre upto 70mb

Oh look inflation price rise, now you pay £20.50

Oh look inflation price rise, now you pay £21.25

Oh look inflation price rise, now you pay £23.14

Oh look inflation price rise, now you pay £24.90

<- my experience with BT.

Sky just uses the Openreach network for broadband service, just like all the other providers. It's not like Sky TV. If you're wired for Sky broadband then you're also wired for any other operator's broadband (besides fibre-to-the-home and Virgin Media)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

On 12/10/2021 at 3:06 PM, shaz2sxy said:

You got line rental on top of that right?btbb.thumb.png.0312c1ba52131f9447a8efdf21683c8a.png

this is the cheapest they're offering at the minute

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

6 hours ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

You got line rental on top of that right?btbb.thumb.png.0312c1ba52131f9447a8efdf21683c8a.png

this is the cheapest they're offering at the minute

Mine was renewal and they gave me a really good deal when I threatened to leave

7 hours ago, Amias said:

Oh look inflation price rise, now you pay £20.50

Oh look inflation price rise, now you pay £21.25

Oh look inflation price rise, now you pay £23.14

Oh look inflation price rise, now you pay £24.90

<- my experience with BT.

oh yeah you get that with most suppliers, but i tend to get good renewals to counter it

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

On 12/10/2021 at 1:00 PM, Cy-Fy said:

I'm pretty sure that's rubbish.  As you would be a new customer it would be no more or less complicated than any other ISP.

It might be "wired" for Sky TV, but there is no such thing as "wired" for Sky Broadband, its the same as any other broadband.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 12/10/2021 at 7:50 AM, Cy-Fy said:

Hey I didn't really know where to put this. I'm moving into a new house which apparently already has the Sky connections. I'm trying to go on the website to buy just broadband but honestly I can't figure out where to go on the website to do this. It seems like the website is only for people who already have Sky and are trying to upgrade/change their contract. Anyone know how I can look at all the options available and just buy it?

Thanks

Dont have experience with Sky Broadband by I do have experience with its parent company Comcast. Comcast is one of the largest cable/internet providers in the US. They are A Holes. Price increases at least yearly if not twice a year. Im sure the UK wont put up with the same shit they pull over here in the US, but Comcast also has Data caps across most of its foot print in the US. The point im making, you might want to look for a provider not associated with Comcast. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

13 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Dont have experience with Sky Broadband by I do have experience with its parent company Comcast. Comcast is one of the largest cable/internet providers in the US. They are A Holes. Price increases at least yearly if not twice a year. Im sure the UK wont put up with the same shit they pull over here in the US, but Comcast also has Data caps across most of its foot print in the US. The point im making, you might want to look for a provider not associated with Comcast. 

Yeah our more highly regulated and more competitive market means we don't generally get the same price rises or data caps.

Sky are one of the few ISPs that use DHCP rather than PPPoE so in some ways they are more efficient than other ISPs.  Not sure that translates into any real-world advantage though.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 12/10/2021 at 12:50 PM, Cy-Fy said:

Thanks

You'll probably need to create an account with them first. Also, you should go with Virgin if possible. Might be a pain if they need to dig your driveway up for the cable connection but honestly worth it 110%. Virgin over DSL is the same as every other provider because they all use the same OpenReach wiring. The only difference is the company themselves giving a crap about their customers.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:19 PM, demonix00 said:

It would most likely be set up for sky TV as they use the same lines as everyone except virgin media uses when it comes to anything internet related.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:54 AM, pythonmegapixel said:

Sky just uses the Openreach network for broadband service, just like all the other providers. It's not like Sky TV. If you're wired for Sky broadband then you're also wired for any other operator's broadband (besides fibre-to-the-home and Virgin Media)

22 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'm pretty sure that's rubbish.  As you would be a new customer it would be no more or less complicated than any other ISP.

It might be "wired" for Sky TV, but there is no such thing as "wired" for Sky Broadband, its the same as any other broadband.

Hi you all mentioned pretty much the same thing so I'm replying to all at the same time. I think my confusion was because when we moved into this house and had Virgin broadband and TV installed they had to drill through the wall etc and had to get the landlord's permission. In my case I'm almost certain that I won't be buying TV services as Freeview + netflix/prime is enough for me.

So an alternative I'm looking at is talktalk broadband. When you got to buy that it says that they need to do a new phone line installation. Isn't this what you guys are saying is NOT needed? I'm trying to gauge how much drilling and work in general the engineers will have to do to get it installed. Additionally, whats your opinion of talktalk?

Oh and last, what then would it mean for the house to be wired for sky tv? like what would be a potential advantage of sticking with sky? Thanks