Is my gpu dead ?

ChopstickWarrior

im using an old case but i removed the side panel and missing backplates. Last night i was trying to plug my bluetooth adapter to the back usb but i slipped and it fell right above the gpu. And then suddenly my screen goes black, i try to restart it but the screen still not showing picture. I try to reset the CMOS but still no sign of life, i try to remove the gpu and put it back in but it still no, try to clean the gpu by taking it apart and repaste then put it back in still doesn't work. I have spare GT 240 and try to put in on the pc to check if its not the pci-e slot or ram error, and it worked immediately. try to putting back the broken gpu still big no. Is my gpu dead ? is it because static current ? anyone knows what it cause exactly ?

my spec : i3-540, GTX 550ti (dead GPU), 4gb ram, and 450 PSU

sorry for bad english 😞

my cute beast : i3 - 530 3.2GHz | Gt 240 4gb | msi h55m-e21 | samsung 2x2GB | toshiba 500GB 7200 | greatwall 400W | unknown standart case from 2010 | Lenovo thinksvision L197 | Digital Alliance Meca 8 TKL | Digital Alliance Luna X2 | Shady chinese Headphone (but the sounds is good)

i know its old and have some crappy part, but it can run crysis tho.

4 minutes ago, ChopstickWarrior said:

im using an old case but i removed the side panel and missing backplates. Last night i was trying to plug my bluetooth adapter to the back usb but i slipped and it fell right above the gpu. And then suddenly my screen goes black, i try to restart it but the screen still not showing picture. I try to reset the CMOS but still no sign of life, i try to remove the gpu and put it back in but it still no, try to clean the gpu by taking it apart and repaste then put it back in still doesn't work. I have spare GT 240 and try to put in on the pc to check if its not the pci-e slot or ram error, and it worked immediately. try to putting back the broken gpu still big no. Is my gpu dead ? is it because static current ? anyone knows what it cause exactly ?

my spec : i3-540, GTX 550ti (dead GPU), 4gb ram, and 450 PSU

sorry for bad english 😞

Is the piece you dropped on it metal? And did it land on the back of the GPU? It’s possible it shorted.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Just now, LIGISTX said:

Is the piece you dropped on it metal? And did it land on the back of the GPU?

yes it is metal and yes it landed on the back of the gpu. So its true ? my gpu just died ?

my cute beast : i3 - 530 3.2GHz | Gt 240 4gb | msi h55m-e21 | samsung 2x2GB | toshiba 500GB 7200 | greatwall 400W | unknown standart case from 2010 | Lenovo thinksvision L197 | Digital Alliance Meca 8 TKL | Digital Alliance Luna X2 | Shady chinese Headphone (but the sounds is good)

8 minutes ago, ChopstickWarrior said:

yes it is metal and yes it landed on the back of the gpu. So its true ? my gpu just died ?

More than likely, yes.

Lucky for you, the GTX 550 is quite an old card. I actually had a GTX 560 die on me not too long ago.

If you let us know your budget, we can offer some suggestions on a good replacement.

PSU Tier List   AMD Motherboard Tier List   SSD Tier List

If your issue is resolved, please share the fix with the community.

15 minutes ago, ChopstickWarrior said:

It’s very possible, yes. If you swapped out a different card and the PC worked, it likely is the GPU. If you can test the GPU in another PC, that would help confirm it. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

10 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

If you let us know your budget, we can offer some suggestions on a good replacement.

RIP my boy 550, she served me well for over 3 years. i think its quiet bad timing for searching replacement since gpu price in my country is high af, but yeah some suggestion might be good but i'm not rich as well so my budget is around 200$ and im not sure i can get a decent gpu nowadays with that price *sad noise*

14 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

If you can test the GPU in another PC, that would help confirm it. 

gonna do that soon for making sure. i hope that thing still can be saved

32 minutes ago, ChopstickWarrior said:

RIP my boy 550, she served me well for over 3 years. i think its quiet bad timing for searching replacement since gpu price in my country is high af, but yeah some suggestion might be good but i'm not rich as well so my budget is around 200$ and im not sure i can get a decent gpu nowadays with that price *sad noise*

Its always a sad day when a PC component passes on. Unless it's a piece of hardware that was driving you nuts lol

What Country are you in?

2 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

What Country are you in?

Indonesia

11 minutes ago, ChopstickWarrior said:

Indonesia

I’m indonesian too. In toped and shopee, you could get a 1050 for around 3.5jt. Once I found a 1650 for 3.2jt. I could link some to you if you want

Please mark as solved if I answered your question.

3 minutes ago, Tech87 said:

Okay, I'm not familiar with that market.

Do you have access to amazon and eBay?

How about a local second hand place?

yes i have access to amazon and e-bay but the tax is not really friendly around here, and i dont trust local second hand place. Its quiet hard to find a normal working stuffs there and mostly they sell crap

19 minutes ago, Chikensoops said:

I’m indonesian too. In toped and shopee, you could get a 1050 for around 3.5jt. Once I found a 1650 for 3.2jt. I could link some to you if you want

i already 1050 ti on my shopee cart and ready to check out lol, but im not buying it since the price is twice as the msrp

If buying from second hand market, just be sure you're getting a reputable brand (MSI, Nvidia, Asus, etc)

And if possible, see the card working in person.

If not possible, make sure you get some kind of warranty.

Just now, Tech87 said:

If buying from second hand market, just be sure you're getting a reputable brand (MSI, Nvidia, Asus, etc)

And if possible, see the card working in person.

If not possible, make sure you get some kind of warranty.

thank you for the tips, i'll try to goes there this weekend. Hope i find gold in a copper mine