My Storage Dilemma

Wuishy

Welcome Fellow LTT People,聽

I ask for your humble help!

I have a Surface Laptop 3 and currently use it for gaming (Althought it is an IGPU, it is all I was given and I am very grateful for it)

Specifactions Of Laptop:聽

I5 - IDK

Intel Iris 640 Plus

256 GB SSD

Matte Black 馃槃聽(Everyone knows matte black improves performance)

The maxmium storage size of the laptop is 256gb according to manufacturing data however when it comes to window, for some reason it shows 237 GB of storage. Anyways my question is, can I聽 download two games, but be left with 10GB of storage. Would my laptop still run at maximum performace? What would the suggested maximum amount of storage to be used if the prior question was belived to be no?聽

Also this is a completly random question,聽

Would I be able to run Forza Horizon 5 on a聽

Ryzen 4700u

Vega 7 Radeon Graphics (1 GB, IGPU)

7 Gb Of Storage

Thank you in advance!

9 minutes ago, Wuishy said:

The maxmium storage size of the laptop is 256gb according to manufacturing data however when it comes to window, for some reason it shows 237 GB of storage. Anyways my question is, can I聽 download two games, but be left with 10GB of storage. Would my laptop still run at maximum performace? What would the suggested maximum amount of storage to be used if the prior question was belived to be no?聽

Normal. Due to OS storage requirements and drive formatting you'll never get the full advertised storage space for any drive.

For SSDs you generally want about 10 percent space free, so approximately 25 GB in your case. Less than that you can start seeing performance decrease, however, whether or not it will be bad enough for you to notice is hard to predict. Less free space also reduces the amount of extra space it can use to recover from errors, but that's not a concern typically until the drive gets to be older.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D聽GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz聽CL16 32 GB聽PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

12 minutes ago, Wuishy said:

Thats gigabytes vs gibibytes. The ssd capacity and windows use a different unit for storage, so there is no missing storage space.

7 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Normal. Due to OS storage requirements and drive formatting you'll never get the full advertised storage space for any drive.

For SSDs you generally want about 10 percent space free, so approximately 25 GB in your case. Less than that you can start seeing performance decrease, however, whether or not it will be bad enough for you to notice is hard to predict. Less free space also reduces the amount of extra space it can use to recover from errors, but that's not a concern typically until the drive gets to be older.

@RAS_3885

Would it be possible to run both games with less than 10gb left or go to alternative storage options and if so would something like a 128 gb flashdrive be fine?

you could get an external SSD for games.

be left with 10 gb doesn't hurt. but it doesn't help your situation. more so if you are updating or adding more to your system. having an own drive for games or backups are good. games mostly because of the big files and such.

1 hour ago, Wuishy said:

@RAS_3885

Would it be possible to run both games with less than 10gb left or go to alternative storage options and if so would something like a 128 gb flashdrive be fine?

Possible, yes, but an external SSD for games and such would better suit you in the long run.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D聽GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz聽CL16 32 GB聽PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Don't get a flash drive, you'll be so frustrated with the performance.聽 Pick up a USB-C SSD (I like the SanDisk but most are good), and it'll run at 10 Gbps, even.