Questions Regarding Shopping for Second Monitor

Ajido

Budget (including currency): Could go as high as $1500 USD if there was something exciting/cool but would prefer to keep it under $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Not really playing too much at the moment, making my own game in Unity, planning to play Mortal Online II in January when it launches

Other details: Current Monitor: LG 32GK850G-B 32" 1440p 144hz G-Sync, Current GPU: RTX 3080

1) I've never really had a two monitor setup before, when shopping for a second one do I want to make sure the refresh rates are the same or anything like that or is it okay if they're different?

2) The monitor I have now has G-Sync, I'm not totally sure if I want this existing one to be my main monitor for games or maybe if the new one is better it can be, but if I choose to stick with the old one is there any issue while gaming if one monitor has G-Sync and the other doesn't?

3) I currently have a HDTV hooked up to my GPU via HDMI for me to watch TV in bed sometimes, will there be any issues technically having 3 screens?

4) Lastly, in terms of setup configuration is it better to have one monitor directly in front of you as if you only had the one and the 2nd off to the side? Or do you put them so their meeting point is in the middle of the desk, or is it just personal preference?

14 hours ago, Ajido said:

1) I've never really had a two monitor setup before, when shopping for a second one do I want to make sure the refresh rates are the same or anything like that or is it okay if they're different?

Doesn't really matter. You can use all kinds of refresh rate or resolution combinations without introducing problems for the most part.

2) The monitor I have now has G-Sync, I'm not totally sure if I want this existing one to be my main monitor for games or maybe if the new one is better it can be, but if I choose to stick with the old one is there any issue while gaming if one monitor has G-Sync and the other doesn't?

Again no, G-Sync is enabled on a monitor-by-monitor basis. So you can have one where it's enabled and another one where it isn't.

3) I currently have a HDTV hooked up to my GPU via HDMI for me to watch TV in bed sometimes, will there be any issues technically having 3 screens?

No.

4) Lastly, in terms of setup configuration is it better to have one monitor directly in front of you as if you only had the one and the 2nd off to the side? Or do you put them so their meeting point is in the middle of the desk, or is it just personal preference?

I personally hate having the bezel right in front of me. This way you will constantly have your head turned one way or the other instead of looking straight ahead.

I currently have one of the weirdest combinations you could have when it comes to different displays:

Main monitor: 3440x1440 200Hz G-Sync Ultimate

2nd monitor: 1920x1080 75Hz FreeSync

3rd monitor: (TV) 3840x2160 120Hz FreeSync with G-Sync compatibility

They're all connected to my GPU at the same time, everything is working as intended and i have G-Sync and HDR enabled on the main and the 3rd display. No issues at all.

So back to the main question:

Do you intend to keep your LG as your main monitor? If yes, what will the 2nd one be used for?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

8 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Doesn't really matter. You can use all kinds of refresh rate or resolution combinations without introducing problems for the most part.

I'm curious with this as I suffered stuttering issue for desktop applications when I set monitor to different refresh rate. For example when my middle monitor is 144hz and left & right monitors are 60hz then it causes stuttering for my LR screens. Or when all my monitors are at 144hz by default and I turn on my C1 with 120hz, then it would add onto display extension and stutters all my monitors, but for the most part I would be only using the TV so I left this stuttering issue aside. 

On a safer side it's better to match refresh rate on multiple monitors but just wondering if there's a fix I'm unaware of. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

2 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

I'm curious with this as I suffered stuttering issue for desktop applications when I set monitor to different refresh rate. For example when my middle monitor is 144hz and left & right monitors are 60hz then it causes stuttering for my LR screens. Or when all my monitors are at 144hz by default and I turn on my C1 with 120hz, then it would add onto display extension and stutters all my monitors, but for the most part I would be only using the TV so I left this stuttering issue aside. 

On a safer side it's better to match refresh rate on multiple monitors but just wondering if there's a fix I'm unaware of. 

I never needed a fix it just works for me. Maybe try and disable G-Sync for the side monitors if you don't play any games on them. Then it doesn't add anything anyway. But i never had any problems even with G-Sync enabled on all monitors (even the non-supported one). I only have it disabled for my 2nd screen because it makes tabbing in and out of games significantly slower for some reason.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

11 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

So back to the main question:

Do you intend to keep your LG as your main monitor? If yes, what will the 2nd one be used for?

I'm kinda down to get something shiny and new to be the main monitor, and then put this LG as a 2nd next to it. I was thinking maybe this LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B 34" UWQHD 3440 x 1440:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824026224?quicklink=true

I haven't had a curved monitor before but I think I'd be interested, plus I think with my RTX 3080 3440x1440 is a good resolution. Don't really want to do 4K as I value the higher refresh rates.

4 minutes ago, Ajido said:

I'm kinda down to get something shiny and new to be the main monitor, and then put this LG as a 2nd next to it. I was thinking maybe this LG UltraGear 34GP950G-B 34" UWQHD 3440 x 1440:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824026224?quicklink=true

I haven't had a curved monitor before but I think I'd be interested, plus I think with my RTX 3080 3440x1440 is a good resolution. Don't really want to do 4K as I value the higher refresh rates.

While the 34GP950 is a great monitor by itself, it's kinda hard to recommend. On the one end you get 95% of it's performance with a Gigabyte M34WQ for about $500. On the other hand you can get a significantly better monitor that even supports real HDR with the Asus PG35VQ, but that's sitting at about $1700. And if you're already looking at a high-end option for $1200 the extra money for something significantly better might be worth it to you. So the LG really sits in a weird place imo.

3 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

While the 34GP950 is a great monitor by itself, it's kinda hard to recommend. On the one end you get 95% of it's performance with a Gigabyte M34WQ for about $500. On the other hand you can get a significantly better monitor that even supports real HDR with the Asus PG35VQ, but that's sitting at about $1700. And if you're already looking at a high-end option for $1200 the extra money for something significantly better might be worth it to you. So the LG really sits in a weird place imo.

Is the Asus PG35VQ what you own? I notice from your earlier post you have a 3440x1440 200hz screen and the specs match.

2 minutes ago, Ajido said:

Is the Asus PG35VQ what you own? I notice from your earlier post you have a 3440x1440 200hz screen and the specs match.

Yes, i have it and i'm very happy with it. There was another thread just a few days ago where someone asked about it and if it's still a good choice. Theres a lot of added information if you want to learn more. If you're shopping in the high-end it's still one of the best - if not the best - all around option.

11 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Yes, i have it and i'm very happy with it. There was another thread just a few days ago where someone asked about it and if it's still a good choice. Theres a lot of added information if you want to learn more. If you're shopping in the high-end it's still one of the best - if not the best - all around option.

Thanks, I just read through the thread and it's very informative. The only question I have regarding the Asus PG35VQ is the stand. Does the monitor wobble much? Should I consider picking up a monitor arm or something to keep it steadier?

2 minutes ago, Ajido said:

Thanks, I just read through the thread and it's very informative. The only question I have regarding the Asus PG35VQ is the stand. Does the monitor wobble much? Should I consider picking up a monitor arm or something to keep it steadier?

I personally don't have any problems with the monitor stand. But it's important with every stand that you have a stable desk to begin with. Arms could be difficult due to it's weight. I'd probably have difficulties trusting a monitor arm to hold this behemoth. But then again i've seen people wall mount it.

(Also you lose the RGB elements that are in the stand - if you care about that stuff - you can of course turn them off no matter what)

On 12/9/2021 at 6:46 AM, Stahlmann said:

I never needed a fix it just works for me. Maybe try and disable G-Sync for the side monitors if you don't play any games on them. Then it doesn't add anything anyway. But i never had any problems even with G-Sync enabled on all monitors (even the non-supported one). I only have it disabled for my 2nd screen because it makes tabbing in and out of games significantly slower for some reason.

Upon reading further what I'm experiencing is juddering which is well known issue from Windows 10. Programs would attempt to push whichever framerate the main monitor is set, so if my TV is 120hz then the on my monitor they would attempt to display at 120fps but due to mismatch with 144hz display it wouldn't be buttery smooth. 

It's like trying to watch YouTube videos with 30/60 fps on a 144hz display.

Going back to OP's first point it's not a big deal with different refresh rates for both monitors. If multitasking with media/games and annoyed with juddering on secondary display then the solution is to match refresh rate across all monitors, or doubling/quadruple would also be fine (e.g. 60hz/120hz, 60hz/240hz).

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820