Need help identifying cable

Krafte_

Hello! I needed to buy a replacement of this cable and I can't for the life of me find one. From what i gather its a 3 pole 3.5mm to a 4 pole 3.5mm cable? Probably totally wrong so thats why im posting here to find out the real name to look it up and order a replacement. If anyone can help I would really appreciate it, thank you so much!

unnamed (2).jpg

Just now, Krafte_ said:

3 pole 3.5mm to a 4 pole 3.5mm cable?

That is correct.

3 pole and 4 pole 3.5mm connectors are also known as TRS and TRRS respectively, which might give some relevant results too.

The main thing that can be annoying with finding replacement 3.5mm cables is that the plastic housing behind the connector can be a different size, so if the receptacle on the devices it needs to be plugged into could be too narrow, but that really depends on the design of either device.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Maybe it's the picture, but it doesn't look like it has a 3.5 mm connection at both ends. Looks like the end on the right is larger, maybe a 1/4" connector?

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

That looks like a 4-pole 2.5mm plug to a 3-pole 3.5mm plug. And who knows what the internal wiring is like.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

6 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Maybe it's the picture, but it doesn't look like it has a 3.5 mm connection at both ends. Looks like the end on the right is larger, maybe a 1/4" connector?

Looking at it again, I think you're right in not both being the same size.

Although I don't think either is a 0.25" (6.35mm) jack though. I think the right one is a 3 pole 3.5mm TRS connector and the left one is a 4 pole 2.5mm TRRS connector.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

No,  1/4" is huge compared to 3.5mm.

Yeah, forgot I have a 1/4" connector on my headphones and agree, it's way larger than the picture above. I think the above stating 3.5 mm to 2.5 mm is probably right.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

What is the exact application for said cable? Since there aren't really any standards for these types of things, it's very important you get something wired the same. It can't just be any ol' cable with the same ends.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

3 hours ago, Kid.Lazer said:

What is the exact application for said cable? Since there aren't really any standards for these types of things, it's very important you get something wired the same. It can't just be any ol' cable with the same ends.

I bought koss porta head phones and this came to connect the wire coming directly from the headphones

Thank yall for the help i really appreciate it. I found these two on amazon and they both mention used for stereo/audio... you think these would work?  

first one

second one

27 minutes ago, Krafte_ said:

Thank yall for the help i really appreciate it. I found these two on amazon and they both mention used for stereo/audio... you think these would work?  

first one

second one

Given the cable you posted is a 4-pole 2.5 mm to 3-pole 3.5 mm neither of the two you posted with be an equally functional replacement. The first has the 4-poles on the 3.5 mm side and the second has only 3-pole on both sides. They MAY work, but you would be losing microphone capability (that's what the fourth pole does).

Are these your headphones?

https://koss.com/products/porta-pro

Based on the product page and sleuthing through the Amazon review pictures I can't figure out where this cable would actually go. It appears the cable is hardwired to each ear cup and terminates in a 3.5 mm plug on the other end.

26 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Given the cable you posted is a 4-pole 2.5 mm to 3-pole 3.5 mm neither of the two you posted with be an equally functional replacement. The first has the 4-poles on the 3.5 mm side and the second has only 3-pole on both sides. They MAY work, but you would be losing microphone capability (that's what the fourth pole does).

Based on the product page and sleuthing through the Amazon review pictures I can't figure out where this cable would actually go. It appears the cable is hardwired to each ear cup and terminates in a 3.5 mm plug on the other end.

The Porta Pro does NOT have a removable cable. Not sure what this cable would be used for in the context of this product

22 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Ah okay, im not looking for any microphone capabilities and i dont think the headphones have it unless you buy a certain cord. This is what the cable looks like (tried to show as much detail as possible haha).. Also yes those are the headphones. It seems as if they have the extra cable so you can interchange it and get the cables THEY sell such as the lightning or usbc cables.

2 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

The Porta Pro does NOT have a removable cable. Not sure what this cable would be used for in the context of this product

I submitted a video in another reply for context. 

1 minute ago, Krafte_ said:

I submitted a video in another reply for context. 

video is not viewable, you need to "attach" files to the post

3 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

That's my point 🙂 I don't understand where this cable comes into play.

1 minute ago, Krafte_ said:

Ah okay, im not looking for any microphone capabilities and i dont think the headphones have it unless you buy a certain cord. This is what the cable looks like (tried to show as much detail as possible haha).. Also yes those are the headphones. It seems as if they have the extra cable so you can interchange it and get the cables THEY sell such as the lightning or usbc cables.

IMG_56010559.MOV

The cable you posted is a male-to-male cable. I don't understand how it interfaces with the built-in cable that comes with the Porta Pros.

6 minutes ago, ShearMe said:

video is not viewable, you need to "attach" files to the post

@RAS_3885 @ShearMe I used the choose file option on the attach file label. Does this one work? Also the cable (2.5mm side) plugs into the wire coming from the headphones which lets you plug it into 3.5mm ports(or jacks or what ever the name is). That is my understanding if that makes sense.

**i just uploaded it to dropbox to make it easier**

Just now, Krafte_ said:

@RAS_3885 @ShearMe I used the choose file option on the attach file label. Does this one work? Also the cable (2.5mm side) plugs into the wire coming from the headphones which lets you plug it into 3.5mm ports(or jacks or what ever the name is). That is my understanding if that makes sense.

IMG_56010559.MOV

No, it does not.

How about a picture of the full cable coming out of the headphones?

2 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

No, it does not.

How about a picture of the full cable coming out of the headphones?

I edited it and added a link to the video 

5 minutes ago, Krafte_ said:

I edited it and added a link to the video 

Got it. That's really odd since their own product page does not show the headphones as having a removeable plug.

Given the above any 2.5 mm --> 3.5 mm adapter cable should work. Just get whatever length you want/need.

24 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Got it. That's really odd since their own product page does not show the headphones as having a removeable plug.

Given the above any 2.5 mm --> 3.5 mm adapter cable should work. Just get whatever length you want/need.

Yeah i agree it is odd! Thank you for the help!!!