I do and I don't want an AIO. Help me decide.

SRRAE

Recently I've been getting a little in to RGB in my computer ( please don't judge me 😉 ).  No rainbow puke but I like the ambience it can create with some subtle lighting especially when just listening to some music.. 

One of the down sides I have to my setup is the huge Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU cooler, it blocks much of the lighting and I am thinking of swapping it for an AIO.  I know the advantages of each but just wanted to open a discussion with people in the know about these things.

I've have the Dark Rock Pro 3 for well over 5 years and is probably closer to 7 years as I remember buying it not long after it was launched. it cooled my 2500K, Ryzen 2600X and now my 5600X. It has done a fantastic job and is still doing a great job.  I know the 5600X doesn't generate much heat but still, I rarely hear the fans spinning up.  I doubt I will get 7 years flawless usage from an AIO, but is it time to update?  At the moment an AIO is overkill for the 5600X but when I do upgrades, I don't replace my entire computer at once. So this would be with my computer for the next several computer iterations.

I have been given a little money for my birthday and was wondering if I should use it for this upgrade?

What are people's thoughts?
Is there really no need to change the cooler?  Am I over estimating how much of the light the Dark Rock Pro is blocking?  Would the money best be invested else where on my computer?

My basic setup is
Case: Lian li lancool 2 mesh.
CPU: Ryzen 5600x
Mobo: MSI X470 gaming Pro Carbon

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600Mhz
GPU; 6800XT
Storage: 2TB Corsair MP600 Core NVME, 500GB WD NVME, 500GB Samsung SSD, 2TB WD HDD
Cooling: 2x Corsair LL140,  4x Corsair LL120

You literally just said it's doing it's job just fine so I don't see a single reason to get one. If you want lights just add some fans elsewhere or a led strip I mean the only fans it's blocking if at all is the back and top one but those should still be plenty visible and giving of light.

Turn on pbo for the 5600x, then it wont be overkill.

Right now your computer is really well balanced, so its not really worth it to put the money elsware. Maybe a new motherboard like a b550, a x470 board for a modern cpu would be meh, plus there are features you miss like pbo2.0 ( i think, dont quote me on that, it may be a thing on a 400 board)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Personally I'd stick with your air cooler. Maybe get some RGB LED lights for your room instead so you can adjust the entire room ambience from a smart device/remote.

I think I will stick with the air cooler. There is no performance benefit, it will almost certainly be louder and will purely be a purchase on asthetics.

I may upgrade the Motherboard.  Although the x470 is working fine, it is a beta BIOS to work with the 5600X and I think the BIOS is quite generic to all of MSI's x470 motherboards. The BIOS interface is terrible and some of the improvements which were gained with previous BIOS updates were kinda lost  with this beta one.

Plus as I have just upgraded my RAM, it means I will have an MSI x470 motherboard, Ryzen 2600X CPU with 16GB or RAM I can bundle together and sell.

2 hours ago, SRRAE said:

I have been given a little money for my birthday and was wondering if I should use it for this upgrade?

What are people's thoughts?
Is there really no need to change the cooler?  Am I over estimating how much of the light the Dark Rock Pro is blocking?  Would the money best be invested else where on my computer?

The dark rock pro 3 uses 2 fans. Just remove the front fan and run the center fan. You'll be able to see your RAM then.

Should look similar to my nhd15 only running the center fan

gpu4.jpg