Ping spikes on 5Ghz but not on 2.4Ghz

ricardodacp

Hello everyone,

I've been experiencing ping spikes every minute in games while connected to the 5Ghz but it doesn't happen on the 2.4Ghz. In fact, using 2.4 gives me almost the same ping as with using an ethernet cable with very little ping variation (And yes, I know I should use ethernet for online gaming, but it's inconvenient for my use case).

For context, I'm using a laptop with the intel 9260 wifi card and the router is in the same room, about 4m from the laptop with nothing between them.
I've tried changing the wifi card settings for the best performance, changing channels and bandwidth for the 5Ghz (my router has automatic with dfs by default but same results) and every tweak I could find to improve it, but no luck.

Also tested the down/up speeds and are always consistent 200/100.

Is this just one of those things about wifi that I can't do anything about (other than connecting to 2.4Ghz when I want to game) or could be something else like the channel overlap with my neighbours network?

Thanks in advance!

get closer to the router, 5ghz cover less area than 2.4ghz.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

It could be that there are more devices on 5 ghz so when you use 2.4 ghz it's less congested and means that you won't get as much issues. Granted also 5ghz is usually better than 2.4ghz when you are relatively close to your router and you have a clear line of sight between you and the router. 5ghz is much easier to get blocked by walls and objects while 2.4ghz is much more ideal if you are connecting between walls and at further distances. At the end of the day though I would stick to 2.4 If you have a better connection with it. It's not like there is any reason to try and force 5ghz with 2.4 is working better. 

5 hours ago, ricardodacp said:

I've been experiencing ping spikes every minute in games while connected to the 5Ghz but it doesn't happen on the 2.4Ghz.

What you still need to tell us are:

1. Make/model of your wireless router or AP
  2. The current WiFi settings per antenna
  3. A spectrum analysis of 5GHz in your area (use WiFiman)

Meanwhile, take a look at this article.