Helping friend make PC for video editing/gaming.

rushias

Budget (including currency): $1200 at most. If needed, the budget can be flexed a bit.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Premiere Pro, Illustrator 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

They're a video editor and they do this for a living, so they would like something that's definitely capable of video editing. They're also interested in playing video games. Any advice would be great.

Edited by rushias

What type of video do they edit and how much do you want to spend? Depending on the video, you could get by with like $600 in PC components, or you'll have to spend $3000 plus for a decent experience. 

well you making our hands tight saying the budget depends
I'd like to say you should get amd ryzen 5000 series, but I also haven't yet checked the new 12th gen of intel!
you will need at least 32GB of RAM 3200Mhz or 3600Mhz (if AMD 100% 3600Mhz)
if Ryzen I'd say a good b550 is just good enough! but you can go for a x570 if you wanna use more than 1 pcie 4.0 nvme ssd...
your psu depends on what gpu you are gonna buy... idk the budget so I can't say what gpu to get and also idk what gpu you can get your hands on either...

I'd personally suggest at least 850 watts!
the chassis and cooler are personal choice. but if the intel one is better then I wouldn't say anything since I have no info about them yet 🙂

Just Do It..

6 minutes ago, RYB-Michael said:

well you making our hands tight saying the budget depends
I'd like to say you should get amd ryzen 5000 series, but I also haven't yet checked the new 12th gen of intel!
you will need at least 32GB of RAM 3200Mhz or 3600Mhz (if AMD 100% 3600Mhz)
if Ryzen I'd say a good b550 is just good enough! but you can go for a x570 if you wanna use more than 1 pcie 4.0 nvme ssd...
your psu depends on what gpu you are gonna buy... idk the budget so I can't say what gpu to get and also idk what gpu you can get your hands on either...

I'd personally suggest at least 850 watts!
the chassis and cooler are personal choice. but if the intel one is better then I wouldn't say anything since I have no info about them yet 🙂

126K and 5800X are pretty similar in terms of productivity workloads (outperforms in gaming, but only by a bit) but the Z690 platform is far superior. 

126K is 40 USD cheaper than 5800X, but it starts getting pricy at the motherboard. Z690 A Pro @ 220 USD 

ADL scales harder with memory than Zen 3.
So even a Ripjaws 3600C16/3200C16 2x16 will suffice.
If "friend wants to OC then 4000C19 VIpers Steels are nice.

X570 is not needed, unless this is some really high end video editing that can fully utilize Gen4 speeds. (Z690 has Gen 5 so..) 

3 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

What type of video do they edit and how much do you want to spend? Depending on the video, you could get by with like $600 in PC components, or you'll have to spend $3000 plus for a decent experience. 

They edit professional video. They're paid for most of their work and they are in a major related to video editing.

18 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Any budget? 

What games? What settings? 

I don't really know what games. I'm guessing they'd like to play most games. 

2 minutes ago, rushias said:

They edit professional video. They're paid for most of their work and they are in a major related to video editing.

there's still a lot of variance in that, and a budget really is important. Give us something to work with, most of your answers are pretty vague. What format video do they use, what do they want for preview resolution, what resolutions do they edit on, how many monitors do they use for editing, etc. Each one determines what they should go with. They might be better off buying a threadripper CPU and not caring at all about the GPU, or it might make more sense to go with a cheaper CPU (say 5600X) and spend all their money on a 3090 or Quadro. We need more to go off of than just "professional video editor" and "maybe play some games"

They just mentioned that want some thing that works well, but doesn't go overboard in terms of specs or price.

3 minutes ago, rushias said:

They just mentioned that want some thing that works well, but doesn't go overboard in terms of specs or price.

So again what is the budget? We need a price as overboard in terms of price is entirely subjective.

The build I have in mind is 2500€ give or take a little. But I need a budget because I have a feeling that is too much.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

So again what is the budget? We need a price as overboard in terms of price is entirely subjective.

The build I have in mind is 2500€ give or take a little. But I need a budget because I have a feeling that is too much.

$1200 is the max. We'll just start with that.

[BZZT!]

(i dont know how to delete my own comment...)

(please... ignore this message..)

42 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

there's still a lot of variance in that, and a budget really is important. Give us something to work with, most of your answers are pretty vague. What format video do they use, what do they want for preview resolution, what resolutions do they edit on, how many monitors do they use for editing, etc. Each one determines what they should go with. They might be better off buying a threadripper CPU and not caring at all about the GPU, or it might make more sense to go with a cheaper CPU (say 5600X) and spend all their money on a 3090 or Quadro. We need more to go off of than just "professional video editor" and "maybe play some games"

What format video do they use,

mp4

what do they want for preview resolution,

1920x1080 for export and preview

what resolutions do they edit on,

1920x1080

how many monitors do they use for editing

just one.

They're also interested in having 4k video editing. But, if it's not a requirement if it breaks the budget too much ($1200).

3 minutes ago, rushias said:

What format video do they use,

mp4

what do they want for preview resolution,

1920x1080 for export and preview

what resolutions do they edit on,

1920x1080

how many monitors do they use for editing

just one.

They're also interested in having 4k video editing. But, if it's not a requirement if it breaks the budget too much ($1200).

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sDyfK3

Get whatever GPU you can fit in with the remainder of the budget. It should be able to handle 4k, especially with a decent video card. Since you're using Premier, your better off getting a Nvidia card. Something like a GTX 1070Ti will probably fit in there and do a decent job, though if you want to try your hand at a new card, the 3060 is your only option. 

6 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Get whatever GPU you can fit in with the remainder of the budget. It should be able to handle 4k, especially with a decent video card. Since you're using Premier, your better off getting a Nvidia card. Something like a GTX 1070Ti will probably fit in there and do a decent job, though if you want to try your hand at a new card, the 3060 is your only option. 

thank you so much! your help is super appreciated.

1 hour ago, iMxmo said:

126K and 5800X are pretty similar in terms of productivity workloads (outperforms in gaming, but only by a bit) but the Z690 platform is far superior. 

126K is 40 USD cheaper than 5800X, but it starts getting pricy at the motherboard. Z690 A Pro @ 220 USD 

ADL scales harder with memory than Zen 3.
So even a Ripjaws 3600C16/3200C16 2x16 will suffice.
If "friend wants to OC then 4000C19 VIpers Steels are nice.

X570 is not needed, unless this is some really high end video editing that can fully utilize Gen4 speeds. (Z690 has Gen 5 so..) 

yeah, pricewise thanks to intels motherboard prices, they are pretty much the same, and yes I agree, unless they really need the extra gen4 slots, it's really useless to buy x570! since they are saying top budget is 1200$, if the decision is AMD at the end, I wouldn't go with x570 at any situation! they can get a b550 for a very good price, and I guess a Ryzen 5 5600x is in their price range? I guess with their budget they have to go with DDR4 versions of intel motherboards if they decide intel...! I really can't say they can professionally video edit with that price of a build, but I am no expert in that field! if they are making money out of it, I guess it is worth it to spend a bit more on the build! or make it some way so they would be able to upgrade without too much to lose!

Just Do It..

8 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I really think he built the best for your budget just go with it, maybe since they want video editing u can buy 32GB(2x16GB) of RAM so they would have more to upgrade in future? correct me if I am wrong in terms of RAM needs for video editing...

Just Do It..

2 minutes ago, RYB-Michael said:

I really think he built the best for your budget just go with it, maybe since they want video editing u can buy 32GB(2x16GB) of RAM so they would have more to upgrade in future? correct me if I am wrong in terms of RAM needs for video editing...

That's exactly what I was thinking, too. Thanks for the help!

19 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I mostly agree with this except on storage.

You should really split your storage, I get the budget is tight so you can't do the ideal 3x ssd set up.

But having one nvme ssd for OS/program files/cache. Then another nvme or SATA SSD for the actual assets will make a massive difference. So I would say getting a worse nvme ssd that is 500gb and a 1-2tb SATA SSD would be the best. Having video files on an ssd will make more of a difference to performance than other things with the resolution he is at.

Also, depending on the average length of project 16gb should be fine. But if he is doing long form projects or multicam then more may be needed but this is probably one of the easiest things to upgrade later.

Has he already got back up drives for media copies?

This might be something to budget.

Sadly the market for gpu's is kinda bad so that will eat more of your budget than it really should but I guess it is what it is.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Adorama) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($99.97 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($124.39 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1224.25
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-03 16:40 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

27 minutes ago, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor  ($299.99 @ Adorama) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler  ($49.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($99.97 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($124.39 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2021) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1224.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-03 16:40 EST-0500

I would say that the more VRAM/better GPU would be more important than the 32gb of ram. Especially as normal ram is easier to upgrade later without wasting what you already have.

Also replacing the 1tb nvme ssd with a smaller primary drive a 1tb second ssd if he is editing in premiere so it doesn't crash so much.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($250.00 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Neo Forza FAYE 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-4400 CL19 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg Sellers) 
Storage: Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Deepcool MATREXX 40 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($44.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower iRGB PLUS 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $591.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-03 21:14 EST-0500

then get the GPU and Motherboard from here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.4409624 $580

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W