Is a hyper t4 enough for a 12600?

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,
1 hour ago, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh said:

I’ve been planning an upgrade from i3 10100F to a I5 12600k because BF 2042 runs like absolute crap and it’s because it’s so cpu intensive. I’m using a hyper t4 and it keeps the I3 really cool but I’ve been wondering if it will keep the 12600 cool? I won’t be doing any OC so that’s not an issue because I’m getting a b660 board whenever they release. I also have a Arctic p12 and my cases rear fan in push pull.

(also is there a special adapter or anything I’ll need for lga 1700 or no?)

Hyper t4 looks like a pretty standard120mm 4 pipe tower cooler.  Decent chance it’s fine.  If it’s a 92mm fan higher chance it’s light, if it’s a 140mm the opposite.  There are things that could knock it below fine like unusually bad flatness, a bad mount, poor case air, really high ambients, or big overclocks.  Seems in range though.  Such a thing is really kind of overkill for an i3. Even if it’s 92mm.  My memory is anything pre aldurlake may occasionally need an adaptor but older coolers usually fit fine. Gets more problematic with alder lake though.   My suggestion is look up the coolermaster site, and see what sort of connector it requires for lga1700, then see if you have one already. If there is no compatibility from the manufacturer there probably isn’t any compatibility at all. 

I’ve been planning an upgrade from i3 10100F to a I5 12600k because BF 2042 runs like absolute crap and it’s because it’s so cpu intensive. I’m using a hyper t4 and it keeps the I3 really cool but I’ve been wondering if it will keep the 12600 cool? I won’t be doing any OC so that’s not an issue because I’m getting a b660 board whenever they release. I also have a Arctic p12 and my cases rear fan in push pull.

1 hour ago, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh said:

Hyper t4 looks like a pretty standard120mm 4 pipe tower cooler.  Decent chance it’s fine.  If it’s a 92mm fan higher chance it’s light, if it’s a 140mm the opposite.  There are things that could knock it below fine like unusually bad flatness, a bad mount, poor case air, really high ambients, or big overclocks.  Seems in range though.  Such a thing is really kind of overkill for an i3. Even if it’s 92mm.  My memory is anything pre aldurlake may occasionally need an adaptor but older coolers usually fit fine. Gets more problematic with alder lake though.   My suggestion is look up the coolermaster site, and see what sort of connector it requires for lga1700, then see if you have one already. If there is no compatibility from the manufacturer there probably isn’t any compatibility at all. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Thanks a bunch, the only reason I got it was the fan on my intel stock cooler was a jet engine and I was at the local computer store getting an adapter and saw this thing for a decent price and it works great really quiet and amazing temps, as long as it doesn’t melt the 12600 I’m happy

52 minutes ago, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh said:

Thanks a bunch, the only reason I got it was the fan on my intel stock cooler was a jet engine and I was at the local computer store getting an adapter and saw this thing for a decent price and it works great really quiet and amazing temps, as long as it doesn’t melt the 12600 I’m happy

That it likely won’t do without at least some major help.  It will get loud first quite likely. It will also be louder than on your i3.  Not sure how much.  Should be usable though. I don’t know how much you could overclock with it.  Likely some. 4 pipe tower coolers are generally acceptable for under 140w.  That i3 was less than half that. New chip isn’t though.  I’ve heard of people pushing 12600ks into the near  200w range with heavy overclocks. So some, but likely not max.  How well a cpu overclocks are very much a case by case thing, and 120600s tend to not be spectacularly binned. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.