Looking for a special style pc for new build

MrXeno

Budget (including currency):  750 Euros

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: General everyday use 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So I am looking for a bit of a special pc, I got my build planned but was wondering if there a is pc in the shape or style of a PCIE card. I was thinking about having it inside my case to not have two pc's on the desk. Don't more then what a I5 NUC can provide.

Any ideas what these are called or if they are a thing even?

This sort of thing exists but not really for consumer utilization. It’s called PICMG and it’s for backplane servers.

6DB03BFA-1C2F-4B9B-9BA7-06E9FC54C896.jpeg.ae1e9a9ef29ec1da0f8cd19ce81e87a9.jpeg

Note the connection is two pcie x16’s and two x8’s

9 minutes ago, MrXeno said:

Budget (including currency):  750 Euros

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: General everyday use 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So I am looking for a bit of a special pc, I got my build planned but was wondering if there a is pc in the shape or style of a PCIE card. I was thinking about having it inside my case to not have two pc's on the desk. Don't more then what a I5 NUC can provide.

Any ideas what these are called or if they are a thing even?

Is it replacing your other PC, or in addition to? Why 2 machines? Would a virtual machine suffice?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Theoretically though you could just plug this into a regular pc and it would power on.

5F8B7C0A-75E3-4A53-A978-93CE01624C71.jpeg.8868db01816e1ad9017551553560110c.jpeg

Youd have to power the cpu but the rest is handled by the pcie power. It would be completely independent otherwise provided you had the physical space to leave a hanging pcie x8 connection after the end of the card.

14 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I know Intel made a few

intel-nuc-11-compute-element-dbb-i9i7-side-16x9.jpg.rendition.intel.web.1920.1080.jpg

It was their Beast Canyon line of NUCs. That said, I have no idea if it would actually work inside a PCIe slot, so it only might work. 

From what I can find it uses the pcie slot for power AND for discovering a pcie device so I don't think it will work for ops purpose since it will try to take over hardware or just freak out.

For op they can just get a nuc and double sided tape it to the bottom of the desk.

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Is it replacing your other PC, or in addition to? Why 2 machines? Would a virtual machine suffice?

I got a Windows machine I only use for playing games really, and the second machine is to replace my work machine which is a Ubuntu one. A virtual Machine would sadly not do it. I have been thinking about it. It just doesn't cover my needs at the time

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

From what I can find it uses the pcie slot for power AND for discovering a pcie device so I don't think it will work for ops purpose since it will try to take over hardware or just freak out.

For op they can just get a nuc and double sided tape it to the bottom of the desk.

Hmm that is an option tp just tape it to the desk 

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I know Intel made a few

intel-nuc-11-compute-element-dbb-i9i7-side-16x9.jpg.rendition.intel.web.1920.1080.jpg

It was their Beast Canyon line of NUCs. That said, I have no idea if it would actually work inside a PCIe slot, so it only might work. 

Hmm I could cover the pins up with some tape and then just "slot it in" lol

16 minutes ago, MrXeno said:

Hmm I could cover the pins up with some tape and then just "slot it in" lol

I NEEDS to connect to the pcie slot for power. This is not optional. It will also try to communicate with pcie devices and it has never been tested in a normal pc so you'd be the first to try it.

Buy a deskmini x300 and just shove it on the back of your monitor or something, you can get them barebones or prebuilt though id still go for barebones for better price and component selection (aka not cheaping out on ram or storage)

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I NEEDS to connect to the pcie slot for power. This is not optional. It will also try to communicate with pcie devices and it has never been tested in a normal pc so you'd be the first to try it.

Found a video after I saw the card, it works kinda

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Buy a deskmini x300 and just shove it on the back of your monitor or something, you can get them barebones or prebuilt though id still go for barebones for better price and component selection (aka not cheaping out on ram or storage)

I will keep that one in mind, thx!

2 hours ago, MrXeno said:

I got a Windows machine I only use for playing games really, and the second machine is to replace my work machine which is a Ubuntu one. A virtual Machine would sadly not do it. I have been thinking about it. It just doesn't cover my needs at the time

Why wouldn’t w VM or dual boot setup work? What are the requirements needed that this wouldn’t support? 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 hours ago, LIGISTX said:

Why wouldn’t w VM or dual boot setup work? What are the requirements needed that this wouldn’t support? 

1. Power bill, I don't game more then maybe 2 hours a day out of 6 hours in total of my free time

2. I upgrade my gaming machine far more then I upgrade my ubuntu machine which gets an upgrade every 4-6 years give or take

My ubuntu machine is something I always use for my everyday stuff like banking, office work, IT hobby etc so I rarely upgrade it and i need it to always works which is something I don't see with a VM when the host breaks I need to setup a new VM host for it which is more work then I want to deal with. 

If i wanted to run it in an VM style I would throw it on my proxmox server with a small gpu pass through and call it aday. I just don't like VM's for everyday machines. For services its fine and perfect just not for everyday compute work (If you ever have had to deal with Citrix you know the amount of pain there is to this)

I do run my Arch in an VM as I tend to break it alot when learning lol