Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ethernet Question

Midwest Jordan
 Share

Alright, I'm trying to switch my ethernet adapter from 100mbps Full Duplex to 1BGPS Full Duplex. But when I switch it's like it won't read the internet. I have CAT6 cable and 1gbps from my IPS. Any ideas?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

What laptop/computer motherboard and router do you have? If either device doesn’t support gigabit, manually changing the setting to gigabit won’t do you any good.

Edited by The_russian
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The_russian said:

What laptop/computer motherboard and router do you have? If either device doesn’t support gigabit, manually changing the setting to gigabit won’t do you any good.

Cant remember the name of the motherboard but I know it does 1GBPS because that's the reason I got it. I have a Netgear Mesh Wifi 6 system that's good for 1.8GBPS Speeds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Midwest Jordan said:

1.8GBPS Speeds

Thats a WiFi rating and has nothing to do with Ethernet, furthermore that number is theoretical in the real world you wouldn't see close to that. Just because the router has Gigabit ports, doesnt mean it support Gigabit internet. The hardware inside of the router has to be strong enough to do NAT at Gigabit speeds. A lot of routers fall short of this. 

 

40 minutes ago, Midwest Jordan said:

100mbps Full Duplex to 1BGPS Full Duplex. But when I switch it's like it won't read the internet. I have CAT6 cable

Cable could be damaged. Id try another cable. You need all 8 wires for Gigabit and above speeds. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your computer will need to be directly connected to the "core" router to get anywhere near 1Gbps. If you connect your computer to one of the "satellite" routers and that satellite router is not connected by Ethernet back to the "core" router you will not be able to get 1Gbps.

 

Core router = router connected to the modem

 

Satellite router = one of the mesh access points.

 

While your cable may be cat 6, if there is any break in the cable or issue with the termination you will not be able to get 1Gbps. So, you may need to try a different cable. (Also you can still get 1Gbps with a cat5e cable)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Midwest Jordan said:

Cant remember the name of the motherboard but I know it does 1GBPS because that's the reason I got it. I have a Netgear Mesh Wifi 6 system that's good for 1.8GBPS Speeds

Next things to check would be to make sure the modem has a gigabit port, and as someone mentioned try a different cable. The cable can be damaged in a way that 100Mbps will work just fine, but it won’t be able to negotiate to 1Gbps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, The_russian said:

Next things to check would be to make sure the modem has a gigabit port, and as someone mentioned try a different cable. The cable can be damaged in a way that 100Mbps will work just fine, but it won’t be able to negotiate to 1Gbps. 

The modem is irrelevant. His pc is hooked up to a stand alone router. His link speed is negotiated using that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×