Is This A Good Day Trading PC Help/Recommendations?!

TLDR; Build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Pnpc3Z

Hey Everyone,

I am building my first PC in years, its main and only use is for day trading. I am looking for $3000 all in MAX (I understand I am almost there pre-taxes), I am simply looking for the best value to dollar ratio of everything. If you have any additional recommendations or less expensive builds that will accomplish what I am looking for, please let me know!

I am mainly wanting to know if this GPU will in fact run 6 1080p monitors??? (With Mini display port to HDMI)

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Pnpc3Z

Budget (including currency): $3000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Day Trading, nothing else.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

TLDR; Build: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Pnpc3Z

Hey Everyone,

I am building my first PC in years, its main and only use is for day trading. I am looking for $3000 all in MAX. I would really like 6 monitors in the build price if humanly possible.

I am simply looking for the best value to dollar ratio of everything. If you have any additional recommendations or less expensive builds that will accomplish what I am looking for, please let me know!

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Pnpc3Z

Merged the 2 threads, better to ask all the questions together. 

To the GPU question that's what it's made for yes, but note that it's a 10 year old card that doesn't support UEFI, so you'd have to run the BIOS in legacy mode which might cause issues with modern OSes or prevent you from getting a display output until this is changed.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That's what it's made for yes, but note that it's a 10 year old card that doesn't support UEFI, so you'd have to run the BIOS in legacy mode which might cause issues with modern OSes or prevent you from getting a display output until this is changed.

This I did not know, your a life saver! Considering this is simply only being used for computing power, maybe it wont be a problem??

In the off chance it is, is there another GPU you can recommend and or inexpensive route to get something like a 1050TI to work on 6 Monitors/ have 6 outports?? Or alternatives?

7 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Yes it will. The specs say it can run 6 4K monitors.

I saw this and was more than surprised, hence why I thought for under $300, it could not be beat. Now it just to make sure its compatible with windows 10??

It would work but the card is not worth the money.

Your chosen motherboard has 3 pci-e x16 slots, so you could just use 2 or 3 video cards. Sure, just the first slot is pci-e x16 with actually 16 lanes, but you don't need 16 lanes for 2D stuf.

For example, you could buy a couple AMD Radeon WX2100 cards, which are from 2017 and kinda similar in performance with RX 550

They're available for around $100 on eBay, here's a link from a seller that claims he sold 22 and still has 7 :  https://www.ebay.com/itm/184929341543?hash=item2b0ea5d067%3Ag%3A4YMAAOSwK7tg5loW&LH_BIN=1

They're also low power, probably under 50w each, so they're powered strictly from the pci-e slot. Yeah you'd still need some mini-displayport to hdmi adapters, as they come with 2 mini-displayport and one regular displayport.

There's also drivers available from Windows Server 2008 all the way to Windows 11:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/radeon-pro/radeon-pro-wx-x100-series/radeon-pro-wx-2100

On nVidia's side, I'm not up to date with their models, but probably Quadro P400 would be from around the same time, and cost about the same : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=quadro+p400&_sop=12&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

The P600 should have 4 mini displayport outputs but cost around $150

Not sure about the driver situation.

6 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

https://www.visiontek.com/products/radeon-7750-2gb-gddr5-6m-6x-minidp?variant=40552999485589

Actually looking at the specs 4 of your displays have to be DP or use an Active Adapter.

I know this may sound clear, but just to confirm, does that mean this should work?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-27-1080p-hd-75hz-1ms-gtg-tn-led-gaming-monitor-gf276-abmipx-black/11580775?cmp=seo-11580775&cmp=knc-s-71700000074543332&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlMrPu86-9AIVwx-tBh092Qc2EAQYASABEgI2kfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It does state 1 Display port for each monitor but again, just confirming.

Edit: Answered Below. Thank you Mod!

Also, is there really any easier, similar cost options as to just getting this card? (Its really simple stuff it would be running)

Edited by WintersQuestions

The monitors they listed have DP inputs so no problem beyond getting the proper amount of mini / full size cables.

Also note that your mobo has 2 display outputs and your CPU has internal graphics to make use of them so you don't necessarily need a GPU with more than 4 outputs / 2 GPUs with 2 each.

The original card would likely work and you could use the iGPU to change the BIOS settings first, but for example an upgrade to Windows 11 wouldn't be officially supported, and you should really be using Win11 on 12th gen intel (although it's probably not that bad for such basic use).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

17 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The monitors they listed have DP inputs so no problem beyond getting the proper amount of mini / full size cables.

Also note that your mobo has 2 display outputs and your CPU has internal graphics to make use of them so you don't necessarily need a GPU with more than 4 outputs / 2 GPUs with 2 each.

The original card would likely work and you could use the iGPU to change the BIOS settings first, but for example an upgrade to Windows 11 wouldn't be officially supported, and you should really be using Win11 on 12th gen intel (although it's probably not that bad for such basic use).

I appreciate you making points on all of those. Just to confirm, say I got a better supported GPU with 4 ports, would plugging in the monitors to the motherboard be as simple as that? (I.E, not having to play with BOIS and possible hiccups in the future)

Also, if I went that route, is there a GPU you recommend at all? I really am trying to stay away from used if possible, have only seen/ heard of bad experiences.

EDIT: Also, what would the benefit of the CPU and windows 11 be? I have not read much about it other than dollar value wise, it was the best.

EDIT: Also, @Kilrah since your clearly versed well with this all, any chance you recommend a different build? My main goal is having all the CPU/Memory power I have here, with some future proofing in mind if it only costs a few hundred difference. Value>Performance.

Edited by WintersQuestions

14 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It would work but the card is not worth the money.

Your chosen motherboard has 3 pci-e x16 slots, so you could just use 2 or 3 video cards. Sure, just the first slot is pci-e x16 with actually 16 lanes, but you don't need 16 lanes for 2D stuf.

They're also low power, probably under 50w each, so they're powered strictly from the pci-e slot. Yeah you'd still need some mini-displayport to hdmi adapters, as they come with 2 mini-displayport and one regular displayport.

There's also drivers available from Windows Server 2008 all the way to Windows 11:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/professional-graphics/radeon-pro/radeon-pro-wx-x100-series/radeon-pro-wx-2100

On nVidia's side, I'm not up to date with their models, but probably Quadro P400 would be from around the same time, and cost about the same : https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=quadro+p400&_sop=12&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

The P600 should have 4 mini displayport outputs but cost around $150

Not sure about the driver situation.

I appreciate your reply!

In the case of avoiding used parts, other than the P400/P600, what would you recommend if I was to say go with a 2 gpu/ different single gpu configuration??

It seems A. I should be using Windows 11 for the new CPU (Not a clue why, I just saw this was the best dollar value)

and B. My Motherboard may be able to handle 2 of the monitors already?

14 minutes ago, WintersQuestions said:

I appreciate your reply!

In the case of avoiding used parts, other than the P400/P600, what would you recommend if I was to say go with a 2 gpu/ different single gpu configuration??

It seems A. I should be using Windows 11 for the new CPU (Not a clue why, I just saw this was the best dollar value)

and B. My Motherboard may be able to handle 2 of the monitors already?

Your CPU kinda requires Windows 11, because it's the only operating system besides Linux which understands the difference between economy cores and performance cores.  I guess you could disable economy cores in BIOS and then use Windows 10, or just straight use Windows 10 and risk some applications crashing because of the difference between these types of cores.

Officially, the integrated graphics inside the processor can handle up to 4 outputs - but it depends on the motherboard how many video outputs you will get. Most will only put 2 or 3 video connectors on the IO shield. 

Yes, you can have monitors connected to the integrated graphics inside the CPU and you can have additional video cards and monitors connected to additional video cards.

I have suggested two dedicated video cards because 1. you may choose to go with a cpu without integrated graphics (ex the ones with KF or F at the end) or AMD processors without integrated graphics)  and 2.  you would most likely have a more stable system, as you have only one video driver handling both video cards and you may have more options about organizing the displays in a matrix.

As it is, you'll have the Intel video card driver handling a few monitors, and you'll have the AMD or nVidia drivers handling other monitors. You may have other minor annoyances that may not bother you at all, like let's say slightly different gamma or colors between the two video cards.

Right now, new video cards are very expensive, I really don't recommend buying new video cards.  These workstation video cards are fairly safe purchases, they had no value as mining video cards, so they weren't abused... most likely were kept on shelves as spare parts for existing machines, or pulled from workstation machines before they were scrapped or sold as refurbished computers with integrated graphics.

If you're not stuck on Intel, you can save a lot of money with AMD system ... you get cheaper motherboards, you get cheap cpus, you can use stock coolers ... not sure how much raw cpu power you actually need for the trading software.

For example, you're paying $280 on a motherboard that has the same features as a $150 AMD motherboard.... and some CPUs come with a decent stock cooler included in the package, so you save more money by not having to buy a separate cooler.

It the same story with video outputs though, at best you're gonna get motherboards that have 1 hdmi, 1 displayport and 1 vga - all 3 capable of at least 1080p.

13 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Your CPU kinda requires Windows 11, because it's the only operating system besides Linux which understands the difference between economy cores and performance cores.  I guess you could disable economy cores in BIOS and then use Windows 10, or just straight use Windows 10 and risk some applications crashing because of the difference between these types of cores.

Officially, the integrated graphics inside the processor can handle up to 4 outputs - but it depends on the motherboard how many video outputs you will get. Most will only put 2 or 3 video connectors on the IO shield. 

Yes, you can have monitors connected to the integrated graphics inside the CPU and you can have additional video cards and monitors connected to additional video cards.

I have suggested two dedicated video cards because 1. you may choose to go with a cpu without integrated graphics (ex the ones with KF or F at the end) or AMD processors without integrated graphics)  and 2.  you would most likely have a more stable system, as you have only one video driver handling both video cards and you may have more options about organizing the displays in a matrix.

As it is, you'll have the Intel video card driver handling a few monitors, and you'll have the AMD or nVidia drivers handling other monitors. You may have other minor annoyances that may not bother you at all, like let's say slightly different gamma or colors between the two video cards.

Right now, new video cards are very expensive, I really don't recommend buying new video cards.  These workstation video cards are fairly safe purchases, they had no value as mining video cards, so they weren't abused... most likely were kept on shelves as spare parts for existing machines, or pulled from workstation machines before they were scrapped or sold as refurbished computers with integrated graphics.

If you're not stuck on Intel, you can save a lot of money with AMD system ... you get cheaper motherboards, you get cheap cpus, you can use stock coolers ... not sure how much raw cpu power you actually need for the trading software.

For example, you're paying $280 on a motherboard that has the same features as a $150 AMD motherboard.... and some CPUs come with a decent stock cooler included in the package, so you save more money by not having to buy a separate cooler.

It the same story with video outputs though, at best you're gonna get motherboards that have 1 hdmi, 1 displayport and 1 vga - all 3 capable of at least 1080p.

Okay, you are awesome! Thank you! And sorry about the two of the same questions on the GPU's.

Okay, a few more questions if you dont mind:

1. With all that the new Intel lineup has, what would you recommend if raw processing power is all I am after? (Im not even sure how Windows 11 even is)..... What is your take on the AMD lineup if I am only saving a couple hundred dollars?? (Not worried about a few hundred for future proofing tbh)

2. Any idea if there is a similar priced Motherboard with 3 outputs where I could have the CPU handle 3, and the GPU the other 3? This would be fantastic!

I completely understand the value of used GPU's especially right now, as this setup I've budgeted for $3000, unless I can get a setup with better power to dollar value, I am not worried about the few hundred savings if it really made a world of difference. (If I am spending $2500, why not $3000 if its that much better)

I would take AMD's lineup because it's a proven design, that more or less has all the quirks solved by now (already at 3rd or 4rd generation depending on how you count things), and because Intel's new platform doesn't bring you anything new besides DDR5 (which you don't use and it's expensive and basically out of stock)  and pci-e 5.0 (which doesn't matter, as current video cards don't even saturate the pci-e 4.0 bandwidth and you don't plan on using the computer for games.

Right now the new Intel platform has 12600 (6 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores) , 12700 (8p + 4e) and 12900 (8p + 8e) , and there's versions without integrated graphics but not for sale yet (the ones with F at the end)

The 12900 is not a great choice, because the extra 4 efficiency cores don't bring that much more raw performance compared to 12700k but you pay more and you also increase power consumption a lot.

The 12600k is naturally slower than 12700 because it has 2 less performance cores.

As an AMD comparison, the $350  6 core 12600k is maybe 5-10% faster than the 6 core 5600x which costs $299 and comes with a stock cooler that's reasonable. 

If you want performance higher than 12600k's performance, there's 5800x now on sale at $340  but just like with Intel's cpu, you'd have to buy a separate cpu cooler as it doesn't come with one in the box. 

As for power consumption,  it will consume around 30-50w more compared to 5600x  and around 20w more compared to 5800x, so it is a bit more power hungry.

Where you benefit is motherboard price, where a 5600x can be used even with a $80-100 motherboard at maximum power, it's simply not a power hungry cpu, so there's no need for a complex motherboard with big VRM. For 5800x, a $100-130 is plenty.

As for CPUs with integrated graphics, 5700g from AMD is somewhere between the 5600x and the 12600k as raw performance. The 5600g is maybe a couple percent slower than 5600x which in turn is a few percent slower than 12600k

Speaking of integrated graphics, majority of motherboards will have only two video outputs, usually a HDMI and DIsplayPort ... the reasoning is that if you can afford to spend $150-$300 on a motherboard, you're not gonna pair it with a $400-600 cpu to use the integrated graphics, and 2 displays are what most people are gonna use in that case.

Some more budget boards may have 3 outputs, one of which is usually VGA for backwards compatibility with older monitors.

Here's an example of a configuration with 5700g  and 3 video outputs (hdmi+displayport+vga), can be cheaper if you go get the video card on the used market : 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/PBZ63Z

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ Canada Computers)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($148.75 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($132.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($103.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: AMD Radeon Pro WX 2100 2 GB Video Card  ($228.99 @ PC-Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($121.84 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($116.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1282.30

Here's a build without integrated graphics, with 5800x, but with a motherboard that has 3 pci-e x16 slots  ( x16 , x4 , x2) and no graphics cards included, so you could add 2 used wx2100 or whatever video cards you want:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Xj2hnL

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($419.99 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($109.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($209.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($132.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($103.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($114.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.99 @ Canada Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($116.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1258.15

It can be made a bit cheaper with let's say a $50-75 cooler (Scythe Fuma 2 or Scythe Mugen for example, just don't see prices on pc part picker for them) and/or a cheaper case ...

You'll notice I went with a 550w psu ... you simply don't need something more powerful. The CPU consumes at most 100-120w and the video cards maybe 50w each so you won't even get close to 200-300w power consumption.

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/dKpgdRSeiwv7neHGRx9h5h-970-80.jpg.webp