SSD endurance and wear-out indicator

So I have a SSD 530 and have had it for a while. In SSD Toolbox it says roughly 720GB written and 730GB read since I started using it.

post-68106-0-89475800-1397370980.png

Intel's warranty policy is as follows: 5 year warranty but the warranty expiry period is actually the following two conditions, and warranty expires when the first out of the two is met.

1) 5 years passed since invoice.

2) Media wearout indicator has reached maximum value. 

Now, the SSD 530 is rated at 20GB/day for 5 years. That would bring it to 36.5TB over five years. Assuming that the media wearout indicator is based on this figure, I would be up to about 2% of that amount at the moment. 

Does the media wearout indicator take into account reads as well as writes? If that's the case, isn't that kinda unfair for someone who doesn't really write much to the SSD?

SSD's wear out faster when writing*, so someone who writes a lot to an ssd shouldn't be using the SSD as a main storage drive. it's best for reading utilites, like a ROM. I would say it's pretty fair.

SSD's wear out faster when reading writing, so someone who writes a lot to an ssd shouldn't be using the SSD as a main storage drive. it's best for reading utilites, like a ROM. I would say it's pretty fair.

You meant writing. They wear out faster when writing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You meant writing. They wear out faster when writing.

Yes I meant writing, I was thinking of something else when writing that.

SSD's wear out faster when reading, so someone who writes a lot to an ssd shouldn't be using the SSD as a main storage drive. it's best for reading utilites, like a ROM. I would say it's pretty fair.

Does main storage drives means the drives where you put OS and frequently opened program? 

*english is not my main language so please pardon my level of noob

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

Does main storage drives means the drives where you put OS and frequently opened program? 

*english is not my main language so please pardon my level of noob

Main storage as like having just an ssd for all storage needs, including the OS and all apps. Like having one ssd in a system.

Main storage as like having just an ssd for all storage needs, including the OS and all apps. Like having one ssd in a system.

Oh ok. I think I understand that now.

Thanks dude

MB :MSI Z77a G45 | Proc: I5 3570K (Stock) | HSF : CM 212X turbo | RAM : Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2X4GB) | VGA : MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr | PSU : Corsair GS600 | Case : CM Storm Enforcer | Storage :  OCZ Vector 128GB, WD Blue 500GB , Samsung 840 Evo 120GB, WD Blue 1TB

Don't worry about endurance. Obivously if you write more data, then your warranty is out, but it will take long before ssd will actually ran out of good cells.

Also FYI reading does _not_ affect endurance in any way.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

I would not worry too much about SSD endurance to be honest.

I recently came across a five-month endurance test of a Samsung 840

(Evo I think). The guy wrote 3 Petabytes to the drive until it was

dead. link

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

The warranty != to the actual capability of the drive. Typically you'll find it can write about 3000 x 240GB or so to the disk = 703TB. Its going to take an awful long time to get there, and when you do the disk will become read only.

and to make matter even better; flash cells almost never die at its rated rewrites, but usually take alot more (3x-10x more) for them to completly die.

So yeah PBs of writes on a MLC drive is quiete achieveable.

+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Glorious PC master gaming race :wub: ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
BigBox: Asus P8Z77-V, 3570k, 8GB Ram, Intel 180GB & Sammy 750GB, HD4000, W7
PiBox: Rasberry Pi, BCM @ 1225Mhz ^_^ , 256MB Ram, 16GB Storage, pIO, Raspbian

I've written over 7.5TB for the past 2yrs now on my Intel 520. It'll take a long time before you will even reach that theoretical write rate limit of 36.5TB and even by then,I doubt it will just fail by itself.

I would not worry too much about SSD endurance to be honest.I recently came across a five-month endurance test of a Samsung 840(Evo I think). The guy wrote 3 Petabytes to the drive until it wasdead. link

Petabytes sound kinda pervy. I feel like they should be exclusively stored in Peta-files. (lol) And yes, sometimes I have the sense of humor of a 5 year old. :-P :-)